Trachea issues??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champ

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had issues with the throat closing on there mini and to the point where they had to have a tracheodemy done?

Yes I have.. we had strangles here some mutant form that the vet brought in on a routine visit :eek:

Some of my horses had had it already but they all got it again to varying degrees this filly was still on her dam and never showed an absess simply cause it was "inside" she was the first one sick and we didnt know what we were dealing with at the time they did cultures but before we got them back others had gotten sick as well (with the exception of her dam who never got sick)

It was very scary she was at first just depressed and within a couple of hours had labored breathing and was in the hospital. She was however fine after her tracheotomy (she had to have it reopened once ) and now is a normal happy healthy mare

My horse Cody (who I lost earlier this year) had a cough that would not go away. We ended up scoping him and found that he had a weakened trachea which my vet believed was most likely there from birth. The plan was to see how things went and, if need be, insert a stint at a later time to help keep his trachea open. I lost him to something not related to his trachea.

Liz R.

I am dealing with this issue now on a older mare.We are treating with Tri_Hist granules in her food and were giving her a syrup much like human cough syrup 2 times daily.We did syrup for 2 months and are now down to just granules.She is much better.Trachea is not shape it should be.You can have your vet contact mine Dr.Brittany Hazzard 302-629-2782 if you wish.Really nice vet and loves Minis.Good luck.

Yes, my neighbors have an old horse that has this and had to have surgery on it or they would lose him entirely. He did not show that he had the problem until teen years. The surgery cannot fix it, but can help with prolonging life in serious cases.

There IS a spiral deformity of the trachea, which particularly affects Minis and ponies. The coughing is a result of problems in that area, the damage does not come from the coughing. It is sometimes called 'Scabbard Trachea' I believe and is a congenital problem. With a scope, they can see the flattened area in there. It is a malformation they are born with- and the breathing problems get worse with age, excercise, etc.... It is not pretty to watch when they are in distress.

We have a mare that the vet said has collapsing trachea, so far she's doing well and we just don't stress her or force exercise. She's on 40 acres of hills so gets plenty, but no exercise program here. We almost lost her to hyperlipemia 2 yrs ago, that was when they diagnosed the trachea, he didn't feel with her other health matters she was a good candidate for surgery at that time. Since then she has blended in to the herd and isn't stressed like she was when she first arrived and foaled 2 months later.

thank you everyone for your replies, it's actually a friends mini and she wanted me to ask for her..she's having computer issues at this time....I'm going to read her all of your replies....again Thank you!

Latest posts

Back