Trailer accident!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank the Lord that both of you are OK. Everything else can be fixed or replaced.

First of all....THANK GOD you and Confetti are ok! That must have been terrifying!!

I showed your pictures to my husband and he read your post and he thinks the rearend of your truck may have locked up, which would explain the resulting tire conditions of the truck. I DO hope you will find the answer to what happened.
default_no.gif

Glad you are not hurt. Arn't those semi's always right there when you need a clear road? We had a spinning accident on ice and I too had just gotten my horse trailer. I hope your insurance covers it.

OMGosh thank the Lord you and Confetti are Ok. I am so sorry you lost your new trailer and you truck but they can be replaced. You were so brave and handled it very well. I can only hope if I am ever in the same situation I can do as well. God blessed you today.

I am very happy you and your mare are fine. Luckily no one else was hurt. The truck and trailer can be replaced.

The one thing I don't understand is the speed limit you were going. 70 mph towing anything is not safe. You should never tow anything over 55 mph, it is extremely dangerous. I was also concerned over the lack of tread on the tire you took a picture of.

Please, always check your tires, drive a safe speed.

Again, I am very happy you and your sweet mare are fine.

OMG is right! Thank goodness you are both okay, sore I'm sure but intact. You did a great job of holding it together! Pictures are worth a thousand words and wow, looking at those gives me chills.

The one thing I don't understand is the speed limit you were going. 70 mph towing anything is not safe. You should never tow anything over 55 mph, it is extremely dangerous
I don't know where you are from, but if you went 55 on the highway here with a trailer (or without) you would be a traffic hazard and likely be run over.
default_new_shocked.gif
Speed limits are 65 - 75 depending on the location, and traffic generally moves at that speed or faster. I tow at 65-70 on the highway if conditions are good.

Jan

Oh Lordy CheyAut, not you too!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
I know EXACTLY how you feel, having done the same thing on November 15th with my rig. Scary, scary, scary and not something you get over fast. I'm so glad you and Confetti made it out okay, especially with the trailer flipping that way.

I hate to say it but they totalled our truck for much less visible damage than yours has. The insurance company does NOT like to pay for those expensive back panels when they're crumpled.
default_unsure.png

I did learn more about trailer insurance after my accident. The deal, at least with my company, is that you can get an endorsement of your hauling vehicle which will give you liability coverage for anything you haul. Comprehensive is usually a separate policy and the only reason they paid for our repairs and towing this time was because they agreed that my mom had been given the impression 13 years ago when we bought the trailer and asked about insuring it that it was covered, period. They also had not told us about the endorsement which was now necessary so they chose to honor that too since it was their fault we didn't know we needed it and our agent knew we hauled with that rig. There is no question we will now have the endorsement and be paying for a separate comprehensive policy on the trailer to protect against future damage.

Meanwhile I'll admit I've been twitching and sick to my stomach every time I've had to drive next to concrete barriers since the accident (claustrophobia, anyone?) and I'm not looking forward to my first haul when we get the trailer back. It's going to be nerve-wracking to say the least!
default_new_shocked.gif

All I can say is sway bars are a MUST with little trailers like that and perhaps even with larger ones like mine. So is having the trailer brake controller on the steering wheel where you can reach it. I'm thankful you're both okay and hope we're the only two this year!

Leia

I am glad that you all are okay and being watch over!.. WHEW..

It is always scary when things happened.

God Bless!

That must have been so scary but I am glad that you and Confetti were able to walk away from that with only bruises and scratches. Your guardian angel must have been looking out for you. We had the trailer come off it's hitch once and that was scary enough but my hubby was driving and he didn't panic, I am sure I would have.

Yvonne

Thanks all.

To whomever posted the link (sorry forgot) thank I opened it and will read it.

Leia, I'm sorry you had an accident, too!!! You called my trailer little... Really? It's a 3 horse slant, large horse, with big tack room. I find nothing about it little, unless you compare it to those with huge dressing rooms or living quarters? (acutally I think my tack room might be considered a dressing room) lol
default_smile.png

If you go below 70mph on our freeway, which by the way is the only way to get ANYWHERE from where I Live, you will get run over. You WILL cause accidents (no one drives below 80mph) and you WILL be ticketed for driving too slow.

Jessi

Forgot to say, that tire HAD tread... but it all came off during the accident!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is sway bars are a MUST with little trailers like that and perhaps even with larger ones like mine.
I would have said that the bigger the trailer (talking bumper hitch trailers of course) the more important it is to have sway bars.

CheyAut said:
Leia, I'm sorry you had an accident, too!!! You called my trailer little... Really? It's a 3 horse slant, large horse, with big tack room. I find nothing about it little, unless you compare it to those with huge dressing rooms or living quarters? (acutally I think my tack room might be considered a dressing room) lol
default_smile.png

Jessi
I saw the front styling of the trailer and thought it was a two-horse straight load.
default_wacko.png
My bad! You're right, that's a BIG rig from the description. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Leia

OH MY, I am sorry to hear how your accident. You must have been scared to death and Confetti too. Thank God you are both OK. God was looking out for you both.

Latest posts

Back