Training for showing in halter class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a good website, recommend books, talk about your own process, etc. with regards to what you do to get a horse ready for a show, especially halter class?

I've been showing at my club's shows for the last 3 years and have learned a ton. My 4 yr old silver bay mare has done very well (2 Supremes this past season!). The shows are judged by AMHR judges.

In 2014, I'll have a new gelding along with this mare. I want to take that next step in showing. My goal is to go to the Old Dominion AMHA/AMHR show in May as well as the Delaware club's show (AMHR only) in July (?). These will be in addition to my club shows (5 shows from May through July).

As I watch the AMHA Worlds this week, I know I need to work on fitting my horses as well as training them to show well in the ring. I'd like recommendations on websites, books or your own methods of doing well in the show ring. Thanks in advance!

My favorite trainers to watch obviously take from the arabian show world, of course with a little tweaking. When I was training this year, I worked on getting the horses on a solid "whoa" and then keeping them out of my space with their attention always on me. Space is a big one-it's one that I see separates the pros from the non. Those horse should never try to lean into your space. But, there's a way to train for that and a way not to and a lot of people use the latter (the scare tactic). Stars has an excellent website and there are some really great arabian training websites and prep that you can find just by googling. Grab a coffee and have some computer time today
default_smile.png

Thanks ohmt
default_smile.png
I really do want to see if I can train them well enough so they stand rock solid and stretch their necks without leaning so far. I'm also watching to see who is winning in halter to see if I can detect anything there.

Latest posts

Back