TOP 10 BLOODLINES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh! I forgot Orion! We have an awesome broodmare heavily breed with Orion..she's consistently producing very refined foals with lots of appy characteristics.

[SIZE=14pt]Heres the rub, all the above WERE awesome horses IN THEIR TIME. What is winning today is quite different than before....even Lee Crutchfield told me that as much as he adored his Magic Man, he had to sell him and change his program to fit what is winning now. Thats why you have to look at the horse AND the pedigree. Just because a horse is heavy Blue Boy or Heavy Egyptian King and even look like them ( BTW Blue Boy was from Michigan lines) They would likely not go top ten anymore. Even Boogerman who I met in person at Gross Hill would likely be considered out dated in the ring today. If you are wanting to produce top show horses.... you should check out the winners or even the participants at the site where the national photos were listed ( they will only be up for a month) and see the STYLE that is out there. Tony also has some kick butt 28 and under stallions that are well proportioned, fine boned little guys if tiny is what you want . Some lines are more prepotent than others, some famous lines are known now to produce lits of monorchid and cryptorchid colts . Also remember that not all pedigrees are 100% acurate in fact many are not. Even with the DNA testing , if a horse hasnt been parent qualified it doesnt matter that he was DNA tested.[/SIZE]

Just some things to remember.

Lyn

I WANTED TO KNOW WHERE I COULD FOUND THE TOP 10 BLOODLINES.

Melissa your question can be answered in a number of ways -

The top 10 AMHA or AMHR Futurity winners (sired by)

The top 10 most prolific stallions/mares

The top 10 most popular - depends on AMHA, AMHR or ASPC/AMHR breeding

The top 10 best promoted!

If you go to historical data as to what names appear consistently in the winners circle,

just to name a few off the top of my head

Buckeroo - BTU, Echo, Locomotion, White Russian, Destiny, Zorro, etc.

Rowdy - The Lazy N's - Boogerman, Red Boy, Little Man & The NFC Rowdy boys/girls

Orion - LD Scout, Orion Classic, Legacy, Yashica, all the Brewers bred, Charles Legacy Royale

Blue Boy - the FWF Blue . . .

Egyptian King - NFC Egyptian . .

Bond Jocko - Bond Commodore, Dynamo - Rhotens Showbiz & Little Dandy, Martins Dealers Choice, NFC Dandys, Brewers Dynamos

Bond Showboy - Toy4U C, Snippet, Peppy Power

Boones Little Apache - Dippers Duffy - Sids Rebel, Sids Husker, Sids Red Cloud, Indian Snow,

Paul Bunyan - Top Banana - Samis horses, Hidden Meadows . . .

Komokos King Tut - Husseler - Little King Supreme, Husselers Star, Dark Destroyer,

Many of the above greats go back to long lines of great Shetlands too. It would be hard to name just the top 100 minis as we all have our favorites, plus there are 'regional' favorite lines too!

Melissa if you want to really learn bloodlines, get the AMHA & AMHR studbook and start researching.

Your best bet though is lots of education on what a good horse is conformationally, as you'll end up picking horses with a certain look again and again - surprisingly they'll often be from the same lines.

I have to put in a heavy plug for Blue Boy. My stallion and three of my mares are all double bred Blue Boy and they are winning at nationals here and now. One of the mares that Lee was showing is a Blue Boy mare that belongs to Liz at Clear Brook. Most of the Rolling Ridge horses I own are Blue Boy as they originally came from Flying W anyway. Rolling Ridge Rum Runner aka Fred is a four time national grand champion driving horse and Becky is a three time national grand champion driving horse. They have also won national titles in halter. Their conformation and type is consistent. However, as much as I like the pedigree I will still consider the horse before anything else. Linda B

I think it depends on the look you like and what your goals are, I get excited over some of the old Falabella lines, Flabys El Tigre, Chianti , the AF line, Melenek, Grosshills Comofin, Francisco of Kilverstone, Toyland Zodiac etc.

I love GMB and Blue Boy lines.

Believe it or not I do not realy like Buckeroo lines.

What I really want to point out it not what is top 10 to eveyone else it whats top 10 to you.

Everyone has in mind thier ideal miniature horse. Not everyone has the same taste.

But if you looking to bred show horses, take your time and really look at whats winning.. and in what clases. a top driving horse and a top halter horse are not the same type sometimes.

Decide if you want to raise halter horses or driving horses. Watch and see what bloodline is winning.You do not need to buy that bloodline ,but look for horse of that type.

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

I myself would look at the top ten leading sires list and their pedigrees if you are looking to view a prospects papers. Of course truely look at a horse. The rest should fit in after that. Here is the top 10 futurity sires in Nov. 05 from AMHA 

1. Flying W Farms Blue Boys Magic Man

2. Little Kings Black Velvet

3. Grosshill Boogermans Fine Line

4. Sierra Dawn Unos Monarch

5. La Vista Remarkable DWB

6. Lowerys NFCs Nashvilee

7. Bear Branch Wind River Feather

8. NFC Egyptian Kings Topsider

9. Martins Boozers After Dark

10. Alvadars Double Destiny

You notice NFC in there a few times, and Bond to name a few. I own a stallion sired by the #9 horse and has NFC in him as well. I just love those After Darks!!!

f3a5066f.jpg
Allison

In my opinion, the most OBJECTIVE list of the top 10 bloodlines is the top 10 futurity sire list. Allison has posted the list for 2005, but there is also an overall top 10 futurity sire list, which I think even shows better the bloodlines that CONSISTANTLY produce top horses. Apart from that, everyone has of course their own personal top 10. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lynn and Michelle with the exception of the Boogerman comment. In his prime in show shape, he would be competitive today. We showed against him when we first started showing and he looked exactly like a scaled down full sized horse, very refined and balanced.

We have a 100% Buckaroo free farm and would be 100% Little King free except for SF Mahogany Bay who is by Little Kings Super Supreme. I also do not like Egyptian King and Rowdy, they are more old style, heavier boned, and the Rowdy horses can be big. That said, my keeper stallion (but not planning to breed) is from both lines, but he is not at all EK looking. Yes he is heavier built, but I drive and need a horse built that way.

Don't get me wrong, LK breeds some very nice horses, but just not my cup of tea.

I love the Blue Boy horses, but take those pedigrees with a grain of salt as there is no real proof those horses are really what their papers say.

I still feel that you want to go with the individual first, pedigree can be a bonus. I have seen some horses with awsome pedigrees that should be backyard, never bred pets, and others with no name pedigrees that are just awsome.

As long as we are sharing our favorites here.

I really like the Orion , Bond Dynamo cross.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: If I remember correctly, at one time (it still may be) this cross produced more Natl Grand winners, Nat'l Champions, etc. etc.

I admit I'm biased.
default_yes.gif
:

Robin

I agree with Lynn, and Michelle and I have talked about this for hours. The big names in pedigrees are usually horses that were the rage 20 years ago and couldn't compete in todays halter classes. You have some standouts that were ahead of their day and have consistently produced horses that are competitive in todays market. Buckaroo would be at the top of that list for me. Many of the foundation lines are the heavy boned, quarter horse type looking horse. Most of the horses mentioned are halter type horses and wouldn't hold up if your interest lies in big time driving lines.

I have been into halter horses most of my life in one breed or another and have seen many changes in type and refinement. Taking a hard line with your herd management, put together the best broodmare band you can and upgrade those for better mares. In a perfect world, change your stallions at least every 5 years to upgrade the quality of the overall herd. Keep mares from your stallions that improve your broodmare band and infuse bloodlines and qualities from new stallions.

That said, it is not a perfect world and I love my old guys.

Top ten, as far as what goes; showing, breeding , Selling, or buying? All different. Do you want tiny, taller, heavy, thin, quarter type, arab type, thoroughbred type, etc.?

I know as far as my own experiences, most people who are buying are buying for all different reasons, and you need to first have the most structurally sound horse above all. I can sell certain colors, before anything else. Doesnt matter about the pedigrees. People dont like to admit that, but it is true, color sells.

Then the next most asked question for me, who has a LOT of horses, has been, "Do you have anything Buckeroo bred?"

I sell a lot of foals a year, and that is my most often asked question. I love Buckeroo, and King Supreme lines ( I think King SUpreme was ahead of his time) , and have owned two sons of Buckeroo , and one of King Supremes. I evene bought the last born son of Teenie Jeanie, so I could have a maternal brother to King Supreme. Several more grandsons to these wonderful horses, and have had wonderful success with them. I would defiantely place them as high as anyone could on a list.

M y all time favorite stallion, ( as far as reproduction goes) is L and D Scout, and I just bought a Bay tobiano son of his to add to the other stallions . I consistantly like all the L and D sons and daughters, I think they all are correct, refined, and very attractive animals.

And someone mentioned Magic Man, an awesome stallion, and I love his foals, and I do believe they have great successes in the show ring. I went to the farm site of his new owner, and I LOVE what he has been producing. I used to show against him in senior stallions with my Buck Echo son, and he whipped my horse consistantly.

For todays' kind of horse, you can't go wrong with the First Knight line.

If you want movement and high hock action, the foals that are being sired by Sierra Dawn Uno's Monarch are extraordinary. He's owned by Scott Creek. He is already among the top futurity sires..........and he has only been producing for four years, if memory serves. Watch for these horses in the future..........Monarch could be the Top futurity stallion. And he's only 30"!

HELLO,

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME OF THIS FINE BLOODLINES MINIS PICTURES AS WELL.

THANKS MELISSA

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

I agree it depends on your preference for size and suitability, but always look at the horse and as stated before, review the lineage of your top 10 sires!. Speaking of producing. I recently discovered My stallion Heartlands Miracle After Dark, sired by Martins Boozers After Dark, has only 8 registered foals on the ground and already produced a Res. AMHR Nat'l Yearling Stallion Champ. in 2004 :aktion033: . His pedigree goes as such, Boozers Sire, Nat'l Champ. Boozer himself, Res. Nat'l Champ. and Boozers son Ericas Smoke Rings In The Dark, Amhr Res. Nat'l Champ :bgrin . He also carries ,NFCs Dark Appollo and Cresents. I plan on breeding Boozer to a few select mares and hopefully he will keep up his 1 out of 8 Average for producing a Nat'l Champ. caliber foal! He will probally be getting ready to show again. If this guy can produce like he is showing he can he needs to get campaigned. Man those are some awesome odds :new_shocked: !!! Sorry about that but I felt that was worth some bragging rights :lol: Allison
edbd6269.jpg

Well my stallion has Stouts, Dell Teras and Vant Huttenenst breeding. Then I have a mare who has Bond breeding through Rhotens Little Dandy, and her sire is NFCS Candy Dandy, who is a AMHA National Champion and has Egyptian King breeding. Her dam has Chianti breeding. Then I have a mare who has Flying W farms breeding and has FWF Golden Boy in her pedigree. She also has Hobby Horse breeding. I also have another mare with Hobby Horse breeding. Then I have a filly with Fishers breeding and another with Bond breeding. I could go on and on but I think the following are well known lines in minis.

Hobby Horse

Flying W

Stouts

Bond

Dell Tera

Vant Huttenest

Egyptian King

Dandy

Fishers

This is just to name a few. As for minis it all depends on your personal taste, what you want. My stallion is exactly what I was looking for in a breeding stallion and his first foal arrived and is gorgeous and already sold. I wish to thank Cherokee Stables for breeding my favourite mini, my stallion, Coyote Winds Knockout and for breeding the lovely mini mare that is my husbands pride and joy, Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy who is in foal to my stallion for a March 2007 foal. This foal should be spectacular. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back