Trailer Question...planning on showing more this year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSMFarm

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't post alot but I do read the forum daily. Got a question....I have a trailer now that I got a great deal on...was custom built for alpacas and works great for the minis but I am hoping to show four or five horses this year including a larger stallion. So my question is...for you folks who show and have a trailer with living quarters...what do you like that you couldn't do without, what is not really necessary, and is there a manufacturer that you are someone you know likes? Understand that I am not wanting to spend a fortune. I am not looking for a luxury type...some of the prices blow my mind. I have even seen a few that have had the "dressing room" converted into a small little living space and that may be the way that I go??? Has anyone done this and it worked out or it was a disaster? This will be my third trailer in four years and I am wanting this one to be the "one" that will last for many years. I am thinking that a 3 or four full size horse trailer will accomodate five/six minis or am I wrong? I am hoping to find a straight load as I think my minis will walk right under the gates in a slant load. lol Sorry for all the questions but if anyone has input I would love to hear from ya!

I have a 3 horse slant load that will be converted for minis this winter. It has modified living quarters, which translates to a large dressing room with a bed in the gooseneck, a build in closet, sink and cabinets and a paneled walls. Its very simple and doesn't have a bathroom but every place we show usually have very nice shower facilities and restrooms. Plus we can usually park close enough to the barns that its not that bad. You can also use a camper portapotty in the trailer for night. We have been sleeping in our trailer for 4 years and the cost verses hotel has really paid alot on our trailer. Just at World alone it cost $200 for the entire stay with my trailer, but well over $1000 for most hotels. And since all we do is sleep and shower at the hotel, its a huge waste of money. It also lets me take my dog with me and have a safe place for him to stay when he can't be with me. Our trailer has an ac/heater unit so it works any time of the year. Oh and prior to the 3 horse we just got, we did have a six horse set up the same way, just more horses of course. We could haul 12 easy.

I was once told when looking for big horse trailers to convert to look for one 7' 6" tall (inside) so, if you plan on taking carts, they can be set upright.

I would absolutely need ac/heat. You never know what sort of weather you'll run into (even or especially in Tulsa) and being sweaty hot or freezing all night does not make for happy showing. Also an insulated trailer is best for you to stay in and for the horses to ride. Insulation will keep if from getting as hot and cold as a plain "tin" box. Featherlite makes a real nice trailer but they are also pricey but tend to "hold their price".

Don't know what sort of trailer you are familiar with but I personally like the gooseneck ones for pulling.

Thanks minimom for the great info. That is my idea...saving on hotels!

I am definitely thinking gooseneck though I have never had one. Heard that they are much easier to pull and turn.

Minimom...is your trailer a just a "dressing room" type or is there extra large dressing rooms in some trailers etc?

Mine is just a dressing room, but with it being a gooseneck it does have more room. Samantha and I both sleep in there and there is room for what few things we leave in there. Storage is the main thing, our step up to the bed is also storage and the same with the area that the kitchen sink is in, more storage there too. Its just set up great for what we need. Also just for reference, don't use one mattress and don't use just a plain one, the cold goes through it to easy. What fits in our gooseneck is two single blow up mattresses. The reason for two instead of one is if one person moves, it doesn't disturb the other person. I get up earlier than Samantha but can get up without bothering her. We have had both, we both agree have two is much better.

As for number of horses, we plan on having ours set up for 5 horses with the front area being for supplies, feed, hay, whatever we need to take. That way we don't have to put so much in the dressing room to travel. We don't drive anymore so having room for a cart isn't an issue with us.

As for pulling, they are much easier, turning is fine if you just remember the trailer do not follow in the same line as the truck like a tagalong will. You have to make sure you give yourself plenty of room on turns for the back of the trailer. but they are easier to back too. I have both and do like the gooseneck much better.

We have not used it yet, but we just ordered a new trailer this past Fall and are getting the tack area fixed up so we can "camp out" in it. Not all the time, but to some of the shows when my mother is not along and if they have bathroom facilities for us to shower in. We are installing a vinyl covered mattress up in the gooseneck area, and putting a refrigerator and a microwave in it. It already has air. We can cook on a grill and have a small covered thing to put our chairs under. We will see how it works out.

trailer

Your trailers sound great. I have a extra tall, extra wide 2 horse bumper pull. I put all 4 in my trailer but I have to tie because I have a stud and 2 horses go in each side. They fit fine but with all 4 I can not put the cart inside the trailer. I instead have to put hay, carts and other stuff in the truck. Even though my cart is stored in the trailer standing upright for the winter. Could almost make a second level to hold 4 more.LOL Just kidding.

A living quarter trailer was a must have when I was showing. It is not only a place to sleep but it is a HOME when you are traveling around a lot. A comfortable place to get away from the show and chill for a while, nice bed, toilet, shower if I need it but usually showered in the fairgrounds. I have hauled that thing all around the Western US and it has been priceless.

One thing I could not do without is the awning. It is an outdoor living room and has been the gathering spot for many a horse show. We have had so many little social gatherings when showing is done for the day and friends get together and visit. We have pupu parties and put out appetizers and plug in the blender at the outlet on the outside of the trailer. We have also plugged in the tv and watched movies.

With the awning and forced air heater, I can go to those cold, rainy shows and stay dry getting the horses ready and zip in and warm up. Mine is a 3 horse slant and the first stall has a stallion divider that goes to the floor so don't worry about hauling stallions with other horses. I have hauled 12 horses in my trailer comfortably with dividers out. When I haven't needed the stallion stall, it makes a great storage compartment to haul a bunch of stuff. Baled shaving and feed when going across country.

My trailer is a step up and the horses just hop up into it without problems.

Living Quarter trailers are spendy but once you have one you wonder how you got along without it.

I have a 3 horse slant and was thinking of "straightening" up the slant wall. Anybody every done that? It would give me more room in the front for a weekender.

Latest posts

Back