To Bray or not to Bray ..............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denali

Reaction score
Ok, sorry, I have been very busy lately, so not around much. The new boys are settling in well and we finally decided on names for them. We decided to just go wtih something somewhat western sounding, like Levi, since they are just our pets. Also my favorite name to go with the designer label names was Tommy Hilfilger (sp?) but my Dad is Tom and my son's middle name is Thomas and I didn't think they would appreciate a donkey named after them!! After all, who wants an a** named after themselves? LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Soooooo, they are now Brady and Zeke! :bgrin My neighbors stopped by today and we were talking. They think Levi sounds like something being hurt and Brady sounds very similar but much deeper, or in their words, like a fog horn! And then there is Zeke, who doesn't seem to bray!! WHAT?!?!?! :new_shocked: He sometimes starts with the funny little huffing noises and squeals, but never actually brays. Sooooo, what is up with the non braying donkey???? Anyone????
default_wacko.png
:

We decided to put them together today, it has been about 10 days since they have been pastured side by side. We started with them all on leads, then after some kicking, snorting, braying, stomping, etc they settled down some. We let Zeke loose first, he is definitely the more submissive one of the bunch. Then we let Brady go and finally Levi. We also put two piles of hay out on opposite sides of the pasture and that has helped keep them busy. So far so good. Boy are they funny to watch though. We were cracking up!!
default_yes.gif
:

Vicki

Oh!! I LOVE the name Zeke!!

It suits a donkey well I think.

On the braying topic...it is so funny to hear the different types of brays.

My Muffy rarely ever used to bray at all...more the winding up to it like you described.

Then the Jack we were boarding moved away & her voice was restored!

Our new Molly has such a pitiful sound, much different than the other 2.

Sandy

I've meet a couple of donkeys that didn't bray. They would do the start up but never committed. Sounds a little different!

We had a full size boy that sounded just like a fog horn. It really fit when we would have a foggy morning.

I have a standard size jenny that has the most pitiful bray,
default_sad.png
but when she does let out with one WOW--she would be in competition with minimules boy, :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: she sounds just like a fog horn too. Our yearling jack still hasnt breyed..and I'm waiting
default_yes.gif
:
default_unsure.png
: Corinne

[SIZE=12pt]Vicki, I love the names.
default_yes.gif
: Which one's which? Does Brady or Zeke have the long hair?
[/SIZE]

Cotton, my year old gelding, has a very pitiful bray, if you can even call it a bray. He does what you described with the huffing and a little squeal at the end (sometimes).
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon :bgrin [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the names
default_yes.gif
:

The first jack that was born here we named "Braydy"

He lives on the hill above us and I hear him from time to time.
default_yes.gif
:

As far as brays go....I have a fog horn (Bunny)....wake the dead bray (Fawn) ...& a squeak from (Abbie)

LOL...Abbie really checks out Fawn when she brays...I think she is taking lessons.

I hope so...we don't need another fog horn
default_rolleyes.gif
:

:lol: :lol: My little guys sounds like that at first- I keep checking to see if he is weezing :lol: Then every once in a while he gets a good one off and then he sounds like a broken cow :risa_suelos:

Vicki, I love the names.
default_yes.gif
: Which one's which? Does Brady or Zeke have the long hair? >>>>>

Shannon,

Zeke is the one with the long mane (and the huffer/squeaker) and Brady is the black and the fog horn!

Vicki

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, so it's hippy Zeke...lol I just love his long hair!!
default_wub.png
: Thanks... Shannon
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back