Training for Parades and Jumping Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
I want to have my mare in the local Santa Claus Parade (just walking with my kids and decorated etc.) I have already taken her on the road, she is used to cars and trucks as well. I also have tied some plastic bags and scary things to her fence and got her de-spooked from that (fed her right under the objects so she would get used to them). She has jet planes go over her field really low and she seems fine with that (though it scares the heck out of me! :new_shocked: ). It takes a lot to spook her basically.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

She is well trained and longes, so she listens and learns really quick. Is there anything else I should do to prepare her? I just picture a skidding mini freaking out over the people and noise, but that is me, not her!

Also...she may be in foal and I have been jumping her every other day. She loves it and I only jump her 1 foot. She does not compete but I enjoy training her to do new things (she half knows how to bow!) so this is why I do it, plus she is my only mini. She was last bred June 27, so I am wondering when I should stop longing and jumping her? Obviously in winter when the snow is here, she won't be doing either, but just curious as to whether it is dangerous right now?

I can't give advice on jumping but I have had very pregnant mares jump and play in the pasture (all 4 feet off the ground) pretty far into their pregnancy. But that was them wanting to play and jump, not being asked to do it by me. Perhaps others can advise on that.

As for parades, we do every one we can. We take our horses to town on Sunday afternoons when the traffic seems less and walk them around to get used to noise and things. We have train tracks to cross in the parade here and it takes minis a bit to get the hang of that. My horses act better than most kids on the parade route....they really seem to LOVE the attention! We took our youngest and tiniest this year in July and by the end of the parade, she was strutting her stuff BIG time. Sounds like you are on the right track with acclimating them to noise, etc.

Our show arena is right by the railroad tracks here and the train seems to come by at least every hour. Nothing like showing in halter as a train roars by...LOL! But the horses get used to it pretty easily.

Suzie that is great that yours love parades. My mare had a very bad past so developed some bad habits I have trained her out of, but I don't trust her completely with kicking. She used to do it A LOT. Now she will try once in a blue moon and usually in unusual circumstances. Just worried she may hurt someone, so I am currently working on that too.

I know what you mean about mares playing in the pasture, but mine hardly ever moves unless I ask her to, she is pretty lazy. She does enjoy longing and jumping though. I never push her too hard anyway and keep the sessions under 1/2 hour.

Trains!? Yikes, I thought planes were bad!
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back