Transporting Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foalfan

Reaction score
I am trying to get information on transporting 2 minis from MD to NM.

Ground shipping will be an option for us by private or commercial haulers but I would also like to explore air shipping.

Have you ever shipped by air within the US? What company did you use and what was the cost? Would you ship by air again?

Karen

Air shipping is outrageous, it makes the cost of ground shipping look like pocket change. If you're willing to pay, it's your best option. Less stress, and your little ones are there within a couple of hours. Howver, it's very expensive, and you can only fly them if the air is a certain temperature (72 degrees - 82 degrees, I think).

The last mini I flew was from the Northwest all the way to Florida. The horse went Delta Air Cargo and the bill was $575.00. The crate was 100.00. (NOT a dogcrate, and price determined on total weight of crate and horse combined) I saved $250 by flying this horse who would have been on the road for close to a week as opposed to a morning in the air. And yes there are temperature restrictions.

If you need anymore information from me you can PM or email me. We fly a lot of horses.

Carol

Like Carol, we have air shipped horses before......on Delta. The cost was considerably less than ground shipping. There are plans available for construction of a plywood crate.

Charlotte

I personally have not transported by air a horse of mine but my friend here in CT has flown her horse in from CT to Fort Worth TX for the National Show a few years back. Everything went well and she was pleased.

Sorry about that, I guess I need to eat my words about the cost. We had checked about flying a horse we sold to Alaska, and it was going to cost around $4,500. Ground shipping was half that cost, but there are exceptions to everything!

The rate is about that same for shipping a dog...I paid 475 from Texas to Minn.. and so you see even at the mini rate of 550 is not that much difference in shipping a mini...Cool...And this was also on Delta~! I Highly recommend that carrier for your animals, whatever critter you may what to ship
aktion033.gif

Thank You everyone! I really appreciate the help.

It looks like I will be contacting Delta Cargo.

Charlotte...where can I find the crate plans?

Thanks,

Karen

Too bad you weren't closer, I have a crate I will never use again. We flew our horse to the nationals in Reno, he laid down for two days when he got there. The airline, which we had called several times to confirm the arrangements had a brain fart when Mike McCabe showed up with the horse (he was the ticketed passenger flying with him). We were already on the road to Reno with our horse trailer and panicking. Had to ship COD and hope we could get it all fixed by the time he landed. What a nightmare! Poor horse was beat. Still went National Champion, had enough recovery time. We hauled him home in the trailer and he bounced off, fresh as could be after 50 hours straight driving. Never, Never never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no.gif
no.gif

the only experience i have is on a specialized horsey plane where they werent cargo... a whole different experience

Latest posts

Back