to breed or not to breed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have been in deep consideration about breeding my mare. She is 12 and I have her last baby who will turn 3 in the spring. She is in great health and at a great weight, especially for the winter
default_smile.png
But here is my "obstacle"....... when she goes to strange places with strange people she gets really worked up and stops eating for about a day, then she is fine. I don't want to send her away, she does her worry spell and then I have extra vet bills. I HAVE had this checked out by a certified vet.

This is when I thought of a plan B. AI. But I cannot seem to find any farms that do AI. any suggestions?

Anyone else had problems like this?

Thank you everyone, it has always been a dream of mine to have one of my horses foal out on my property. I want to become a Vet specializing in equine reproduction and it all fascinates me ( and the fact that I bought her with her baby and WOW what an AMAZING experience! )

Thanks again!
default_smile.png
:)

I wouldn't send her away if you already know it's a problem. If you have the facilities lease a stallion for a season.

I think everyone who loves horses will want to help deliver their own sooner or later, I did, so I can't fault you for wanting to as well. There is nothing like helping to deliver that sweet foal! Since you want to specialize in Equine repro, it's natural you'd like to have this experience. AI is VERY expensive and not a route I'd take. If all else fails start shopping! there are many little foals waiting for a new home and I bet your lovely mare would eventually like the extra company.

IMHO unless this mare is super nice I wouldn't consider doing AI.

It sounds like you may need to find a stallion to buy or lease if you want to breed her, or like Debby said instead of spending money to get her bred spend money on getting something you want and can actually see. Right now I completely understand what you are going thru, right now I am possibly looking at completely spaying my 2X HOF driving mare before she has ever given me a foal in fear of tumors on her ovaries. Talk about getting a kick in the gut.

...SNIP...

...right now I am possibly looking at completely spaying my 2X HOF driving mare before she has ever given me a foal
Just curious. You can spay a mare? Is that like tying her tubes (like in a human female?) I didn't think you could do that to a horse.

We are talking about taking out her ovaries if they are found to be tumorous. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, it sounds dangerous to send her out to a breeding farm. Sometimes when mares come to my farm for service, they are understandably nervous, but the mares who do not settle down usually don't stand to be covered or do not conceive. I personally do not like trying to breed them like that as it causes them so much stress. As others have said, while AI has it's benefits, it is very expensive. If I were you I would rent a stallion and try breeding her at your stable. That way she is at a lesser risk of stressing out and colicking on you, and besides, stress in the mare reduces the chance of her conceiving anyway. If she has been checked out by a vet who knows equine reproduction just to rule out anything that may put her at too high a risk to breed, (it is always good to develop a working relationship with one when breeding horses, and it sounds like it would be of great interest to you ) and she has a clean bill of health, and you have a safe way to separate her and the stallion while they get to know each other ... I don't see why a breeder won't rent you a stud. I have done it for clients. As long as a new horse in the yard wont stress her out too much, it may be your safest bet. I hope it all works out for you.

Does she just not eat for the one day? It's really not uncommon. I personally wouldn't be too worried if she's totally fine after that. Obviously the farm will need to know to leave her with small amounts of wet food and keep topping up small amounts but they should be happy to do that.

Not eating for one day is a normal reaction to the stress of being in a new place.

If you can, my first option would be to lease a stallion for the season, or if you have somewhere you'd like to send her for service, make sure the stallion owners understand her "normal" reaction to being in a new place. Stallion owners that do outside breeding are usually good to work with and will take the extra steps to ensure she is back to her "norm" before putting her with their stallion. I had several outside mares come for breeding, and automatically separated the mare when she first arrived to be sure she was healthy from her trip before putting a "potentially" sick horse with any of my stallions.

Best of luck and should you have a successful breeding, I hope you will join us on the Mare/Foal forum here on LB.

Lease a stallion, ONLY if you know how to handle one. When they are around a mare in season - and sometimes even when the mare is "out" - they can be a major handful. I would not be too concerned that she goes off her feed for just a day. Just send her to the place for breeding a week or two before she is due to come into heat and she should be well settled by the time she comes in.

Ditto to what Jean B. posted. (Wish we had that "like button" back.)

There are people that do ai. But as already stated its expensive. Leasing a stallion is good if you have the facility and knowledge of how to handle one. Then you need to figure out her cycles and pray you bred her on the right days. Also do you want to pasture breed or hand breed? Some people are very particular.

Farms that do ai are very limited. I borrowed a stallion from a friend of mine and learned so much from it. It would be very beneficial to you. Since you are interested in equine repro. But if you have never handled a stallion then it may not be your best bet.

I suggest you ask farms close to you if you could shadow them for part of the breeding season and learn from them and how they work. Then go from there
default_smile.png
hope this helps

The ONLY reason this concerns me about sending her out is the OP mentioned when she has worry spills she has extra vet bills, so I guess really what does that mean? What is she doing to cause extra vet bills?

Ditto jms. It sounds to me like its more than just normal worrying about the change in environment that concerns the op.

Imo, if you have to ask ... dont do it.

I considered breeding too. Glad I didnt do it. I vote buy what you want. Its much cheaper in the long run and easier.

Back