Transport question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Spoke Ranch

Reaction score
Hi international transport experts:

There is someone from India inquiring about several of our horses and he would like to have them shipped to India. I gave him contact information to EZ to Spot and he just e-mailed me back saying he doesn't want to use them because he feels they are too expensive. He now wants to have the horses shipped as cargo. I'm not feeling comfortable with that. Besides, the last I knew any horse being exported from the U.S. has to be quarantined and that’s the information I passed along to him. Is it true you can send miniatures safely as cargo and avoid them being quarantined?

Those who know, please advise.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Sorry but i just have to ask if you have considered this a scam? Not long ago I had a gentleman from India ring me inquiring about several of my horses. he also wanted to find the most inexpensive way of transporting them, and once he mentioned 'basic cargo', I politely declined his offers. I'm afraid that anyone who suggests anything but the best form of transport for one of my horses, however short the trip, can go and look elsewhere!

Again, sorry that I haven't been of any help -- perhaps others here have experience of exporting to India, or know of any Mini breeding studs out there who could perhaps vouch for the gentleman who is in contact with you?

Anna

Anna, that was the first thing I considered.. a scam. Sounds very fishy to me.....

I don't know India's import requirements, but I can't imagine any country allowing horses in without some sort of quarantine--and if someone wants to ship a horse in as cargo & bypass quarantine, that is essentially smuggling. There's no way that I would sell a horse to anyone that said that to me, that a professional quarantine facility/shipper was too expensive and they want to ship the horse as cargo. Not a chance.

My first thought was scam too, but if this buyer is real I am definitely with Anna!!

Thanks guys:

I don't think this guy is a hoax because of all the good questions he’s been asking me about miniatures and that he did call EZ to Spot transport from India. I received an e-mail from EZ to Spot that he called them for a quote. I’m thinking he may be inquiring about going the cargo route out of sticker shock and out ignorance. Either way if he is unable to use a reputable transport company I will be unable to help him.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. They are most appreciated.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

I recieved an email from someone in India this past week looking for a pair of mini's, a stud and mare. Wanted them under 29 inches so I didn't pay much attention as I don't raise horses that small. I'm not sure if this person is a scammer or not. Wasn't excited to send money, more of an inquiry about stock that I have, so could be legit. I am always a bit leary, but either way they are going to have to follow export guidlines...and not it's not cheap. Good Luck!

I received an email also from someone looking to buy a mare and a stallion under 29" and export them to India. He also wanted info on how to ship and what the cost would be. I replied that I didn't have anything available with that description but gave the websites for the international quarantines I knew of. Unfortunately my email to him bounced back. I did not get the feeling it was a scam though, he seemed legit to me. I don't have much experience in this but he seemed sincere in his desire for knowledge on the procedure.

I am guessing that this is the same guy who has been making enquiries here in the UK too. My initial thoughts were that he is a scammer too. He did seem to ask all the right questions, but after some conversation he then started asking for pictures of traditional gypsy cobs
default_unsure.png
When I didn.t respond he stopped mailing, but then contacted us recently ( his original contact was some 2-3 months ago) asking the same questions all over again. I was not comfortable with it.

I sent you a private message about this situation... But I will say it to the rest too... Someone posted that if they were not looking into forking out the change for a GOOD ,reliable importing service , then you wouldnt give him one of your horses...YES YES...that is a very good way to look at this.
default_smile.png

scam or no scam, these horses are expensive , and a privlidge (sp) to have. importing them is minimal compared to the bill they hand you once you have them in your country.
default_unsure.png
I would want to sell my beautiful , and well cared for horse to someone that will also do the best for the horse once it changes hands, and skimping on the quarantine and flight is NOT a good sign.The horse will go in a cargo plane not in a passenger plane , but cargo as in a ship??? that I believe is not allowed or acceptable . It would take a month to get to India by ship , and the ocean is no place for a horse, i cant imagine the stress it would be on the horse in a storm. I would stay clear of any exporting to people or places you cant do a background check on. Or get to know a bit better first. If your horses are nice they will sell... just wait until someone clicks with you too .

I also got an email this past weekend from a person in India about wanting a breeding pair of minis 28-29".......I thought scam too, but just because I wanted to see the response I replied......

as from his emails it seems legit - asks good questions, good english, grammar ext....

I did get a reply to my email, but I dont' breed for tines so I left it at that, didn't dig deeper.

Hi- We use IRT for majority of our international shipping along with Shortview. Many people don't know about IRT- they ship everywhere in the world- mostly race horses. They are 100% reliable and experienced. Go to www.flyirt.com. There are certain requirements for each country to import- not all are the same. Depending on the requirements for India- will change the costs. I have had a few parties show interest as well in horses going to India- and again they said the import costs were too high and wanted to buy cheaper horses (under $1000.). I told them I would not send pet quality there as representatives of our farm just to save them on import costs- not to say this is the same person. I tell prospective international buyers to do their research on costs and then save their money to buy quality horses worth the import costs. Why would you spend $8,000 to ship a horse that isn't worth $500 here???? I never assume someone is a scam- especially with the international buyers as their english isn't always good. Many times I get e-mails in other languages and I have to translate them to even know they are asking about horses.

Hope that helps. Robin-LKF

He contacted us as well. If this ever progressed I would want to know how and where the horses would be kept.

Dawn,

I too got an email from him. I had a feeling it was a scam. I did respond and his English is not bad, but I was still uncomfortable with him and some of his responses.

I got the same email again a day later, almost word for word, even thought I had already responded to him.

The last email I got from him had a whole LONG list of Miniature breeders on it. Again, I got concerned as he seems to be sending this email to everyone on a long list. The first inquiry only had my email, but I think he slipped up with the last email with all of those email addresses on it.

Just because he has a good command of the English language, does not mean it is not a scam.

When I told him what I had available I gave him my web site to look at. He came back and asked me for every horse that I had that was not for sale. He had started out asking for horses under 28 to 29", but was inquiring about horses I had that were 32 and 33", as it says on my web site.

HE does not seem to want to spend any money on the purchase of good horses or the price to send them into quarantine. does not sound like he would take good care f them.

I would be very careful with this one.

Folks be very careful here - this says scam to me. They are very intelligent - go pfhising for information, speak and write very good english and can ask all the right questions - even call for a quote. BUT I would still be very cautionary - be very firm if it is real - we have to do what the US government says about shipping horses out of the US, that means a quarantine. You don't want fines levied at you for not following proper procedures.

I got the very same email from this man wanting a colt and filly that would stay around 28 to 29" and yes he did call a quarantine facility but and I mean but..............as soon as I told him I would need more information about him the emails stopped! I think it is a scam.
default_rolleyes.gif

Wow, if this is the same man I’m beginning to wonder who he HASN'T contacted! At least he’s inquiring from some of the best farms in miniature horse world. I received another e-mail and he’s explaining how he had a dog flown to him from New York and is under the impression the same can be done with miniatures. Wouldn’t dogs be subject to import/export quarantine too?

What I’m not understanding is why someone is willing to spend a considerable amount for the horses they wish to purchase and take the time and money to contact multiple transport company’s and then get squeaky with transport costs. I asked for the amount of the quote he was given and although yes, it’s expensive I didn't think it was unreasonable.

Thanks everybody for your comments and advice and thank you Robin for another connection for international transport.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I received another e-mail and he’s explaining how he had a dog flown to him from New York and is under the impression the same can be done with miniatures. Wouldn’t dogs be subject to import/export quarantine too?
Dawn,

I have shipped my dogs overseas, but never to India and I am not sure that I would ship there.

You have to get a health certificate from your vet, then with that, go to the State office for a special health certificate, depending on what country you are shipping to.

In one case, I had to personally take the vets health certificate to a consulate in Chicago. That was to ship a dog to Brazil. Chicago is a 6 to 8 hour drive. Needless to say, I did not ship a dog to Brazil.

I would assume that shipping to India would be just as difficult and would require quarantine.

Not sure what his scam is, but still feel that it is one. The fact that he has contacted so many people on this forum, one can imagine how many he has contacted all over the world.

I guess I should feel slighted since I have NOT heard from this guy! LOL.

He's missed me too LOL....is he just slighting us in Texas?
default_biggrin.png

Jan

Latest posts

Back