Trailer towing info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
With lots of talk of many of you buying new trailers
default_smile.png
, I thought I'd offer some info and tips.

Having suffered a blowout a few weeks ago :no: with one of my trailer tires, I've done some research and gathered valuable information I'd like to pass along.

Make sure your trailer tires are in good condition and the right air pressure before leaving on any trip. Keep your tires filled to the maximum psi located on the side of the tire. Be sure your tires are the proper ones for the trailer you are pulling according to the manufacturers recommendation (the correct load range for your trailer).

If at all possible, keep your trailer tires out of the direct sun when not in use. I found that sun and weather are more damaging to tires than actual wear. A tire can have plenty of tread, but still be in very poor condition from weather damage. My trailer does sit outside, but I found trailer tire covers on ebay that I ordered to keep mine covered when I'm not pulling it. They will help protect the tires from damaging sunlight.

A few more tips that I've found to be very helpful:

This is one of the best investments I've ever made! It's a Trailer Aid and I can tell you from my experience, it is a great invention! This allows you to change a tire with a loaded trailer and never have to use a jack! It's a must have for pulling a trailer in my opinion!

I would also invest in a good pair of Wheel Chocks. Always block your tires when your trailer is not attached to your towing vehicle! I can tell you that some years ago I was at a show where the trailers were parked on a flat, paved parking lot. I unhooked the 14' bumper pull trailer I had at the time and left it in the lot. Overnight, thunderstorms rolled through. When I got to the show grounds the next morning, my trailer wasn't where I left it. I thought at first it had been stolen! Looking around, I found it clear across the parking lot!! Apparantly, the storms had produced 60 - 70 mph winds and blew my trailer away! I had NOT blocked the wheels and I've never made that mistake since. It did do some damage to the jack on the trailer and I had to have it replaced. Fortunately, the trailer was able to hook back up to my towing vehicle to pull it home.

Lastly, with all the trailers stolen at AMHR Nationals last year, I would never leave my trailer unhooked without a Trailer Coupler Lock on it. They make these for both bumper pull and gooseneck trailers. These may not ultimately keep someone from stealing your trailer if they want it bad enough, but it would sure slow them down! A thief will likely look for an easier target!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this good advice along with the links for these products. Sometimes it's the most obvious things that we forget about as we get caught up in our busy lives.

We had a tire shred to pieces last month on our way to the Ky Horse Park. Will check out the trailer aid - someone told us about it but didn't know where to get it.

I have a couple more:

Double-check your spare tire, as well, that it is at the proper pressure and condition.

Doesn't hurt to grease the bearings on your wheels every so often, either.

And do a quick check of your lights before you leave on your trip (preferably in advance) and be sure they are working properly and all the lights work (esp. brake and turn signals).

Liz M.

(Oh, don't forget to make sure the registration is all up to date!)

Another thing I would add- as someone who's trailer is not used all winter, or hardly, move it regularly so the wheels are "rotated" and the same bit of tyre is not on the ground all the time.

If it is feasible, take the wheels off for the winter and store them somewhere dry, on their side and just a little below pressure.

And...Make sure your spare id GOOD!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks, Becky!

Harvey and I are still new to towing just our little mini trailer and are nervous about how to tow the new gooseneck.

I appreciate your advice and will get those items you recommend!

great post Becky!

Another idea for a post would be tips on pulling a trailer, backing, hills, any thing to hep newbies pull a trailer safely. I am relatively new at pulling a trailer so I am no help yet.

Robin

great post Becky!

Another idea for a post would be tips on pulling a trailer, backing, hills, any thing to hep newbies pull a trailer safely. I am relatively new at pulling a trailer so I am no help yet.

Robin
I hope someone will start this kind of thread! I would read it start to finish, that's for sure!

I've been pulling trailers since I was in high school. Hmmm.... don't want to say how long that has been!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Anyway, the best advice I can give someone on trailer towing is PRACTICE! Practice at home unloaded, not when you are ready to go to a show with a load of horses! Practice hooking up. For those that are pulling a gooseneck, it was suggested to me to purchase a wide angle lens that goes on the back window of your towing vehicle to help 'see' the ball in the bed of your truck when you are hooking up. You can purchase these at an RV store. Make sure your trailer is fully attached to the towing vehicle with your coupler closed and locked, your safety chains attached and your lights plugged in and working. It's always a good idea to check your lights before leaving on a trip.

Practice backing. Make sure your towing vehicle has big, wide angle mirrors on it. They are so much help backing and driving. Back at home til you are comfortable and capable, then take your vehicle and trailer empty on some test drives. Take it to a shopping center with a big parking lot and practice backing into the yellow marked parking spaces. You want to be adept enough at backing that you can back your way out of most areas. Of course, you need to be aware of what you are pulling and always try to park in an area that you can get out of easily!

Going down the highway, you want to be aware of what is around you. Never make fast stops, starts or swerve into other lanes except in an emergency! Nothing makes a horse hate riding in a trailer more than being slammed around in the trailer starting, stopping and turning!! Think about what it would be like if you were riding in the trailer standing up. It's hard enough keeping your balance without being thrown around!

You also want to make sure your towing vehicle isn't underpowered for the trailer you are towing. There's nothing worse than trying to pull a trailer up and down hills and the towing vehicle is struggling to pull it! That uses more gas and wastes more gas than a vehicle equipped with a larger engine.

Check the Lights and the BRAKES on the trailer - do you have a break away brake? Make sure that is it in working condition.

Make sure you have a tire iron that works on the lug nuts of your trailer -- some trailer wheel lug nuts are DIFFERENT sizes from the ones on the tow vehicle.

Make sure the BALL is the RIGHT SIZE for the trailer hitch and in excellent condition. A ball that has too much wear is too small for the hitch -- and in a freak accident, the trailer could come off the ball.

Make sure your trailer hitch is locked down on the ball - some couplers can be deceiving -- you can't really tell if the hitch is totally engaged on the trailer ball.

If you have a hitch that comes out of your receiver (under the tow vehicle) - make sure you have it securely hooked -- there is a pin that goes through the two to attache the hitch -- and if you leave out the cotter pin - or if you have a lock for your pin and it is not really locked/attached - you could lose the pin and thus the hitch and thus the trailer (yes it nearly happened to me).

When travelling -- At every stop (gasoline, food etc..) - walk around both vehicles and check the air pressure of any tire that may look a little "low" - you can buy (from Walmart or some such) a portable tire inflator -- that you can charge in the house and/or use off of a cigarette lighter -- to re-inflate your tires.

Check not only the tires, but also make sure the chains are not dragging (can cause sparks that could explode your gasoline tank). And of course check on your horses to make sure somebody has not done something silly in there.

Annually have your trailer inspected -- brakes, greese ball bearings, lights, floor etc.. by a professional or a very knowledgeable amateur

CLEAN OUT YOUR TRAILER between trips -- especially if you have wooden floors -- manure, urine soaked bedding and moldy hay/feed/bedding will ruin the floor very quickly. A clean trailer will last much much longer - even if you have mats installed - clean it out. Clean out food troughs as well if you have them in the trailer.

Before you haul - make sure your stalls and trailer ties -- all the things inside the trailer that help confine your horse - are in good working condition -- that you can undo them easily if in an emergency you have to get the horses out quickly.

ALSO CHECK to make sure your horse cannot get out of the trailer or FALL OUT OF THE TRAILER - or JUMP OUT OF THE TRAILER.

My trailer emergency kit includes (for tow vehicle and trailer - not the horse/people related stuff) ---

1) Several glow in the dark triangles for safety when broken down on the side of the road

2) flares for the same reason

3) jumper cables for the tow vehicle

4) black grease for whatever might need it

5) WD40 - same reason

6) lock for hitch/receiver and lock for trailer hitch and keys or combinations for both

7) Jacks (hydraulic for tow vehichle and trailer) and (when I have a 2 axel trailer) a Trailer Aid

8) chocks (4 of them 2 for each vehicle)

9) spare trailer ties

10) a few bungees (you never know)

11) Duck Tape

12) Bolt Cutters the big bolt cutters that can cut through any size chain link I might have on tow vehicle or trailer -- and pruning shears too - good enough and sharp enough to cut leather or nylon easily

13) Spare links for the trailer chains - those quik links

14) Tire Iron (actually a wrench that works like a lever) for the trailer tires

15) Spare tow vehicle tire and a Spare trailer tire - properly inflated.

16) 2 Working Flashlights and spare batteries

17) Cell Phone

18) MAPS

I don't have the kit in front of me -- there are other things too - I just can't think of at this time.

So much to consider.

What do you carry on trips for emergencies??

JJay

I'm still new to hauling horses but I always have spare halters / leads with me incase any of the ones in use break.

There was also a good article in Horse Illustrated this month. Most mini owners won't be affected, but thought I'd mention it so you can share with other horsey friends. When pulling a trailer whose wheel are a significant distance from the front of the trailer and especially with those older LOOOOONG goosenecks, be very careful when crossing railroad tracks. If the track has a grade (uphill) your trailer can actually become lodged on the track and you are stuck!!!! The wheels of the truck and trailer can be far enough apart and the trailer low enough to actually cause you to drag. The article said the first thing to do is call 911 and tell them your location so they can stop the train and then if you have enough help, unloading the horses might lift the trailer enough until you are across the track. It was scary to read and to think about because I had never given it a thought before. All the other ideas are excellent suggestions too.

Also, with his heat, it would be a very good idea to travel with buckets for water and electrolytes just in case you'd break down.

This might be a little off the subject but with all the trailer theft last year thought this might be an idea for some.

A few years ago there were a number of motorhome thefts. One of the dealership (can't remember where)

painted numbers on the roof. It may have been a phone number. Anyway one of there units was stolen. Call to police and they had helicopter looking. Found it on interstate heading for Canada. The driver was quite surprised when told how he was caught.

JJay, those are excellent suggestions and tips! And I can't agree with you more on checking the flooring in your trailer at least once a year and cleaning those trailers out! I can't tell you how many times I have seen trailers with rotted floors and people are hauling horses in them. :no: If you've ever heard/seen horses falling through the floor going down the highway, you'd never put a horse in a trailer like that.

Coopermini - What a great idea! :aktion033: :aktion033: I'm betting most thieves aren't looking on the roof of a trailer before stealing it! A phone number or some other type of identification painted on top would make it easy to identify if stolen.
default_smile.png

Check the date on your tires - they should have a production date stamped on the side, and I think the rule of thumb is after 6 years you are at increased risk for tread separation and blowouts. There have been a number of car accidents from this and it's been publicized for cars, but the tire repair place reminded me recently that it's about time to have my trailer tires replaced even though they have plenty of tread left on them.

I love the idea of putting a phone number on top of the trailer, clever.

Jan

Hi!

Well...... This is a GREAT and much needed topic to discuss! Theses are some AWSOME tips! I NEVER thought about the tires, sitting out in the sun.... I've been pulling trailers also since in high school....... ugh! So it's on my MUST get list!!

Also!

I think anyone who's hauling a good distance, out of state...........THIS is, in my book, a MUST to have and I will have this membership before I go down to Nationals!

But last summer when I hauled down to Fulton, MO with my big horse to a adult dressage camp..... which was such a GREAT experience.....But anyways..... on my way home, just right outside of Columbia on that EXTREMLY beasy 4 lane interstate..... I blew a trailer tire.... and of course it was on the side next to the trafic...... Not much for being able to way out of the way...... It was SOOOOO hot and I was exhausted from the 4 days of riding twice a day with instructors...... that I didn't know what to do.. I tried changing the tire, with out trying NOT to get run over!!! But I needed some help! Could NOT get the lug nuts to move!

Finally this older women stopped (guardian angle!!).... she was in her 60's, raised arabians and trail rode (competively)all over the us. Anyways....... She has the US Rider card.... It's allot like a vehicle insurance deal........ But is just for HORSES and vehicles.......

She called them and told them that I was with her and it sent out a tow truck and had someone fix my tire... But they are also for handling horses and finding a place for horses incase a major break down.... There's much more to it than that...... And it's actually not that expensieve to have! I would really suggest to at least check it out! And they have EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! tips for "what to have" in your trailer (as for emergency kits) for horses and your vehicle!!! You can view that site at: US Rider

Latest posts

Back