My horses win the weirdest reaction to shots award

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Shots were yesterday. Rabies, 3-way and WN were in the same shot. Last year I separated them. Last year Tucker had a high fever five days after the shots. Vet said reaction to WN.

This year, I again gave them all Banamine in the morning. Gypsy needed floating so was sedated with a pain med, but she didn't pay attention to the getting sleepy part, so had another dose, which had the same effect. I was in the barn from 12:30-3:30 with horses/vet.

I checked them at 4:30, and went out again at 6:00 to get them in stalls. One side of Gypsy's head, from ear to cheek, and one spot on her neck, was wet, really wet. What the heck??!! Maybe grooming with another? But the ear?? No one else was wet. It looked as if she laid her head sideways in the water bucket. It smelled like water and was clear--so not pee or mud.

Later when I checked them at 9:00 she was shivering. Thank goodness I ordered beautiful winter blankets years ago--have never used them and thought about selling--so glad I have them. She seemed to know I was trying to help her and after a few laps around the stall she stood stock still for me to adjust it. Perfect fit. She stopped shivering within 20 minutes. Called vet--she said it's not a normal reaction to vaccines, but since she was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, eating, pooping, drinking and otherwide OK, to just watch her. And she's fine.

Is it possible her head was sweating?? I assumed sweat would appear on her chest or "armpits", not a head! But--since my horses won that award, I shouldn't be surprised at anything anymore.

Vet said if Tucker reacted before, he will most likely again, so I Banamined him again this morning, and might tomorrow too.

I hate shots.

My mini had the combo shot (separated them last year also) this year. A day later, about 24 hrs after the shots she started running an extremely high fever (104.6), was breathing rapidly and sweating in her entire face - dripping sweat including ears. After the banamine paste she was down, flat in her stall, took a couple of hours to get the fever down. It took her about 3 days to be back to normal. I will never again do the combo. May have been the combo or the brand, bit I'm going back to what she had last year - no reaction then.

My mini had the combo shot (separated them last year also) this year. A day later, about 24 hrs after the shots she started running an extremely high fever (104.6), was breathing rapidly and sweating in her entire face - dripping sweat including ears. After the banamine paste she was down, flat in her stall, took a couple of hours to get the fever down. It took her about 3 days to be back to normal. I will never again do the combo. May have been the combo or the brand, bit I'm going back to what she had last year - no reaction then.
Wow--I sure hope we don't hit any of that. I told the vet about the experience before and she thought we'd be fine with the combo. I had told the receptionist that I wanted them separate, but she had to take days off work so wasn't there to relay the message...so the vet didn't have enough to do it separately. I was hesitant... but she would have had to return to the clinic for more. Hope I don't regret this. They are all sore--moving slowly--but can get their heads down to eat.

Very inieresting to hear about the head sweating. It started within a hours with mine. I thought it was from the sedative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back