Tips for keeping a black horse black.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ourhobbyfarm

Reaction score
How do I make my black horse black after body clipping. I've tried dark shampoos, conditioners, etc. What tips/tricks do you use?

If you have them on a good feed program, usually it takes a couple of days for their color to come back in after clipping. Lots of moisturizer helps also.

My blacks always tend to be different colors different times of the year when they are clipped. I'll be clipping my black mare this weekend and believe she will be much closer to being black then she was 6 weeks ago. At that point she was a kind of a mousy color.

Barbie

When you are clipping, you're going to discover that after the first two clippings a horse's color will begin to improve...black especially.

What also helps is a quality diet. I recommend an oil based supplement.

Don't allow your black horse out in the direct sun during the "sunburning" time of a day.

Be prepared for a black horse's coat to begin to fade again as Autumn hits. This is of course the worst time, if you are taking him/her to Nationals or Worlds.

I don't clip my black app until I have to (usually end of March or early April). He never shows clipped in the winter. The two years that I did, he just never got a deep black color in the rest of the year. He is never turned out in the sun except in the winter and is never ever put out in the sun after a bath (I learned that from the big horses). Also any sweat is rinsed away when he's done working. Salt will burn a black coat out very quickly. It helps that my boy is pretty much non-fading. Also, he is clipped with 15's a few days before he shows. When showing in color classes I prefer that he is a deep black over the 'fresh clipped' look.

Back