Too Cold to Groom or Clean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
I am lucky if I spend 20 - 30 minutes out in the barn three times a day and we only have 7 minis, one deer, one alpaca/llama mix and 2 ducks, oh yeah and our barn cat.

I am finding this cold weather, is stopping me from grooming and cleaning the stalls the way they should be done.

Have you found this cold weather being a problem?

Any good tips in the cold weather to help ? :Cold-Scared

Layers and layers of clothes does it for me.

I have heavy insulated inserts in my boots so my feet stay warm.

As far as grooming goes I spend more time vacuuming which I can do with gloves on.

I am learning fast that cold is relative - when it got into the 20's yesterday I ground drove our stallion and cleaned everyone's feet.

Really cold like last week, I switched to using shavings in stalls (for those that don't know, frozen solid pee spots are NOT easy to remove) because the pelleted bedding gets too chunky. I also made more trips to the barn to check on them and of course, gave more hay. But basically, not much extra time training or grooming.

Speaking of grooming - I saw something Sunday (and even got a photo) of two of our minis licking the snow off the back of another one that was lying down. They had all been out in the storm and had snow on their backs and Princess and Ruby were licking it off of Mira's back, and Mira looked to be enjoying it. In all my years of horses, I had never seen anything like this!

Once Christmas is past, I have no more use for winter grrrrrrrr.

I'm frozen and flat tired of being frozen. You can only do what you can do.

I find I am spending more time cleaning stalls out now since my horses are spending more time inside the barn this winter than ever before and I"m going through bedding like water. Its getting old fast too but I have to clean stalls daily. I try to remove the piles as fast as they make them and that way its easier. Soon as the ice melts I kick them out to play so I can straighten up the stalls better.

As far as grooming, I try to clean them up and go over them all daily but I don't fuss about it when I'm freezing. I have most of their tails braided and up in kids size tube socks pinned with diaper pins and that helps a lot. I take them down about once a week to check and that right there is saving me lots of time. I mist the bodys with show sheen too when I brush them down and that is also helpful. But I leave the power grooming for the days that aren't so darn cold.

I am soooooo ready for spring.

I am not grooming anyone right now due to my health, the cold, and how busy I am right now with other things that are in their best interest; however, all of my horses, big and small, get checked/looked at closely at least twice a day, get fed well twice a day with hay checks throughout the day, and, no matter how bad I feel or how cold it gets, I NEVER put off the cleaning of stalls, EVER! If I were too sick to stand I would ask my mother to do it and, if she couldn't do it, I would ask my husband to do it (it hasn't come to that) and, if he couldn't do it, I would ask one of my neighbors to do it (for $, of course).

Layers of clothes helps but there have been several days when it was so cold everyone got feed water checked and not much more with the horses. Those several days even the dogs did not go out as much.

Here's my daily routine:

7am

In the barn.

Dogs are let out into their "paddock"

My 3 guys get hay and their grain

Barn cat's get food and ice chipped out of bucket and fresh, warm water.

Dogs feed is topped up

Dogs H2O bowls and horses' water buckets are dumped and filled with fresh, warm H2O

Dogs pens are cleaned out

Horses get turned out

Stalls are mucked

Matt has his coffee and breakfast an hour to an hour and a half later!

12pm

Make lunch for Kev, myself, and possibly the hired-man (Dan)

More hay thrown to the horses out in their paddock

Warm water poured into bowls and buckets (esp. if it's really really cold like it's been)

(pick out stalls if horses are in due to bad weather)

Dogs and daddy (me) go for a 30 min. walk

Matt has lunch

4ishpm

Horses come in

All feet are picked out

May get a quick once over with a brush

Horses are given hay and grain

All water bowls and buckets are topped with hot water

Dogs and Matt are out for another walk

Matt starts thinking about what to make for dins...

9 or 10pm

Water bowls and buckets are topped with hot water yet again

Horses get night hay

Stalls are picked again

Dogs go out to romp for a bit

Then it's, "Good Night Guys!" and Matt has a shower and goes to bed to read

In between all that, I have other "life" stuff that needs to get done. So I try to do a good all-over groom at least once a week; my horses are never really dirty. I only have 3 horses. But it's enough work with my 4 dogs and cats etc. I wouldn't want to have more than 4 horses with my set up (stalled at night and through rough weather) when it's only myself that really looks after the animals. Other than the chores, in this weather, I don't want to be out there any more than I have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll admit to not doing as much during the winter as i will be doing come March, but i do have two of my own that i am prepping now and are about two weeks into conditioning. Morning they get feed, water. Then the geldings go out for two hours...girls go out for two hours..then the colts go out for two hours. I clean stalls as each group goes outside. Then sometime before i feed if i have to do anything like hooves, manes or any grooming of any sort (like i MTG some 2x a week) i'll do that. Then go out about 4:30 and feed the mares, inside horses ext.

In the evening just before i feed i'll pull horses outside and do what i need with them, roundpen ext.

Its not the cold that bothers me, its the gates being frozen shut...manure frozen to the ground...the cold wind...wearing those bulky winter gloves makes it hard to do anything. Spring is so nice, shorts...tshirt...flip flops ahhhhh.

It kills me, between winter and my new job I spend about 30 minutes total a day with my animals. Today I was late for work, but becuase I just had to sit and cuddle everyone and give them apples.
default_no.gif

With this frigid weather we have been having, alot of my horses have been stalled, so it is taking me longer then normal in the barn. In the morning I clean all the stalls, I usually have 28 horses in stalls, so that takes awhile, bed them down, feed, and water. I make there beet pulp mash up, early in the morning and let it sit so at least that part is done when I am ready to head out. Our barn stays around 40 degrees, so that is bearable, its the darn freezing cold walk between the house and barn! Then I head out to the run in which is attached to our barn, and can be completely enclosed with the sliding doors, and OHHH YEAH, they have been kept closed except for a small door for them to get in and out, and at night that gets closed as well, the size is about 16 x 70, and I do keep my other 10 in there, so I have to go in there and clean that area up, and feed and water. It usually takes me 2 1/2 to 3 hours every morning, at night, I just go back, check on everyone..mine have hay 24/7 so I dont have to do that, no grain or beep pulp, and am done in about 1/2 hour, but it usually takes me a good 1 hour, since I have to "talk" and give treats. BTY~~ L.L. Beam makes the best insulated skiing underclothes out, keeps you nice and warm...nothing like the avg. store bought stuff.
default_laugh.png

We just got 3 new minis a few weeks ago,they weren't really used to being messed with so I'v been out more spending time with them.They have been my motivation this winter
default_laugh.png
. My mom has been feeding the big horses,I get the little one. Between us we have 6 big horses and 5 minis.Since I'v had my 2 yr old son feeding in the bad weather is more difficult.My daughter usully keeps him when it's bad out,she's 14,my husband works 2nd shift. I would like to be out more but with a little one it's just not possible in this freezing cold
default_no.gif

I am lucky enough that my husband and I share the horse duties. We spend about 2 hours total each day caring for 9 show horses. Soon it will be about 5 hours daily when we hit show prep season.

I do about 30 minutes morning and night, unless I have to refill buckets. I have all heated waterers, and all my horses are in runs, so I don't worry about picking any stalls right now. Too flipping cold! No grooming or working right now. I certainly don't want to get them sweated or heated up and then they have to stand in the cold.

So glad I am not the only one not doing much, hope this cold snaps comes to an end soon, talking about a little warming -2 tomorrow but more snow... cannot win....
default_wacko.png

Well, I was doing pretty well at cleaning the barn daily or every other day and spending some one on one time with the horses. But the last couple of weeks have been brutal here. With temps -25+ winchill you just can't be outside more than you have to. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour 2x a day to do basic chores when it is this cold. By that time either my feet, face or fingers are froze. So needless to say my barn is dirty and my horses have had some alone time. I also had the flu for a couple of days something terrible. It was all I could do to get chores done, let alone anything extra.

The last couple of days have been in the 20's here. Heat wave! I have been trying to get my barn clean and give the horses a little attention. I do not exercise at all during the winter. They are turned out to be horses after show season and don't start again till March 1st.

I too have small children, so my time outside is limited. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old. The oldest can watch for a little while, but not too long. The youngest can't go outside when it is that cold. Even if she does, she barely lasts long enough to do chores. I am with her, I hate the cold weather and any time I don't have to be out there, I won't.

Don't worry, the horses will be fine. Pretty soon the weather will warm and we will all be out there as much as possible. I think our horses actually enjoy the "time off". During training and show season they are right there ready and willing to have their halters put on and are eager to do what ever I might have in mind. But now, they tend to be a little more reserved. Kind of like this is my time, leave me alone. Of course I never turn one down if they come for scratches or loving.

I only have two and they too stay in the barn at night and on nasty days. As this is my first winter taking care of my own horses, everyday is a learning session. If they stay in all night and all day, it doesn't take long at all, and a little longer if they have been out.

Around 5:30 am I will give the grain and hay if they stay in and change the water so it's not frozen, but if they go out, they just get grain and head straigt for the pasture. Either way still takes about 30 minutes. When I get home around 6:00 pm, I bring them in out of the pasture, do a quick brush job and pick feet, but if they have been in the barn all day, I let them be. My stalls are large enough that after I put fresh hay, water, and more grain in, I can get the dump cart in there too and pick stalls while they eat. My evening chores will last from 30 minutes to an hour depending if they were in or out.

I don't really have a very good workout area yet as our land was just cleared, but I can play in the pasture on the weekends if it's not raining.

Insulated Coveralls are a girls best friend, paired with mud boots, and double socks and gloves, I am usually good to go.

This whole winter thing really does stink!! I was so excited to have my boys home so I can see them everyday, and now it has turned into a chore already since I don't have time to really play with or spend time enjoying them. After the evening is done, I still have cook supper, get a shower, and get to bed before ten. If we bring home takeout or something like that, that gives me an extra hour or so to "just be" with them and sit in their stall and enjoy the smells, sounds, the occasional rub, and tons of kisses.

There is so much static in their fur in the winter, I haven't brushed much. They dont' like it. I've tried misting conditioner on the brush or coat first and that helps a little, but when it's cold I don't like to put moisture on them. Does anyone else have that problem?

I have one mini.

He gets fed and stall cleaned out in the a.m., water buckets filled and hay filled.

Turned out into his yard/dry lot plenty of room to run around all day.

lunch

In the evening refill the buckets one is heated, replenish hay, lay bedding, clean up his outdoor space.

When the weather is tolerable he goes for a walk, and I horse play around with him a couple of times a week.

We live by a school so the daily coming and going of the kids provides him some interest.

My daughter goes out to see him in the mornings and after school when its not too cold

The then gets his treats and stalled up for the night at about 8 p.m. the paddock and stall have lights.

Grooming gets to wait for the nicer days.

So the time spent wiht is definately decreased due to the cold and darkness but he definately gets plenty of attention.

To get rid of static, wipe them down with a unused dryer sheet. Helps to get rid of the static electricty. I know my hair was staticy for almost 3 weeks cause of the cold temps and no moisture in the air.

Amanda

Back