To blanket or not to blanket?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeosPocoDan

Reaction score
Today was cold and rainy so I thought it was best to get Cinnamon a blanket like my two full sized horses. But none of the local tack stores sold mini sized ones, and I measured Cinnamon and she would only be a 28" since she is 4 months old. So we found her a large dog blanket.
default_biggrin.png

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

So what is everyones oppinions on blanketing?

OMG I have never seen anything more precious
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh what a sweet girl !!

I dont blanket as when I do they seem to think its a game to

see who can take the more off and some have come back to the

barn wearing them in strange ways !!

We have covered areas in each pen so they can get out of the rain

if they want to. And I must admit most times they would just as soon

stand out in the rain eating then get out of it !

I LOVE, LOVE the firse pic!!!!!! I have a fily that is also 28", got her a dog blanket from Double Diamond, works great. I would consider framing the first pic!!!!!

That is really cute but notice that strap is clipping her right in the flank area.

I don't blanket the minis. But if it's cold and rainy, mine are inside, especially the babies. That's what we built the barn for.

Your little baby there is very adorable by the way and does look very nice in green, just in time for Christmas! What a cutie pie.

umm Your big horse isn't too shabby either! Very handsome!
default_biggrin.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi! Cute photos! I unfortunately have to keep my one 27" yearling colt, Shrimp, blankted. He came from the world show in October (and is originally from FL) to NE and he thought he was going to die! loL! On the nice days I've kept the blankets off.....hoping he would grow hair. And he has "some"......but here this last week where it got down in the single digits at night and even though he has a heat light..... he thought he was going to die of cold! loL! So he's actually wearing 2 HEAVY winter blankets.... he's such a little bitty guy! Blankets are a REAL pain in the rear! Because they get use to having blankets and thier body doesn't grow enough hair otherwise to adapt to the cold...... I didn't have a choice with my Shrimp colt (not when it's this dang cold!!)

[SIZE=12pt]Too Cute
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

I guess everyone does things differently but I have always blanketed my guys in the winter. Especially if its raining or snowing. They have run in sheds but not a complete barn yet ( when we move, we're building one and an indoor ring
default_yes.gif
) I made a deal with my sweetie..... if I can't move to Florida yet, and have to move where there's still winter
default_sad.png
Then he has to supply an indoor barn and arena
default_biggrin.png
( he so easy
default_biggrin.png
)

Your little girl sure is cute! and so is your biggie
default_wub.png

Joy

My mare came from SO CA last winter. I was really worried because We have an actual winter here. I bought blankets and have one for each horse. But, they prefer NOT to wear them. Even if they are water proof. MyBarakah, I think I would take one of the blankets off the little guy so he can grow his own winter coat. Believe me, he will grow it fast.

Correct me if im wrong but dont the horses grow there winter coat by the hours of daylight NOT the actual cold weather???

Your baby is cute,,,,, and the dog coats a great idea and I dont blanket my minis or large horses either one,

That picture is just too cute!!
default_wub.png
The only ones I blanket are the ones that have been clipped for fall shows.....and then only until they've grown enough coat back. I have run in sheds that they do go into when its pouring or blowing.....but most of the time they like to stand in the rain. They have such thick coats I don't think the rain ever gets to their skin. The other thing about blanketing......some people think if they put a light blanket on it will give them extra warmth.......it's actually the opposite. The blanket smashes their hair down and prevents them from fluffing it out for warmth. So if you are going to blanket make sure the blanket is warm enough for the environment, otherwise they're better off without.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if im wrong but dont the horses grow there winter coat by the hours of daylight NOT the actual cold weather???

Your baby is cute,,,,, and the dog coats a great idea and I dont blanket my minis or large horses either one,
Ya know, that's what everyone says but I'll tell you I bought a quaterhorse mare several years ago from Kansas. Now you'd think she would have seen hard winters there but I brought her to Wisconsin and kept her in a boarding barn with lots of others. I was so concerned about her that I bought her a big heavy blanket that went up to her ears. She was stalled at night only. With all that and being groom at least every other day for riding (indoor arena), she never grew a thick winter coat. My riding instructor couldn't believe it.

After 3 years we moved to our own place and I could remove the blanket in the day time and blanket her at night only and her hair got longer. Go figure!

Latest posts

Back