Training for a show. 2 yr stallion is now a freak over mares.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
I have been working with this horse for the past 6 weeks. I mean every day. I finally got him to walk, stop, square up and even stand for some time. I had always been working him out behind the barn in the pasture and the round pen. Away from all of the other horses. I was really begining to think. This may really work. :aktion033:

Then last night I had the 2 mares and foals out in the back yard. Thinking, there are going to be a lot of other horses at this show. So I had better get him used to seeing mares, and other horses and at the same time keep his mind on me. Boy was I hopefull. :eek:

Well, his hormones took over and he about drug me around. I turned him loose in the round pen thinking I could run a little of his excitment off. It did not work.

(and to think I have not even let him breed a mare yet, what would he do after he gets a taste of the good stuff
default_unsure.png
: )

I eventually put the mares in and then went over and worked him a little then got him settled enough where he would let me put the lead back on him and walked him around the pen some. I had to put him up because a bad storm was starting. Now I am thinking, I had just mailed off my pre entries. Am I going to get killed at this show?

So if this happened to you. Would you work him more in the round pen with other horses in sight or work more on trying to lead him and make him listen while walking.

I hope I explained this right.

Deb

Stallions are a lot of fun to show but are also more of a challenge. Sorry to tell you but more round penning

is not going to help with his hormone issue. Work him on the lead more around other horses. He must learn

to concentrate on you even with all of the distractions. Takes time and patience. He will come to life a little more at the show but if you can keep his attention at home working around the other horses you should be okay. If his actions are intinadating presently you might want to hold off and show another horse this time.

Good luck with him.

Carol

From your description, it sounds like YOU are not ready to be showing a stallion at the shows. Stallions are not for the novice handler, even miniature sized ones. Stallions of any size are unpredictable and take careful training and handling to ensure that the people are safe and that the stallion's delicate ego is intact.

If your mini stallion is dragging you around at home, YOU are not ready to handle a stallion at the show. It is NOT the stallion's fault. Stallions are going to be stallions. That is why most people geld them, as they are more easily handled. By mishandling a stallion, you are making it a more dangerous situation and you risk making the stallion more angry and unpredictable.

I suggest getting someone experienced in stallion handling to help you learn how a stallion thinks, and the proper way to communicate (communicate, not discipline) with them.

Round penning is not going to burn off any hormones. And anyway, an experienced showman WANTS their horse to have lots of energy and presence in the show ring. It does mean you need more expert handling to present them that way. An exhausted stallion does not necessarily make a better behaved stallion.

See if you can find someone around who has a breeding stallion that has manners you admire. Then ask for tips from the handler to see how they preserve their stallion's mind yet get those good manners out of it.

If you want show ring experience, start with a gelding or mare. It will make your experience a positive one, and more fun.

Andrea

When you are practicing at home, what type of halter are you using? I will always first use a work halter and walk a young stallion around mares and other stallions with a stud chain over his nose, a quick jerk as soon as you feel him even thinking about responding to them or getting interested in them and immediately changing dirrection for several walks at different times will get him listening better to you. We practice halter work in qa show halter so that he knows the difference between show and work. When I start breeding with them I use even a different halter, a heavier leather one so that he associates the different feels with different jobs. WE have been showing young stallions and senior stallions for years and while the first few shows can be quite a challenge, he will eventually learn so dont give up hope.

Lyn

I have met allot of good trainers but i have not met one that can train the horomones out of a horse just yet
default_smile.png

I think the biggest advice i can give, coming from someone who has delt with a 'gelding in denial' in the show ring who doesnt know he is a gelding is, just be prepaired. I always had to prepaire myself at the shows for the fact that Royal was going to act up and i always made sure i had an EXTREMELY strong halter on him and a stud chain under or over the nose as soon as he stepped off that horse trailer. At home he is just dandy, but at the shows he is another thing. Vicks in the nose. I think another issue to take care of at home is to let him know that YOU MEAN BUSINESS. My boys all know that i cam the boss and if momma aint happy aint nobody happy to some extent lol. Once i pull that stud chain they straighten up and come back to reality. I think if you have a FIRM standing with them at home then you should have a bit more control over them at a show.

I just got back a matter of hours ago from a show with my yearling colt and his problem is not noticing the mares, its noticing the stallions that can get to 'HIS' mares.

I would say do not fight his horomones bc you will loose. You just might have to take over and stand firm, yes i know he is your baby but he is a man now and a man that could do some damage if he wanted too.

Vicks works good to keep him from smelling the girls in the ring. One thing that i think adds to the situation is that the horses (especially stallions) are in the stalls all day the day before and then in the trailer and then in the stall all day at the show and all that extra energy builds and builds and then they let it out right when you walk them in the stall. I actually love stallions for the reason that they are a challange and that attitude of course.

Oh boy, he is at 'that age'!!

Is there someone who is experienced that will show him for you? He must learn there is a time and place and that at a show, or other times when he is 'working', it is not time for girls. Sometimes it is really tough.

If he continues to sit at home, he can become 'barn sour' and will not get any experience under his belt in regards to training and having exposure to these situations.

The more he travels and gets out and does stuff, the more he will learn that that is what he is supposed to be doing. If you are not confident in showing him, I would suggest maybe someone who has more experience help you.

You are right, there is going to be a hundred different distractions at the show of all kinds. Stallions and mares squealing, kids running, etc... He needs to learn to pay attention to YOU and not be dragging anyone around. I would start purposely setting up distractions at home, and make him learn to deal with it. Take him on a lead and walk him down the barn aisle or past the pens where the girls are. Make him behave and no squealing. You are going to have to work to keep his attention on you. Just keep walking, no stopping to visit.

When you are working with a mare, or grooming one, bring him out and tie him fairly close by. He will have to learn to stand there. He will probably paw, squeal, dance around, jump up and down. Ignore him and keep working on your mare. Take that mare back and bring another.

Not letting him have exposure to different situations does not help him. He must have practice, several times a day if need be, to learn to walk past mares, walk THROUGH a herd of mares eventually, work in a round pen and focus on you, no matter what is on the other side of the fence- just simple things.

There is a time for girls, and a time NOT for girls. If he is never exposed to anything and taught, he will never learn. Just my theory. And yes, he is going to be 50 levels higher at the show. I would probably see if someone there will help you with him, prior to your going, that is experienced with this kind of thing. They may be able to give you some great pointers for continuing his training.

Good luck. Stallions can be a real pill at times.

Yep, a very firm hand
default_yes.gif
: . At home when I take a stallion from one paddock to another a chain over the nose is what I use. A firm jerk when he is tooo excited hurts me more than it does him.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Something funny at a show happened to us one time. I was going to show our stallion for the first time. It was my first time showing a stallion, anyway all 31 in. of him was dynamite. I had his show halter on him

& he was danceing & spining around me. I got him settled & he wouldn't put IT away. A lady beside me felt sorry for me, she brought me over some vicks. I asked her what I should do with it. :eek: silly me she explained it to me & I thought all would be good. Then I looked the other way, Rocky pulled the lead from my hand & ran to the trailer next to ours, and my husband caught him in midair before he jumped the pretty willing mare :new_shocked:

Needless to say, we have showed several stallions to win halter & color championships & we have learned a lot :aktion033:

Here is a pic of the little stinker

e93acd18.jpg

I love what Disneyhorse and HG said to you .

I have seen way too many wrecks at shows caused by people who were there showing their horses prematurely with disasterous results.

I want you to keep up the good work at home. Do by all means keep working your horse around all your other horses and I also agree that round penning in this case is not going to solve your problem, but experience will! The more experience and confidence you get, the better your horse will become.

I do not need a chain on any of my stallions, here, in public or anywhere. Never did and actually don't even think I own a stallion lead except for the ones on my show halters. But they got that way through constant repitition of being mannered early on and your horse will too. They have their goofy days too but are still always manageable. Your horse will get it, give yourselves more time and don't be afraid to call in a professional for some help either. Don't get discourgaged but do realize that if you have to withdraw your entrees then do so rather than go out there and possibly get yourself, your horse, or endanger anyone else. You will be fine in time, just don't give up!

Thanks you all for your replies. I would have come on sooner, but every time I started to the lightening storms started again. "do not want to get zapped"

I had not been using a chain on him at all just a normal nylon halter. I am going to step up my time with him to about 3 times a day and do some of the things sugested.

The thing that threw me off the most. Was he has a mare in the stall right next to him and he gets excited when she comes into heat but not near the way when he saw the ones running free with their babies.

Thanks a lot.

Deb

Back