Tracking down "Dun Factor" lineage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshasta88

Reaction score
I like to track down the lines where Dun Factor miniatures originated but like everyone knows, there are very few pictures and information on horses from early dates. I was hoping you guys can help me make some assumptions by posting pictures of your duns/grullas along with a pedigree or a link to their pedigree. There are many Buckeroo bred duns and dunskins and I would like to know where it came from. I would also like to find out where the other dun minis came from.

I have a red dun mare, Lakeviews Diamond Gal. She has the bold dorsal, which doesnt show up great in this pic, darker head and legs, and in the summer and shed out naturally does have faint shoulder bars. She was clipped in this pic so a little washed out. Link to her pedigree... http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lakeviews+diamond+gal

IMAG006.JPG

I love dun horses and we have quite a few here. Lots of ours do carry Buckeroo lines, but some others that we have do not. Dun, and "just" dorsal stripes, are some of my favorite color things
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We currently own four dun horses; a bay dun, smokey grullo and two dunskins
default_yes.gif

Our bay dun stallion, Grand Slam, a BTU son out of Boones Little Buckeroos Pretty Woman (by Buckeroo).

Grand%20Slamh.jpg

Our smokey grullo stallion, Hotrod, by Bebops Leader Of The Pack and out of Blue Stars Color Me Tru Regalo

hotrod2.jpg

Our silver dunskin mare, Sparkle, by Little Kings Robobuck (Buckeroo son) and out of Mini Worlds Sparklette)

newwwwfpiccccuttee055.jpg

Our 2012 dunskin filly, Keepsake, by Grand Slam (first stallion) and out of the above mare.

7.jpg

One foundation stallion with dun that i can think of is Iowas Little Kernel (a dunskin). His pedigree is listed as unlnown in the AMHR studbooks, but i think it is believed he is Stouts bred. Will have to try to find that. My FWF Little Wardance son had a dam who was also a dunskin.

Lol-went to look up her pedigree and i guess her dun came from Iowas Little Kernel
default_smile.png
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/willow+creeks+im+2+cool+2+dance

Also some dun in those old Komokos lines if you want to take a look there. Komokos Little Husseler was a red dun and i bet that's where a lot of the Buckeroo bred horses got theirs as a lot of the mares crossed on him had Komokos breeding.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/komokos+little+husseler

Another old dun line came from ARC Banner. He got his dun from his dam, ARC Bunnie Hop. She was an old mare my great grandparents pulled from someone's backyard and registered when the registries first began so most likely she was a small shetland. I don't have a picture of Banner, but i do have one of his daughter, ARC Rowena. She was the exact same color-silver red dun (no cream).

Rowena4.jpg

It looking good so far... I'm thinking of starting a page on my website with the different Dun Factor lineage so keep the info coming
default_smile.png

We have a grullo stallion with pronounced dorsal strip and primative markings, Dusty Lane Vegas Bet a Buck. His sire is Hilltops Little Vegas (a dunskin, I believe) and his grandsire is Iowas Little Kernel. His dam is Buck Ons Bad Girl (also a grulla). http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/dusty+lane+vegas+bet+a+buck

DustyLaneVegasBetaBuck-Stallion2.jpg

When bred to a smoky black mare, he gave us a grulla filly in 2011...

035-1.jpg

Does anyone know any more info on this stallion "b zs legacy" I can't assume any ferther on Blue Stars Hotrod Harley. B ZS Legacy is about as far as I can research before the trail goes cold but there are more horses that look like they could be dun on his pedigree.

Here is one of the old timers, Valley View Jet Stream, Red Dun. He is 30 years old this year, and has produced many duns over the years. This picture was taken 3 or 4 years ago... but I will be taking new pictures of him next week.

jetd.jpg

Interesting note for people following this. Dusty Lane Vegas Bit A Buck can be traced back to two different Dun lineages! None of which come from the Buckeroo part of his pedigree.

Interesting note for people following this. Dusty Lane Vegas Bit A Buck can be traced back to two different Dun lineages! None of which come from the Buckeroo part of his pedigree.
Another interesting thing.... Bet A Bucks sire, Hill Tops Little Vegas and my Jet Stream are half brothers, Same dam. Jet is one year younger then Vegas. We bought Jet from Hill top farm in SD when he was 2 months old.

(oh, I also owned Bet a Buck for awhile, I bought him from Jean, but I ended up selling him, and never bred him to any of our mares)

Jets sire was a little sorrel stallion, his name was Tiny Ted, and I remember his dam having a dorsal stripe,... I took a picture the day we brought Jet home of him, his sire and and dam, and another half sister of Jets that we bought that same day. I have to look that picture up

Back