Tooth Extraction - Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
Has anyone here had a tooth extracted (not including wisdom teeth) and if so, did you replace it with a bridge, an implant or did you not replace it at all? I just had a molar extracted and am weighing the options.

Thank you!

Liz N.

Well I'm actually missing quite a few teeth....I only have 11 on top and 13 on the bottom....that would be missing 3 on top and 1 on the bottom (not counting wisdom teeth which where removed as a teenager)....on the bottom, one molar was removed to make room for my other teeth when I was an adolescent as I have a very small mouth (yes hard to believe...lol)...there is no gap at all on the bottom, the other teeth all moved to compensate. The top 3 I lost as an adult, all between 12 and 8 years ago. They are all in the back and you can't see the gaps unless I smile so hard my mouth hurts. I just never replaced them, frankly because my teeth are so bad I know that I will need false teeth eventually...all of my teeth except for 6 on top and 8 on bottom have fillings. I figure soon I will need a bridge and then years down the road total plates. I suppose it's just genetics....very soft small teeth and lack of flouride as I drank well water my whole life. I will say the only thing that bothers me is eating chips....the sharp edges poke my gums in between the teeth I have, but it doesn't stop me. If you have a gap and the rest of your teeth are in good shape, I would advise an implant if you can afford it. Dental schools can do them normally 60% less than a dentist.

I used to work for a dentist. You must fill the space. If you leave an open space the one above begins to grow down, the ones on either side list into the space. Eventually you start losing other teeth as a result of the one pulled like a domino effect. Bridge or implant. That is what I would do.

Well, I had a bridge put in a long time ago. It's never given me any trouble and I don't mind it but when one of my other teeth decided to give up in more modern times, I had an implant and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't leave a gap either because of the risk to your other teeth.

Hi Liz......I think it would depend on what molar. I am so "tooth" crazy.....bleaching, cleaning, etc. I think the first thing a person sees is your teeth. So if you smile and it shows I would definitely have it replaced. And like others say, it will effect your other teeth. I had a back......the furthest one back removed years ago and I didn't replace it and I don't even notice it's gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone - all good advice. I'm now trying to decide between a bridge or an implant; from what I'm reading if I have a bridge, they will need to drill the adjoining teeth into "pegs" so that they will support the bridge - can't say I like that idea! But an implant also sounds very invasive, since they are actually drilling into the bone. Not an easy decision, so I really appreciate hearing what you guys have experienced!

Liz N.

Edit to add: This is the 2nd to the back lower molar; it was cracked a the root. Carol - have you noticed whether or not your teeth have shifted?

I can say mine on top that I've lost within the last few years have not shifted any that is at all noticeable....the one I had removed as a child (I was only like 12) my teeth did shift, in a couple years the gap was filled.

My husband "makes teeth". His opinion is better to go with an implant.

. Carol - have you noticed whether or not your teeth have shifted?
Being the tooth that was furthest back.......and I mean YEARS ago......... I have not seen any shift at all. I have asked the dentist about it and there are no spaces anywhere and my front teeth are aligned properly. (and I am totally anal about teeth) So at this stage of the game I doubt my teeth will shift.

Thanks, everyone - this is very helpful!

Liz N.

I have had two bottom molars removed--one three years ago and one just over a year ago--both were second from the back--I did not have any replacement put in and do far have had no trouble--if the top teeth are growing down it is not noticeable and other teeth have not shifted. No way I will have implants--will get dentures or a partial plate when I have to.

When I had the first molar extracted the dentist told me how awful it would be--according to him by now I should have had all my other teeth shifting and getting loose...it hasn't happened.

farthest back teeth are least affected by shifting which is why we can lose our wisdom teeth and not see any difference however the matching tooth above or below will begin to shift into the space over time.. Also last teeth would have to go with implants because nothing to hook the partial plate too. Yes, with a partial or bridge, you do make the teeth on each side of it as holders for the "blank tooth" you are putting in. You pare down the tooth and create crowns for those teeth and between these crowns is the fake blank crown . As far as choosing partials, since the middle tooth is essentially a floater, you must keep it clean underneath and around or your breath will knock down a hog. When I worked for a dentist we didn't have the option of implants, however the technology is so advanced now, I would consider an implant over a bridge these days should I lose a middle chewing molar. I worked with a woman a few years ago that got several implants and it worked great and she was very satisfied.

My second bottom molar was removed about 6-7 yrs ago. I didn't have it replaced, because I thought at the time with my wisdom teeth coming in that it would fill the gap, hopeful thinking, never happened. Wisdom teeth are in and need removed per dentist but I beg to differ and be a difficult patient since they cause me no pain. I don't have any problems with my upper teeth on that side. Very occasionally chips or certain foods may hurt my gum but I have learned where to chew. In humor, it makes a nifty spot to hold my gum or mint. LOL

I had 5 teeth removed last year and none of them replaced. Two were top wisdom teeth, so no option to even have those replaced.

2 were premolars on the top right and the other was a premolar on the bottom left. The dentist gave me the talk of how it will show up in my smile ext, to which my reply was that I raise and show horses.....I just don't want the teeth to hurt anymore. But I did not have any of those replaced or implants put in and I am very happy without them. Honestly cannot tell or see them, and it does not bother me. But i've never cared a lot about looks. No teeth have shifted either.

Have never had this problem, but many times, your teeth DO shift, so I would weigh the options. I hear implants last forever, but are costly.

By the way, I dont think wisdom teeth are ever replaced? Most times there is no room for them anyhow, and I dont think they serve much purpose. They certainly didnt make me any smarter, lol

I've had molars yanked years ago and left the spaces and never had a problem. Doesn't bother me in the least. I am soooo done with root canals and crowns forever. too I did have to get a tooth pulled near the front that showed so I do have a filpper partial to fill that space. Its so uncomfortable that I only wear it when I'm going out in public.

I have several crowns due to broken teeth (apparently mine are very soft). My crowns are constantly falling off. Luckily I find them all and haven't swollowed one yet. Having said that, the very last thing I would want would be for the dentist to destroy two good teeth in order to make the bridge. An implant is the way to go. I think you will find it will be less trouble in the long run.

my mom had a couple of teeth removed and then for many years now has had a nightmare brewing in her mouth and it has been costly to say the least. She wishes she could go back in time. The partials are a pain sometimes too and she had one of the holding teeth break off at the gum line on one. My dad had to go with full dentures top and bottom due to trying to save money and having teeth pulled rather than fix them. I have many crowns in the back, not the flouride generation and we didn't have dental insurance when I was a kid and didn't have teeth sealed in those days to prevent decay. We have come a long way. I would go with root canals, implants, or anything over pulling a tooth and leaving a space and am glad I have dental insurance. My parents never did have insurance and I am sure that is what affected most of their decisions. best wishes. I do think the dental issue is a personal one and really nobody can really tell you what to do. Getting opinions and reading stories is a great way to help with personal decisions. I think weak teeth probably runs in my family, glad my kids have better choices than I did as a kid.

the very last thing I would want would be for the dentist to destroy two good teeth in order to make the bridge
That's kind of what I'm thinking! Great to hear everyone's experiences! I'm going to make a consultation visit with my dentist to discuss all of these options and to see whether or not the tooth has shifted at all.

Thanks again everyone - you're always a great place to gather information!

Liz N.

Latest posts

Back