Tire Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyborFarm

Reaction score
Last night my dad was looking through a Nothern Tool catalog and he showed me these wheels. They look like the wheels on the hyperbikes. Im getting into combined driving and these really sparked my intrest. I have an easy entry cart and a training cart that Im making into a showstyle cart. Id like your opinion on them before I decide to try them. Im curious on the weight capacity, as its only 150lbs. Any opinions are appreaciated.

Northern Tools Spoke Wheel

Edited to add: in my area wire spoke wheels aren't allowed in combined driving even for VSE. So I need either steel wheels, plastic wheels, or wood wheels (I'd rather not, not a fan of them)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look kinda flimsy to me. Two of them together would only have a 300 lb weight capacity... and you have to remember it's going to be you plus the cart... plus the strain over time. You really would be pushing it. Best to have something more sturdy than what you minimally need, I'd think?

Wood is great because it is strong but so lightweight.

Andrea

I used wheels like these on a sidecar for our son to deliver news papers from. they were plenty strong for two teenagers, a basket full of newspapers, and a dog.I think the tires have less weight capasity than the wheels. we stoped having wheel failures altogether.DR.

This particular wheel does not react well to lateral loading due to hub width. Application to an easy entry style cart would NOT be prudent. Failure will most likely occure at the hub.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

Could you explan this to me better. Im not quite sure what you mean by failure at the hub.

Thank you.

This particular wheel does not react well to lateral loading due to hub width. Application to an easy entry style cart would NOT be prudent. Failure will most likely occure at the hub.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

The wheel has a very narrow hub width. Narrow hub wheels of this type lack sufficient triangulation needed for enhanced lateral strength. When subjected to excesive lateral loading, the resulting failure will most likely occure in the hub. In other words, shesa broke. My experiance with this wheel is "fairly" extensive.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

That's Bob, the manufacturer of the Hyperbike. He means that wheel isn't built to take side stresses and would most likely buckle at the hub. Don't use it! LOL

Leia

Just saw his reply- forgive him, he's an engineer. LOL! Love ya Bob.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the BMX bike wheels (i'm talking not the NT ones she showed)? i thought those were made to take a lot of torque from all the stuff they do with them.... I have a pair of the Mongoose BMX wheels that have seemed to stand up well......

How do they decide the weight rating on wheels?

The wheels we are disscussing are (all of them) BMX wheels. They are made to take vertical loading, NOT lateral loading. java script:emoticon(':no:', 'smid_7')

:no:

Best wishes, I need to git out to the shop. It is usually not my bent to post, my apologies. I thought perhaps it prudent to avert a painfull out come.java script:emoticon(':eek:', 'smid_8')

:eek:

Bb

Graham Carriage Works :eek:

no one is upset because you posted..LOL I just thought the BMX were made to take more lateral load because the BMX riders certainly do a lot more side lateral impact stuff.... i know alot will land sideways and stuff... I'm just curious how they rate the wheels... I've been wondering about this for some time now.

If it weren't for your replys Bob, and my asking before I bought, there could have been an icky outcome! Thank you!
default_wub.png
:

Now its back on the hunt for a suitable wheel for trying CDE's. And trying to find something that is in my pricerange.

Hi Bob!

I wish you posted here more often -- your input on the various cart threads would be extremely valuable!

susanne

Boinky- I understand what you are saying. I replaced the bicycle spoke rims on my first pipe cart with BMX wheels. I had bent one of the spoke rims while fooling around out in the fields. Both sets of wheels and tires were actual bike rims from a bike shop, so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying the BMX wheels. They are made of a carbon-fibre kind of material, I'm not exactly sure what the technical name for it is. I have used them for several years, with no problems. We have done obstacle courses, barrel racing, and trail driving, and I have not bent a rim, broken a hub, or even had a blowout since putting these on. I can understand Bob's points, but for me, I was replacing one bike rim for another, so it worked. This was a few years ago, when I was not as educated about driving as I am now. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. As you can see from the attached photo, this cart does not have an axle, it has two bike forks to attach the wheels. I have since upgraded my cart and harness, but still keep this one around for fooling around. The great thing about this message board is that we can all have our opinions and experiences to talk about. What works for one may not work for another.

040926015712.jpg

Hey Peggy,

There are two reasons that this has worked for you so far. First the relatve light weight and geometry of your sulky vs. an easy entry.

Secondly, there will be a marginal increase in hub strength when choosing a 20 inch vs a 24 inch wheel. In other words the smaller wheel will be marginally stronger (laterally) over the larger wheel.

Bb.

As I look through various cart and harness shops I see a range in prices for wheels. From about $120 per steel wheel to $475 for wood wheels and an axel. I know in the long run its better to get a pair of good solid wheels which will be on the somewhat expensive side. But Im wondering if there is somewhere where I can get a good pair inexpensive. I just want them for this year so I can make sure that my mini is up for doing combined driving. If we both really enjoy it dad is going to buy me a pair of very good wheels, and maybe a new cart if Im lucky enough. I am going to some local hardware stores this weekend with my dad to see if we can find something strong enough. Where does everyone else get there wood or steel wheels? I have checked Leia's website and looked through all the steel wheels there, but I dont know if I want the steel or the wood.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back