To Clip or Not To Clip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Clip Or Not To Clip

• Total voters

End Level Farms

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I should clip my mare or not.

She has a head and neck clip from December.

Is just starting back to work after an injury.

She is shedding A LOT!. And I have always been told with the big horses don't clip once they start shedding.

We have no shows or anything planned at this time.

Just starting her back to work.

Unless you are going to work her into a sweat, I would not clip her yet. Or just do a trace clip.

Why put her through the clip unless she is showing? Just shed her out good and maybe clean up face, fetlocks and bridle path.

I would suggest that you get a Slick n' Easy grooming block and lay on the elbow grease like crazy. I voted no to clipping. If she's not going anyplace soon, then let her skin be as natural as possible.

The shedded coats always seem to be so much nicer than clipped ones, maybe except on a gray.

If she's working to the point of sweating and is hot and uncomfortable, trace clip her. If she were only going to be in the paddock then I'd leave her alone except for major elbow grease. By the time my guys start shedding enough hair to make a difference they've usually rubbed huge holes in their necks anyway so it's a mercy to clip them before they get so bad.

Leia

Normally I clip in spring. But this year I won't be able too. Clipper blades need to be sharpened. The weather is also cooler than years past, so it is not as needed, Thank goodness.

I use a Dog rake to groom the Icelandic's out and this year I am using it on the mini's too.

Something like this.. mine is short wide tines, rounded ends.

http://absolutelygolden.com/Products/Grooming/VistaUndercoatRake.htm

Latest posts

Back