total knee replacements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the good wishes......two more days to go and then the 2nd one will be done..........the first is fine with the excercises but as soon asI sit for any length of time it gets stiff.......so got to keep moving.......

Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.......

So glad to hear that you are recovering steadily from the first op. Good luck with the second one - I will be saying prayers for you.
default_yes.gif

I'm getting a dose of courage from hearing your results.Going to go back to my new doc to see if I'm a candidate to get both done at the same time or like you within a few weeks.I've been under the knife so many times I just want to get it done and get on with my life

new update.....had 2nd one done on 12/28 and it has come salong nicely. I did not have to stay any longer is hospital than that Sat, although I did the excercises as required to be released with hubby wiping my tears, but i made it. I have had more pain with the 2nd one than the first but I also had the rt. leg not at 100%. so with the 2nd one being done i lost almost a week of PT on the rt. as we had concentrated on the 2nd one. It was two weeks ago today and we are working on range of motion and strength excercises on both legs. have not been to barn much and that really is tough. But after a few bads days i can see improvement now.

while you can ask everyone about knee replacements and we all have an opinion it seems like everyone is different. My dr. would not do both at once and I don't know if i would do them as close togetherer as 3 weeks like I did because of the insurance issue.......maybe 3-4 months apart might be good.....

if anyone has any questions i will be more than glad to try and help.....

Oh Bless your heart, so glad this is all over for you, and no I would never have both done at the same time, although the way you had it done is better then both at the same time, I couldn't stand being in a chair.

My significant other had both knees done at the same time(age 65) since surgeon&I knew he would be a terrible patient(he was)He made out fine and was walking without even a cane in 2 weeks.He had a lot of upper body strength so that helped lots.Within the same year he had hip replacement.He is doing better than I am.My right knee was replaced in 2008 and has to be re done in September(different Doc)He won't do a reconstruction and the other knee at the same time.I'm not looking forward to it again.Mostly being out of the barn for so long really stinks.I worry about my babies with their health issues.I do have a very good friend who will take any colic cases to her farm and care for them like I would.Nice to have horsey friends.Glad you are making out well with your new parts.I need to get to the gym to work on some muscle building before the surgery(especially shoulders and arms)

My significant other had both knees done at the same time(age 65) since surgeon&I knew he would be a terrible patient(he was)He made out fine and was walking without even a cane in 2 weeks.He had a lot of upper body strength so that helped lots.Within the same year he had hip replacement.He is doing better than I am.My right knee was replaced in 2008 and has to be re done in September(different Doc)He won't do a reconstruction and the other knee at the same time.I'm not looking forward to it again.Mostly being out of the barn for so long really stinks.I worry about my babies with their health issues.I do have a very good friend who will take any colic cases to her farm and care for them like I would.Nice to have horsey friends.Glad you are making out well with your new parts.I need to get to the gym to work on some muscle building before the surgery(especially shoulders and arms)
Oh Bev, I hope all goes well for you. I remember when Toni had both done at the same time she had to use a chair for a while. Keep us updated please.

bevann.....yes it is tough, i had been doing alot of weight work for my arms adn shoulders before the surgery and can really tell it has helped with just toting the walker around. I am getting good range of motion and going back ofr first eval in two weeks, will probably go to outpatient pt since i did have both knees done......i can get outside now and am doing more in house just not getting out to see my girls.

at this point i can see some light at the end of the tunnel ...just a glimmer but have to stay positve....i think getting them done about 4-6 weeks apart would be good as he first one is pretty stable by the time you get the 2nd one done......any questions or opinions just ask.

I've been reading with interest on everyones surgery experience as I will be a future replacement candidate myself! I am not quite there yet as my Dr. wants to try the injections on me first. I suppose it will just be an attempt to prolong the inevitable but hopefully will help in some relief as my right knee has gotten to the point now where it's swollen and causing me trouble all the time now. I had a lateral release where the ligaments were cut ... (my kneecaps don't ride in the groove) done a few years ago on my left knee which I think has extended the life a little bit.

My question would be to any of you ..... have you tried the SYNVISC injections? I am curious to see what or how those worked out.

I've been reading with interest on everyones surgery experience as I will be a future replacement candidate myself! I am not quite there yet as my Dr. wants to try the injections on me first. I suppose it will just be an attempt to prolong the inevitable but hopefully will help in some relief as my right knee has gotten to the point now where it's swollen and causing me trouble all the time now. I had a lateral release where the ligaments were cut ... (my kneecaps don't ride in the groove) done a few years ago on my left knee which I think has extended the life a little bit.

My question would be to any of you ..... have you tried the SYNVISC injections? I am curious to see what or how those worked out.
Yes I had a course of three, and in my opinion it was just to give away money! it only put off what needed to be done in the first place, a knee replacment. They weren't that painful, but didn't help much at all, just a plecebo. Of course I can't speak for everyone, maybe others have had better results.

Who is the oldest person that had a knee replacement that you know? And how old were they.

Haven't been on for a few days......

sfmini.....all good hints......you have to keep moving, make sure you have something on your walker to put/carry things in, pockets in loose, loose clothes......thought i would never get rid of sweats, elastic is my new best friend. I did not go to rehab but have done pt at home and have first eval next week at drs office.....still on walker at this point.

there were persons in the therapy group at hosp. from 50 on up, my neihgbor just had one done and she is75, she is saying no to the 2nd. st docs i saw does not like doing anyone until they are 60 and thinking that the thing will last til they die.

you really hae to keep after excercises. my biggest problem is not getting enough sleep....it seems i am tired all the time...have upped my vitamins and if the old body needs a name it gets one......

Latest posts

Back