To those who have minis and full-sized horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a controversial topic here or not, so sorry!
default_unsure.png
I've had people tell me minis should never be turned out with a big horse because of what could potentially happen even if playing. On the other hand, even my vet puts his out together and says that they will be fine as long as there are no known trouble-makers (i.e. he leaves his stallions - big and little- separate and any known kickers or hyper horses. Just curious what opinions are on here.

Yep, that's a pretty hot topic.
default_wink.png
The problem is that things are fine...until they're not. It only takes one annoyed kick that would barely phase a big horse to kill a mini because they're at just the wrong height and it's liable to land on his or her little head instead of a more solid body part as the other horse intended.

It does work for some people and half the time the minis are the boss of the big horses, but I'd still worry. It's not an option here as my remaining big horse is territorial and bullies even full-sized buddies so they are separated but share a fenceline so they can play. Every few days I let them out together in a neutral grass paddock for some supervised "out time" but I wouldn't dare if this particular Arab was younger. (At 32 he's slower than the mini and Kody knows enough to scoot away if he sees Spyder coming.) However I did let him share a paddock during the day with the B-sized yearling we had here last spring because the baby really needed some equine manner lessons and Spyder, to our surprise, seemed pretty tolerant of him. He still managed to pin the unwary (but deserving) colt against a wall once or twice and nip him pretty good though and that's scary to see!
default_new_shocked.gif
A kick could have done a lot more damage and I would never knowingly risk that. (The Arab uses his teeth on other horses when loose but has never, ever, in 16 years of owning him offered to kick even under extreme provocation.)

If you can keep your minis separate from larger equines, I would. If not, be very very careful that their personalities are compatible and make the introductions quite slowly. Also make sure there's nowhere your mini could get trapped by the big horse and that there's plenty of room for everyone to get away so that there is less danger of an accident.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend puts her Standardbred mare out with her mini gelding. They have no problems. This mare doesn't like other large horses, shes fine with minis. Yes, she'll chase the mini around but won't physically hurt him and he does have a stall that he can get into that she can't.

I agree with hobbyhorse23, introduce them slowly and watch there personalities.

I guess your vet figures he can fix them up after an injury, unfortunately it can also be a fatal injury.

If you have no option, then I guess you would be willing to take a chance, but I would not do it.

They might be playing but a playful kick from a saddle horse in the wrong spot can be the end.

We have put our minis in the turnout lots with our big horses for years. But, we have had one accident over the years. In playing, my paint mare kicked my sons showmanship/hunter mini mare in the jaw and broke it in the winter months. We got the mini all healed up with minimal cost and was still ready to be shown at nationals later in the year.

I agree that it really depends on whether the big horse is tolerant of the minis. Our paint gelding absolutely hates minis and he broke out of his pasture once and ran right over the top of some of our broodmares. Needless to say we dont put them next to eachother anymore without an extremely solid fence. Our other horses dont mind them across the fence but we will never put them together.

We have both minis and full size horses. Sometimes I think that it would be fun to turn out the minis and let them "play" with the big horses...

Last night it was cold and the full size horses were feeling good at dinner time. They started running and bucking and kicking out. These are old (mid to late 20's) retired horses. And it would have taken one misdirected kick to injure/kill one of my minis.

So scenes like that - even though they are old and mellow and retired -- reminds me as to why I'm happy keeping my minis separated!

Liz R.

We have a very large, well muscled QH that we know would never hurt our minis, we know that they would all love eachother BUT we just don't chance putting them together. Because he loves everyone sooo much, he loves to play, and just one jump and spin in the air (which he likes to do) could possibly hurt on of our little ones, just by accident.

I would recommend against it. It sounds 'okay' until something terrible happens. I have heard a couple horror stories so now it's no way for me... my horses are only turned out with others their own size.

I'd hate to feel guilty thinking "I knew better but..."

Andrea

I was just curious... we keep ours separate, but I was just curious why those who separate them do and why those who dont, don't. We have our big horse in a separate pasture and it seems like he stands next to the fence with the two minis all day. It is sad because they seem like they want to be together, but I just don't think I could ever live with myself if something happened.
default_sad.png

dizze98765 said:
We have our big horse in a separate pasture and it seems like he stands next to the fence with the two minis all day. It is sad because they seem like they want to be together, but I just don't think I could ever live with myself if something happened.
default_sad.png
It's tough when one of them is the only one of his size! Of course they want to be social and there are ways to allow them to do that if you think your horses have the right temperment to get along. Hand-graze the horses near each other and see what they do. Let them touch noses and again, see what they do. What if there's food involved? A horse of another gender? What does your big horse do when he gets excited? Know your horses and be very cautious but perhaps you could build a lower section of fence where they could all reach over and touch each other if they can't already. For me, and only speaking for myself and my two horses here, I'm willing to take the risk for short periods and allow them out on grass together for an hour or two at a time. If someone's grouchy or aggressive, they go back in. If someone's in the mood for trouble, they go back in. If the ground is slick, the footing uncertain, or anything else seems off, they go back in. But that's because I know my boys and I know that Kody is a trouble-maker sometimes and Spyder is easily aggravated but slow enough from age that Kody's got a more-than-even chance of getting away without harm. The equation is different with every single horse or pair or group of horses and you have to know your own animals. The baby got out with the big horse by accident the first time and we found out that his youth gave him a "get out of jail free" card with Spyder so we left them out together despite the risks. He was used to being with other horses and was terribly lonely in a paddock by himself. For him, it was a worse mental health risk to leave him alone then to turn him out with the 14.3h gelding with several escape routes available. Heck, accidents are ALWAYS possible even when they're separated. Minis have been killed alone in their paddocks just from getting a leg caught in a gate or breaking their necks on the fence in a careless moment. So have big horses. It happens!

Very few people on this forum are going to publically recommend keeping them together because we've all heard the stories and it's just too risky, but the fact is sometimes there are special cases. Listen to your instincts!

Leia

My 2-year-old filly, Sydney, used to belong to a friend of mine. She kept Syd here until this past September, when she moved her to another farm with a dozen or so big horses. After three weeks, she sold Syd to me, and we moved her back here. Syd is a large B, and the horses were divided among three pastures, but Syd had had a pretty rough time of it. I was shocked at her condition. There were several marks on her backside that were clearly bites, and she was slightly lame from a large bruise on one of her back legs, possibly from a kick. She had dozens of scrapes on her face, legs, and chest, most likely from running into trees and fences while trying to escape. My friend told me that little miss Houdini kept getting into the wrong pasture, but I don't know that there was a right one, with that lot! It took more than a week before Syd would let my mini mule, her former best buddy, get within 6 feet of her. Syd's former sassy-but-sweet personality took at least another week to reappear.

We keep our QH and Tb geldings paddocked with our two "B" mini geldings and have for about 3-1/2 years now. Recently we sent one mini off to keep a rescue company for the winter, but then brought in a few weanlings and yearling colts for a friend. I find the mini's have BIG attitudes, and have no problems bossing around pretty much anybody in the herd.

The Tb gelding (at 16.1hh) is second from the top and likes to think he's the boss. Really, it's the 15.2 foundation QH gelding who just needs to flatten an ear or give a "hairy eyeball" look for instant obedience from his herd. I have never seen either of them EVER aim a kick at the mini's. We have more trouble with the mini's sneaking up on the big guys from behind and nipping them in the butt, and then running like stink! The "big" boys will give chase, but only for a stride or two.

We have one big horse and 6 mini-mares, 2 mini-donkeys, 1 coming 2 year old mini gelding & 1 weanling mini colt. Big Boy is in a large stall with the donks, they can alway go out into the paddock. During the day, into the pasture. Two of the mini-mares are IN LOVE with the Big Boy. The fence between the paddock is 3 board with mesh wire on it. Someone (donkeys, mares?) keeps chewing threw the boards, and recently has learned to push the mesh, so the two little love-sick girls go "visiting" the big horse. They kick each other (the girls) and scream, and are so jealous of who gets to stand next to him. He's very tolerant. If he could, I think he would roll his eyes. I think he realizes how silly they look! He's 15.3, and they are 30 and 36 inches. When it's food time, the mares go back to their paddock/stall. The donkeys and the big horse co-exist real well. The donkeys won't let him get close and kick at him if he tries, so he doesn't anymore. My husband has replaced these boards three times now, but right now it is too cold to do anything extra, and the fence is rolled so there are no sharp edges. My weanling (not weaned yet, my next project!) colt and the big horse have trotting contests up and down the fence (with the fence between). The colt is real interested in Big Boy, but I'm not ever going to put them together--he just seems way too tiny and rambuncious too! I don't know if you can see how what a nice gentle eye this big horse has, but he's a love. I still wouldn't purposely put him out with the herd.

I have my riding horse, who is 24 this year, and my two mini mares out together 24/7. The minis have their own side of the barn that they can get into to eat/sleep/do whatever. They've been together for almost 2 yrs and I've never had any trouble. My riding horse has lost most of her sight in her left eye but she's still the boss. My youngest little mare thinks she's in charge but she always gets put in her place and knows how far she can push her luck. I've often found my minis grazing almost nose to nose with my riding horse. They all play together but they know how far to stay away from flying hind feet.

In my opinion, as long as your minis have a place to get away from the big horse, I don't see a problem. But I do have to agree with the others that one wrong playful/threating kick from a big horse could seriously hurt or even kill a little one. If you plan on letting you minis out with a big horse I would only do it if you can watch them and see how they get along. Make sure that you horse's personalities and pecking order can all get along.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Becky M.

Mine run together. I have 3 big guys, 5 minis and 1 pony. In the summer they all run together. Right now I have 1 big horse, 3 minis and the pony running the big pasture. The dry lot holds the two older boys and 2 minis who think they can just go through any fence I have up. THe older boys dont bother the minis and the minis dont bother them. THe other big horse is protective of her pony but could take or leave the minis. THe big horse mare I would never confine to a smaller area with minis, shes a bit to bossy.

My big horse, Target, loves the minis and they love him, but they are still kept separate. What convinced me was one day recently when they were all playing on opposite sides of the round pen sections that separate them, and 22 year old Target starting rearing! The minis were all milling around and if the fence hadn't separated them, I could easily visualize him landing on one them accidently. Just not worth it to me. They can still socialize and enjoy each others' company.

You MIGHT be just fine letting minis run with big horses...

And you might be fine giving your mini Quest wormer...

You might be just fine with red maple trees or other toxic plants in their turnout...

You might be just fine if you never vaccinate them...

You might be just fine leaving sharp, rusty junk in your pasture...

You might be just fine suddenly switching them to a completely different diet...

But I doubt you would take these risks.

With all the dangers that might befall your horses, WHY IN THE WORLD would you NOT protect them from danger when you can?

most of you will remember pics i've posted of my two minis with my big paint gelding. i have no other choice than to keep them together. the mini boys have their own barn and they have a small corner fenced off if they feel the need to "get away" from tuffy. i realize it isn't the best possibly situation but, with no other choice, it's what i have. the mini boys run and play and buck and jump. the whole time this goes on, tuffy stays as far away as he can, usually with that "oh you kids" look on his face.

i really think it depends on the horse's personality.

I have a big horse and minis, but would never choose to turn them out together. It's an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

PS I like the way Susanne illustrates the point.

Latest posts

Back