Trailer accident!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
NOT a good day.

Today I was taking Confetti to the vet's for coggins/ health cert. She didn't want to get in the trailer, figured she's had it with the vet stuff ;) But maybe she knew something?

I was about 4 miles from home when there was a noise and the trailer started swaying. I was in the left lane of a 2 way freeway where the speedlimit is 75 and I was prob doing 70. There was a huge semi truck immediately next to me, and a big dirt median to my left, which dips down.

I was trying to keep the trailer under control and slow down (without slamming on breaks) and praying I dind't bump into the semi. When the control just was not coming I knew I had to keep it away from the semi, so just slightly towards the median I went and next thing I know all I see is dust and we're spinning. I was trying to stop the truck and praying it would not land on either side of the freeway, that it would stay in the median.

Soon as it stopped I ran out to the trailer. The door swings open to the side, and that side was down on the ground, with teh door open like a ramp. Confetti was in there standing, the lead rope broke so she wans't hanging thank God, and she was ok. A few people stopped to make sure we were ok, so I had the one lady help me get Confetti out and she held her whle I grabbed the spare lead I always keep in my truck.

Fire dept was just up the road on another call on teh freeway so they came over. I have a little bruise/knick on my shin but nothing else, Confetti bumped her eyelid or something it was bleeding but quickly stopped and she's ok other than very shook up.

Fire dept called police so I called Craig to tell him and he came down. I called friends to come get Confetti and take her home.

The truck was rigth side up but it was lifted off teh ground in the back because the trailer, on it's side, held up the back end due to the safety chains. We think a trailer tire blew and that was the cause? BUt the truck has tire issues: passanger front is flat, driver rear tread came off, and passanger rear the entire WHEEL broke off! LOTS of body damage, especially around teh bumper. LOTS of damage to the front of the trailer and the tack room door. I think the rest of the trailer is fine but hard to say. They were towed.

Now, I JUST bought this trailer two weeks ago, and hadn't yet remembered while they were open to insure it :crying: It was literally the perfect trailer for me. I had my other trailer up for sale and someone VERY serious coming to see it and most likely buy it tonight. I called and canceled since now I don't know what will happen and I might need to keep it! Not sure if the truck is totalled or not, either.

But I do thank God that Confetti and I are ok!

Here are photos from my phone and Craig's phone.

accident41-29-9.jpg

accident51-29-9.jpg

accident71-29-9.jpg

accident81-29-9.jpg

accident1-29-9.jpg

accident61-29-9.jpg

accident31-29-9.jpg

accident21-29-9.jpg

OMG... I'm glad you and Confetti are ok. What a nightmare.

I'm so sorry about the trailer.
default_sad.png
( but you guys are ok... that's

ALL that really matters. ((((hugs))))

~Sandy

default_new_shocked.gif
OMG, thank goodness you BOTH came out of this relatively unharmed! How scary!! You definately had your angel sitting on your shoulder!! Hope Confetti is feeling OK otherwse, after her foaling incident?

Oh no! I'm so sorry that this happened, but thankful that you and Confetti are ok.

(Had to come back and add something.... I think that someone might have mentioned your car insurance might cover the trailer?? Am I thinking correctly?). I'll go and see if I can find the post.......

Ok found it... this is a response from Nathan that I found on another post.....

"Unfortunately insurance for trailers is really, really confusing, and people don't understand it. Yes, your tow vehicle DOES cover insurance for the trailer, but only liability. Collision is a seperate policy, a cheap one!"

Sorry... I was hoping to find some good news for you.
default_sad.png

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you are very lucky that you and Confetti could both walk away from this one! This could have much worse, though your outfit does look to be in pretty bad shape, the truck especially. The main thing is no living beings were injured!

Oh no!!! I'm sorry about your trailer but really happy that you and Confetti are okay! I can't imagine how scared I would be to have been in your position but you did a good job! I'm very, very inexperienced so far with pulling either of our trailers. I'm so happy you and your girl are okay!

Thank god you guys are okay! I always stress when pulling a trailer, even if its just to the arena 5 miles down the road. I know i have heard that when the trailer starts swaying (thank god ive never had that happen to bad!) that you are supose to speed up? Last year when i took Devons mare to New York in the middle of a snow storm that was the scariest drive of my life pulling a trailer.

Anyway, thank god your all okay !

OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif
You are so BLESSED to have you BOTH walk out of that with just minor cuts and bruises. You must have had your Guardian Angel buffering the impact and roll.

I bet that you and Confetti are going to be stiff and sore tomorrow!

Girllllllllllllllll!!!!

Oh please my heart was up in my throat reading this. I am so sorry this happened to you. I think I am going to have to wrap you and Confetti in bubble wrap.

Sending big hugs.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear this. The photos are horrible and so glad you and Confetti were not injured. Poor little mare, wonder if she will get into a trailer again, but I guess come to think of it, she must have in order to get a ride home.

You take care, try a hot bath cause tomorrow you will most likely be sore, if not already. I know that had to be scarely.

Beth

I can't even imagine what was going through your mind when you went to open the trailer door!!! That is always my greatest fear when I pull our big trailer loaded w/ horses. But you did good because it could have been alot worse. Bless you and your girl.

Oh NO! SO SORRY to hear about your accident! It's a miracle that no one got hurt!!!!! So glad to hear everyone's ok. I had a trailer accident once back in Nov. of '95. I hit black ice on a bridge and I was hauling my old (big stout) rope horse..... needless to say the trailer stayed up right but the weight of the horse and we were spinning, and the spinning was like a centerfuge (miss spelled?).... but my horse busted out the back of the 2 horse slant and flew backwards down the highway about 20 ft and killed him instantly....... He landed on the poll of his head (right were the halter sat) and cracked it wide open..... Luckily he didn't suffer.....

It still bothers me to this day when the weather's not good and going over bridges with a trailer...... But I think anyone who hauls a horse LONG enough eventually will end up with a wreck of some sort.......sorry to say......

OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif
Jessi, how scary!!! As others have said, it's a miracle you both survived, much less aren't too hurt. Wow. So, so scary.

Latest posts

Back