Took a Test Drive today...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
This girl is 8. What do you think size wise? Does she look too little under my big butt? Thanks for your imput. Feel free to PM... I do see I need to put shoulders back when riding...it has been 15 years.

pally1.jpg

pally2.jpg

pally3.jpg

pally4.jpg

pally5.jpg

Posted with permission.

Doesn't look too bad. If you need a guide, I did find this on a google search :

Be Sure Your Horse Measures Up

The U.S. Calvary published “The Cavalry Manual of Horse Management”, by Frederick L. Devereux, Jr., in 1941. He recommended that the collective weight of rider and gear not exceed 20% of the total weight of the horse. These were horses in top condition whose riders’ very lives depended on the horse's ability to carry them long miles, often at speed. It stands to reason that if they were to incorporate a margin of error, it would be on the side of the horse being overly capable of carrying its rider, rather than less so.

Comparably, a study of 374 competitive trail riding horses compared horse/rider weight relationships. They concluded that these horses can easily carry over 30% of their body weight for 100 miles and not only compete, but compete well. As would be expected, good body condition and bone structure were found to be paramount. Bone structure was evaluated using the front leg cannon bones as representative of general structure.

Measurement Test

1. Add up the total weight of the horse, rider and tack. (See TGH Summer 1998, page 37.)

Our example: Damascus, Lady + tack = 1188 pounds.

2. Measure the circumference of the cannon bone midway between the knee and fetlock.

Our example: Damascus, 7.5 inches.

3. Divide this total weight by the circumference.

Our example: 1188 ÷ 7.5 = 158.4

3. Divide the result by two.

Our example: 158.4 ÷ 2 = 79.2

Values near 75 are great, below 75, even better. Values from 75/80 are acceptable. Values over 80 indicate weaker legs and a need to train carefully, especially downhill. Values over 85 suggest you need a horse with more substance.

Damascus rates near the end of the acceptable range, but should still be able to carry Lady in style, comfortably.

Source: Source

Staci --

That's a pretty horse and you look fine with her, however, I think you may feel better on a horse that takes up more of your leg. That doesn't even have to mean a taller horse (but that wouldn't hurt) so much as with more of a body (think of how narrowly built some taller horses are, to me... like riding a 2x4... so it's not just tall, it's how much of your leg that is taken up).

That mare also looks pretty short backed. How comfortable is she to you walk, trot, canter?

My riding horse now (having lost my bigger one last summer -- old age) probably is about to me as this mare is to you. I love him and enjoy him, but I think if he took up more of my leg, I'd be happier riding.

Good luck,

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not a western rider, english, but heres a shot. Put your shoulders back and square and lower your hands so there not so high. You tend to lean forward a tad much, but you seem very calm and lax riding, and that is allowing you to really sit in the saddle( good!)

You should be able to drop a string from your shoulders to your hips to your heels, it should be all in a straight line.

Really pretty horse btw!

Thanks you guys!

Yes Cara, she is beautiful.

Alex, I think all my riding info will come back to me, but fifteen years is a lifetime for some and I will have to re learn. The pictures reminded me how much I forgot.

Jill, she feels very rough in a trot. I figured it might be that she is so much shorter backed. I really like her temperment, she is 17 miles away and I think for what I want she might be ok.

Kootenay, That is an even more generous weight chart than I have seen before. I'm not sure of her weight. I haven't decided for sure, but this may be one pair of jeans if bought too small, I would have incentive to fit in!

I just want something to ride in the arena and spend time with. Having a hard time justifying another mouth to feed. It is a want and not really a useful need...I have seven minis...Will have to keep thinking!

Staci --

The short back on her reminds me of my riding horse, too. That's why I asked about how she felt. Rocket feels rough at a trot, but I post so it doesn't matter much.

With my guy, he may not be the most ideal physical match for me but mentally, he was JUST what I needed and is still an amazing horse. He takes care of me when I'm on him and he can do just about anything (english, western, drive, jump, barrels... in other words, way more than he needs to do with me!). He also loves me, like no other horse except Bacardi does. So, I understand, the mind of the horse is a huge part of the equation.

Good luck,

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll all come back soomer or later!
default_wink.png

PS- I think a horse a tad bigger and with overall more body and bone might do you good. A nice big QH!

Latest posts

Back