TOP 10 BLOODLINES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I WANTED TO KNOW WHERE I COULD FOUND THE TOP 10 BLOODLINES.

THANKS MELISSA

I dont know where you can find the actual top 10 but i would imagine they would include some of the following

Buckaroo

Rowdy

Dandy

Rhotens Little Dandy

Michigan

Bond

....all i can think of at the moment, sorry but i feel pretty sure those are atleast some of the top ones.

Some of the names that I feel proud to have behind some of my horses are:

Buckeroo (including Buckeroo, BTU, Buck Echo, Double Destiny...)

Rowdy (via Cross Countrys Rowdys Reflection)

Blue Boy

Egyptian King

Boones Little Andy

Yellow Diamond Little Feather

For whatever it may be worth, though, I have seen pictures of horses w/ these names close up behind them and I wouldn't have them in my herd. First, the horse has to be what I like, and then if they've got a "big" name behind them, so much the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get excited about breeder names with: Lucky Four, NFC, Sonoita Highlands, Komokos, Flying W, Rowdy, Bond, Dell Tera, Sligo, Chianti.

I'd try calling AMHA or AMHR for advice on breed standards and breeding.

I have watched your posts over the last few days and I am so glad you are asking questions. BUT keep in mind that pedigree is not everything. I do have my favorite bloodlines and its definately part of the equation. But its certainly not everything. I have seen a lot of horses not live up to their pedigree. Always look at the horse in front of you FIRST and whats behind that horse second.

I just read your post so ill edit. Please do not be in a rush!!! What do YOU like?? What do you want your horses to do?? Where do you want to be in 5 years?? Really think this over before you buy. Also until you know what good horse conformation is do not buy even one horse!!

Here are some of my favorites and what I breed

Rhotens Dandy

Winks

Bond

LTD

Wauk A Way

King Lee/buckeye creek/getitia

Buckeroo

seth Thomas

Gold Melody Boy

Last edited:
I have watched your posts over the last few days and I am so glad you are asking questions. BUT keep in mind that pedigree is not everything. I do have my favorite bloodlines and its definately part of the equation. But its certainly not everything. I have seen a lot of horses not live up to their pedigree. Always look at the horse in front of you FIRST and whats behind that horse second.

I just read your post so ill edit. Please do not be in a rush!!! What do YOU like?? What do you want your horses to do?? Where do you want to be in 5 years?? Really think this over before you buy. Also until you know what good horse conformation is do not buy even one horse!!

Rhotens Dandy

Winks

Bond

LTD

Wauk A Way

Buckeroo

seth Thomas

Gold Melody Boy

***I totally agree with this advice: I have seen a lot of horses not live up to their pedigree. Always look at the horse in front of you and whats behind that horse second.

Like KayKay said, take it slow! You cannot do this so quickly.

My favorite bloodline has to be Michigan. I have an AMHA/AMHR gelding who has such a cool personality, awesome movement, and gorgeous conformation and he has two Michigan horses in his lines. Three of his relatives are HOF.

You need to focus more on conformation and type more than pedigree.

Rhotens Dandy

Winks

Bond

LTD

Wauk A Way

Buckeroo

Please email pictures of different comformation of the minis

thanks melissa

seth Thomas

Gold Melody Boy

***I totally agree with this advice: I have seen a lot of horses not live up to their pedigree. Always look at the horse in front of you and whats behind that horse second.

Melissa here is my seth thomas stallion "crunch" he already has his hall of fame in halter but unfortunately i do not have any foals by him for sale yet
default_smile.png
He is ASPC/AMHR registered so he is a shetland/miniature cross

ashlandcrunch-347x253.jpg

I too agree that you should look at the HORSE...ignore the name...look at the HORSE and ask yourself if you like how they look.

Nowdays, no one is interested in a name, more than they are interested in a good looking horse.

If you want a good program, look for good horses that will reproduce good horses, and you'll have your own name to be proud of =)

Here is a stallion that I owned, he was from Mini-Go-Round's Miniatures and one of the most gorgeous B size stallions i've ever seen!

Chase1.jpg

And here is a filly I owned, she came from D&M Gemstone Miniatures (she is now in Belgium!)

DelightStand.jpg

Both of those names are ones that are not down in history like Buckaroo, Bond, Egyptian King, etc...but their farms consistently produce outstanding horses! They are making their own names =)

Ok here I go on a pet peeve topic again:

PLEASE don't put too much store in a farm name/prefix horse for starters. For example, using my own farm name (not that I'm a great example of a "bloodline" w/my small numbers): There is a HUGE difference between my mare Raftered Hearts Raven Star and one of my first born horses here that I did not even technically breed, but put my "farm name on" anyway, RH Icy Wind (a poorly conformed, but sweet colt I sold as a pet).

Still my farm name, but vastly different quality. So you can put "GREAT FARM NAME" prefix on any horse whether you bred it or not (or the farm could, heck you could, too, if it's not reserved) and it's not the same quality because even the best farms produced horses that were not intended for breeding nor the best example of their program.

You go for example into the "Bond" name and go from Bond Tiny Tim to Bond Showboy. Related? Yes...but HUGE range in quality and type. I don't think anyone today would, in their right mind buy a direct son of Tiny Tim to have as their brood stock, but Showboy..yep.

All in all it comes down to NOT getting sold on a pedigree. Unless it's proven, it's also not always worth the paper it's printed on.

First and foremost is to purchase the best quality horse you can afford and often times that is more than you think it would be, but your investment will be in time and research efforts. Find good breeders that stand behind what they sell, and don't expect them to sell their top quality breeding prospects for pennies because they are worth far more. I laugh (though politely!) when people want me to sell my colt that I want to sell/show as a gelding to them for the same or less than I want for him as a gelding. Why do people want to buy a breeding prospect for pennies compared to what a good quality gelding goes for?

Once you find a breeder/seller that would understand what you're looking for and work with you, you will find you can make better decisions on what YOU want. Go to shows and visit with the people who are winning top placings and find out the bloodlines/background of the horses you like. Compare them with others of the same or similar breeding. You will start to notice what makes a good horse a good horse and hopefully then be able to find it for your self.

Buying young stock as speculation for breeding can go wrong any number of ways and that can be infertility, health issues that show up as they mature (such as a bite going way off, a stifle issue, undescended testicle, etc. just a few of the more common ones). Get guarantees on height, bite, fertility, etc. and don't expect it to be cheap for these, but if you buy good stock, the breeder should be reasonably sure they will suit your purpose.

I can say that of the bloodlines I have read so far, there are poor examples I have seen of every one of their "bloodline" though many of them do have a common quality and type and watch for that, also when you shop try to get the breeder to share with you either in person visits w/sire and dam, or good photos of all (and bite, etc.). These are important factors for if you don't give them the attention they are due, you may end up with a terribly disheartening problem. I know many of us have been there and done that...so speaking from experience myself as far as not getting what you hoped in purchasing breeding stock.

The longer I go in raising minis, the more I appreciate what some of these people have put into researching a good breeding program and if you notice, the best ones are always changing a little, and modifying for the better, IMO.

Use your bloodline question to begin your research, but don't be scared off of the unknown horse, just be sure to do your homework as far as ancestors and paperwork.

Sorry if this is long, I just hope to head off problems I myself encountered as I stumbled along in the dark through my own attempts to refine my herd.

Liz M.

I guess the top stallions are different in everyone's opinions. But these stallions have had an impact on our breeding and we have horses carrying these lines:

Little Kings Buck The System

Gold Melody Boy

Blue Boy

Egyptian King

Komokos King Supreme

Rowdy

Little Kings Buck The System

Boogerman

I can't believe no one has mentioned Orion for one among the top 10.

I have to agree with others, buy based on the horse before you, not the pedigree. A great horse can have a little known pedigree and a so-so horse can have an awesome sounding pedigree.

Personally, I like Buckeroo, Rowdy, Iowa's Little Kernel, Gold Melody Boy, Reece Miniatures bred horse and a few others I've seen but don't recall the names (I'm terrible with names).

I guess here would be my picks.

Boogerman

Rowdy

Hussler Star

Buckeroo

Sids Rebel

L D Scout

Patton

Almost forgot Gold Melody Boy

My first post was what i think would be on the TOP 10 list in the miniature world today but since everyone else added there faverits i will just add my never-ending list!

Michigan (i have the Taylors in my backyard practically, 20minutes away :lol:)

Buckeye WCF

Dippers Duffy

Scott Creek

Little King

LTD

Royal (royal pony farm) *Royal Red Viking and Royal Kryptonite to be exact

Rhotens Little Dandy

Buck On Broadway

MTC -McCabe Training Center

Buckaroo Zodiac

Just a few
default_wink.png
:

Suprisingly, no one has said Arenosa! Arenosa is seen in many minis to this day and it has produced such correct and gorgeous horses.

Toyland Zodiac, Lollapaloosa, Carmen, Gold Melody Boy, Rowdy are my favorites
default_smile.png

Tammie

Well, since everyone else is adding there favorites , I might as well add mine :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: Almost all my horses carry the lines of Blue Boy, Gold Melody Boy, Egyptian King, Buckaroo, Orion, Rowdy. My stallions would be a grandson of Blue Boy, and a gr-grandson of GMB, both these stallions have had a great impact on my breeding program. A pedigree dont meaneverything, its the actual horse that counts, and a great horse can come out of a unknown pedigree. Corinne

Latest posts

Back