Too Cresty, Any Tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizmet

Reaction score
Anyone have some exercises to help with an overly cresty neck? I'd rather not use sweating, so just wondering if anyone has had luck without resorting to that.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Remission or quessience is good supplement for cresty necks. I use quiessence because it is pelleted. My boy was leaving the remission in the bottom of his tub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search "crest" or "cresty neck" on this site. There are a lot of good suggestions for exercises & supplements in previous posts. I recently asked the same question and was able to get a lot of good answers, and researching here helped to. If you get overwhelmed with the search results, try to google "miniature horse cresty neck" and it will bring you here too.
default_smile.png

I'm always a fan of SmartPaks because they have a guarantee on their products. Try it for 2 months and if you don't like it return it, no questions asked. I believe they do have a pack for metabolism support.

The issue with cresty necks is not just how they LOOK but the fact that they increase the risk of founder, and trust me, you do not want that to happen to any horse you own. Cresty necks usually indicate a metabolic problem, especially insulin resistance, so horses with cresty necks should almost always be on a low starch diet. Sweet feeds are especially bad (anything "sweet"), and grass should be avoided (dry lots or a grazing muzzle). Feeding the lowest starch (NSC or non-structural carbohydrates) hay that you can find, and also the lowest NSC grain - below 10 if you can find it. Remission (or Quiessence) or any Magnesium/chromium supplement should help reduce the risk of founder, but diet is the main thing. You can also soak the hay to remove sugars - not just wet it, but soak it and then throw the water out. If you feed beet pulp be sure to use only the kind without molasses or else rinse it well before feeding. Managing an insulin resistant horse is a challenge but it can be done. Neck sweats DO help, and strong massage can also help.

Latest posts

Back