Tip of the day when getting your vehicle serviced . . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy's Run

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 pick up (six months old) that was due for its first oil change and tire rotation. Going to the Chevy dealership to have this done is just really inconvenient with me working full time and they have no Saturday service, so I took it to a local Sears. My thought was that this was basic service that anyone could do so I was confident. Normally, I would do these services myself, but with boyfriend being disabled, time is real tight, and the weather just not nice (we have no indoor garage to do such services) I felt that I had no choice but to put trust into someone else. Boy was I WRONG! While waiting for the truck to be done, my boyfriend and I went to Ruby Tuesday in the mall for a nice dinner.
default_laugh.png
After dinner went back to Sears to see if truck was done. Sure enough, I was told it was out back ready to go. So I paid and out we went. Got boyfriend settled in the truck and while I was putting his wheelchair in the truck bed, I looked down at my driver's side rear tire and noticed that it hadn't been moved to front - meaning they didn't do the tire rotation!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I only noticed this because the day before I was going through a tight drive thru and rubbed that particular tire on the curb so the outer wall was scuffed.
default_rolleyes.gif
So back into the garage I went and asked the mechanic what was up? I was totally FLOORED by his answer!!! He said that he only rotated the passenger side tires and FORGOT to do the driver's side and that it was "an honest mistake". :DOH! He then went on to say that they were real busy so he forgot and if I wanted it done he would do it then and there and it would only take him 5 minutes. :arg! OF COURSE I WANTED IT DONE!!!!! I PAID for this service!!!! So there I went, unloaded the wheelchair, got boyfriend out of truck, back into the garage we went where I left boyfriend to watch this so called mechanic try once again with my truck and off I went into Sears to the Auto manager and let him hear about it.
default_new_argue.gif
To make this short, I was refunded the price of tire rotation and received a zillion appologies. I guess it is back to doing things myself. At least this way I KNOW it will be done!!!!

So today's tip to everyone, WHENEVER you bring your vehicle in for service, make sure to MARK the items/parts that are being worked on or replaced. Before leaving the shop, check to make sure the work was performed as paid for. Example, take a permanent marker and write something on your oil filter so that you know that they changed it; take chalk and write LF, RF, LR, RR (left front, right front, left rear, right rear) on your tires so that you know they have been rotated properly. You can't trust anyone!!

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I've had similar problems before. Mechanics trying to take advantage of me because I'm a woman. I used to do all my own repairs but we have on street parking now and I don't feel safe under my car with all those crazies out there. You should have seen the faces of these mechanics when I called them on it. I would have laughed right there if I wasn't so angry.

However, there are great mechanics out there. The guy we have now is completely honest and a great guy to just sit and talk with. I remember waiting for my car to get fixed for 2 and a half hours. He only charged me for half an hour because the solution was a stupid one that should have taken only a half hour to fix. I'll never go to anyone else.

-Heather

I take my vehicle to my husband I am sure glad he can do it, saves a ton of money and I can trust he is doing it correctly!
default_smile.png

I started in the auto service industry a long time ago. Back then we did have actual customer service and you could normally trust the big name places, you were very lucky if you found a local shop you could trust. Now adays its a millions times worse, there are SO many fees and taxes that it is nearly impossible to make a living at it. So mechanics are rushed at best, untrustworth at worst. Just because a shop cahrges 'x' amount for labor per hour, doesnt mean that mechanic makes it, nor does that mean they spent that time on the job, usually they spent more.

That all being said, there was NO reason for them to forget to rotate a side of your truck! It is good that they stay on the same side and not rotate as was done in the past, but just wrong. You have to really wonder what else they 'forgot'. I have sat and waited for services before and had the SA call my husband because he must have figured I was an idiot. I have also had them bs me about changing stuff that I know they didnt. Worst case was one tried to tell me I needed a whole lotta front end work done. He went a got a 4' pry bar to pry the springs and went through this whole speel about wear. He was dumbfounded when told him my grandma could move a truck spring with a long enough pry bar :DOH! Mechanics ( some) will do what they can to make a buck and you have to be wary. If in doubt and you have that little voice saying beware, there is no harm in getting another opinion. Just dont walk in and say what the other mech said, let them decide.

If you can, find a shop that you are comfortable with and maybe that has a female SA. Usually we try harder to look out for our female customers and can talk back to the mechanics if they try some bs
default_wink.png

Well, after this experience, I have come to the conclusion that it is back to getting my hands dirty and greasy and do the maintenance myself. Things were great before boyfriend became disabled. We used to do all mechanical things on the vehicles. He had his own International Tractor trailer (without the trailer) and we rebuilt the motor in it together. That was a lot of fun. I was so proud of myself when we were finished and the truck started up on the first try.
default_aktion033.gif

But for those who are not mechanically inclined, please do be careful and pay attention.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

Gah!!! I've heard of things like that happening before. It always amazes me how if I go into the vehicle shops (whatever kind..) or tool stores even they treat me like an idiot and try to take advantage of me. However, if my boyfriend or father or any male really is with me then it's a totally different story. Luckily my boyfriend or dad are able to do most things for me and we have a good mechanic for things that they can't.

Latest posts

Back