Thumbelina's Title May be Stolen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I saw this on Global National last night. Apparently this little guy may stay smaller than Thumbelina and "shows no dwarf characteristics". They are also, for that reason, thinking of keeping him a stallion. When he looked straight at the camera I thought he looked "odd" (his eyes are bulging out) and his head looks HUGE. Anyway, he's cute (but I hope they don't keep him a stallion just because he's tiny
default_unsure.png
)

http://news.globaltv.com/video/index.html?releasePID=NTZ04X8aewCP7d7eWn9_uVOjfMMKua__

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad gum it... can't get the video to come up? Anyone else able to view it?

Ok, now it came up... I agree with you Matt. They said he is 14 inches but he was just born on Friday.... so he will certainly outgrow Thumbelina's 17 inches in time. I do agree that his head is very large compared to his body. Found a profile pic on the web and he does not look in porportion to me.

This little guy sure is getting a lot of attention! There's another thread on here going that is about him...actually right below this one! The link on that one is different and works. I've watched the video a few times and really don't see any dwarf characteristics-I don't think it is fair to judge his conformation from a news video that does not get good angles of the little guy-also, his owners have not given us permission to do so on this forum.

ETA: the other thread is the one titled, "wow, this ones tiny"

This little guy sure is getting a lot of attention! There's another thread on here going that is about him...actually right below this one! The link on that one is different and works. I've watched the video a few times and really don't see any dwarf characteristics-I don't think it is fair to judge his conformation from a news video that does not get good angles of the little guy-also, his owners have not given us permission to do so on this forum.

ETA: the other thread is the one titled, "wow, this ones tiny"

If the video is public it can be used on here (millions of people have seen it). Isn't that what a forum is for? Discussion?

Sigh...I guess this forum is only for discussing things that a member wants to hear (or what they say they want to hear). He's very cute.
default_biggrin.png

No sighing! I wasn't trying to be mean...just think that the video isn't one in which a person can judge the little guy. Of course this is a place of discussion. My favorite place for it in fact
default_smile.png
I was just thinking about if I was the owner. I would be very excited to have my little colt on television and very excited that he is so tiny and perfect. I wouldn't want someone taking the video and telling me and everyone else his flaws. BUT, you are right-the video is public and this is a public forum, so discuss away.

p.s.-I agree that he is terribly cute!
default_yes.gif

I really doubt this horse will stay smaller than Thumbalina. Thumbalina is 17 inches at full height. This colt is 14 inches. If he is in fact not a dwarf, and grows at a similar rate to other minis, he will far outgrow the height of 17 inch Thumbalina. Thumbalina was born at a heavier weight than this colt, however she was also a dwarf, which tend to be "clunkier" so it makes sense that she would be heavier. I am sure this colt will be small, but doubtfully a world record breaker. I also agree with Matt73, the head is rather large, and it wouldn't surprise me if the colt was in fact exhibiting dwarf characteristics, just not to the extreme that we often see it. . . . .

Yup, he sure is cute...that's a fact.

Never the less, I too think he is out of proportion, which doesn't necessarily mean "dwarf"...goodness no. I have seen horses of all types and breeds with disportionate parts here and there...it happens; but they shouldn't and are usually not bred.

I hope that if they are thinking of using him as a breeding stallion, they look long and hard...very critically, (as we all should) before keeping him intact, and do not breed him simply because of his size.

I haven't said a word on this topic yet, but think I will now.

First of all...he's a TOTAL DOLL!
wub.gif
Oh my he's just too much. Just want to hug him!!!

Personally, I don't care about any world records, but that's just me. And I do think that he's leggy and fairly short backed and neither of those are things we see when a horse in a dwarf - at least not often. But as totally adorable as he is it really disturbs me all the press he is getting and how he is being offered to the public as a non-dwarf, well-conformed miniature horse. I've now seen a ton of pics of him from various sites and seen the video, etc. and I personally (yep, my personal opinion) is that he does exhibit visual dwarf characteristics. His owners are welcome to disagree with me, but I too am entitled to my opinion. No matter what view I see and if it's video or a still shot, his head to WAY out of proportion to his body. And obviously, with no test yet, who can say? But I would hope the owners would think long and hard about their quick decision to keep him a stallion. But it is THEIR decision...this is just my hope.

After the heartbreak of seeing Corona sire a dwarf and that little angel being so deformed and never going to live a pain-free life and then on top of that knowing that the birth of that dwarf directly led to the eventual death of the mare - well it's just not worth it folks. So much heartache from just one breeding.
no.gif

I'm sure his breeders and owners are wonderful people. I do not question that at all. I just worry about the effect of him being held up to the public as correct and also the "what ifs" of him breeding in the future. Again, the one thing I'm sure of, he's a total doll and I wish all involved the best.

Last edited:
I remember in the mid to late 70's that JC Williams had a filly named Ginger that measured 14 inches when she was several months old. Not sure what she measured at birth, he had several hundred minis. I remember his picture in a national magazine, and this filly was no dwarf. Does anyone else remember this?

I have to agree with all of the above. I thought he looked amazing online until I saw him on the news. The forehead is really bulging out which you dont get unless you see him head on. Also as we have all seen over the years many times the characteristics get worse as they get some age on them. I do wish him all the best as he is cute.

They broke the world record for smallest birth weight of a foal.

I think this foal is super cute, and wish the owner's of him much success no matter what they decide to do with him..
default_aktion033.gif

With a body so tiny,- its no wonder his head seems a little big, but I think he will grow into it just fine.
default_yes.gif

I myself would have been very happy to have something that adorable born on my ranch..
default_wub.png

No matter what you think of Einstein personally, he's going to create a major opportunity for all of us to educate others on our minis. I can't believe the number of Einstein-inspired questions I'm already getting!

He's is super cute.

What is the world record for a non dwarf? If Tumblalina was a dwarf. She would be the smallest dwarf ever recorded. That would be a different classification. I am trying to understand why every one stands up for the smallest mini and applaudes at how small she is when she is actually a dwarf. I don't think anyone should be braggin about the smallest being a dwarf. I would look at the smallest mini being a correct individual. I am sure the Amha must have record, but with out a instituted measuring system we may never truely get a correct record. You can't go by papers, with out an official measurement.

Sorry not trying to put a damper on things, but thinking out loud. Just my thoughts.

Best of luck to the little guy.

WOW...I can't believe how much of a response I am learing about this little guy. I hadn't heard about the little guy until I walked into work today. Both non-horse and big-horse folks are telling me about him. So, of course I had to check him out. He is very sweet and adorable I have to admit. However, I think it confuses people who are not familair with miniature horses. Other teachers have been asking me if thats what my miniature foals look like. Their first reactions were "it looks odd", "It's head is large", " what's wrong with it's back legs". live in a small rural community that is not very familar with miniature horses. The two diverse ideas that people have about them is that they are either shetland or they are dwarfs. I work hard at trying to educate others in my area about the versatiilty and correct conformation of a miniature horse, thru school and community outings. It is a slow process especially in a rural area where a majority of the community are working ranchers and cowboys who don't see a purpose to a small equine. I am grateful that miniature horses are getting national recognition, I just wish it would be some that are in able to compete successfully in halter and performance classes. When I first began my journey into the miniature horse world and told my fellow " big horse" friends and breeders, I was met with negative reactions. I can now chuckle at the remarks and odd expressions I receive from people when I tell them I raise miniature horses. I know make it my goal to educate people on the remarkable talents and abilities of these little equines. Sorry about the ramble......I am just so grateful to Mary Lou for creating a place where I can share my obsession with wonderful people to understand!

I saw him on Good Morning America today. He is cute, but I would have to agree that his head is bulging and his eye are also bulging.

There are many foals that are born looking somewhat normal and as they grow they take on more of the characteristics of a minimal dwarf. I am afraid that this will be one of them. I hope not for the breeders sake, but if he is, I sure would not want them to breed him.

So far he seems to be able to move without any problems.

My other concern is what the general public will feel. It should bring a larger interest in the Mini, but people will be looking for something that tiny.

Judy and her family are having a much deserved wonderful time with this little spitfire! You can not take the smiles off of their faces! Why would anyone want to take that away from them!!! Judy is a well respected breeder whom has been at this for over 20 years and spent a small fortune (IMO) purchasing her beloved herd sire!

Wether you think the little guy is correct or not, why don't you just wait and see, he's only days old for goodness sakes! If I were just now toying with the idea of getting into Mini's and came to this site and read this thread, I just might change my mind. Isn't owning a Mini supposed to be fun!!?? This thread doesn't sound like very fun people. Why are we trying to take away the fun? I would LOVE to have news crews knocking on my doors at all hours just to get a shot at my precious baby!! How exciting!!

If your only problem about the story is the talk about breeding him, well I can guarantee you that if there is ANYTHING out of place with this guy, the breeder would never allow him to be bred!!! IMO I think she is just allowing the new owner to have some fun with the media. Judy is not one to sit and coach the new owner in what to say and what not to say, she is just letting a very excited new owner have the time of her life!! She is not the least bit worried about what people think.

Judy took me in after she was horrified at how I was deceitfully sold a minimal dwarf 5 yrs ago! She has shown me how it is to work with an honest, careing breeder whom is just an email or phonecall away day or night to answer all of my sometimes stupid questions!

Why don't we just give this tiny guy some time to grow a little and see how it all works out! In the meantime, let them have a blast with him!! I for one can't wait to hug him again!!!

Judy and her family are having a much deserved wonderful time with this little spitfire! You can not take the smiles off of their faces! Why would anyone want to take that away from them!!! Judy is a well respected breeder whom has been at this for over 20 years and spent a small fortune (IMO) purchasing her beloved herd sire!

Wether you think the little guy is correct or not, why don't you just wait and see, he's only days old for goodness sakes! If I were just now toying with the idea of getting into Mini's and came to this site and read this thread, I just might change my mind. Isn't owning a Mini supposed to be fun!!?? This thread doesn't sound like very fun people. Why are we trying to take away the fun? I would LOVE to have news crews knocking on my doors at all hours just to get a shot at my precious baby!! How exciting!!

If your only problem about the story is the talk about breeding him, well I can guarantee you that if there is ANYTHING out of place with this guy, the breeder would never allow him to be bred!!! IMO I think she is just allowing the new owner to have some fun with the media. Judy is not one to sit and coach the new owner in what to say and what not to say, she is just letting a very excited new owner have the time of her life!! She is not the least bit worried about what people think.

Judy took me in after she was horrified at how I was deceitfully sold a minimal dwarf 5 yrs ago! She has shown me how it is to work with an honest, careing breeder whom is just an email or phonecall away day or night to answer all of my sometimes stupid questions!

Why don't we just give this tiny guy some time to grow a little and see how it all works out! In the meantime, let them have a blast with him!! I for one can't wait to hug him again!!!
Thank you for posting this. I don't know these nice folks so it's great to hear that they are educated and know what they have. And having minis SHOULD be about fun! That should be first and foremost for all of us. But there is also responsibility and when the media is invited in I personally believe along with that comes increased responsibility. And to offer up a colt as a breeding prospect - which has absolutely been done with this adorable little guy, interview after interview - then you are opening yourself up to public comment. And as one who has personally experienced what having a carrier of one or more of the dwarf genes means to a breeding program, well, I'm heartbroken when thinking of the possibilities.

I wish all involved the best and I hope for everyone's sake, including this precious little guy, that the best decisions are made. And it sounds like the breeders are knowledgable, caring folks, so it will all work out I'm sure.
smile.gif

I look forward to the day when someone's drop dead gorgeous World Champion quality miniature is plastered all over the front page of every news outlet. It will be nice for non-mini, non-horsey folks to see what the breed is really about. But that's not "news" is it?

Ok, I just cant stop. I'm sorry but I feel so strongly about this.

There is a forum member who I admire SO much and I would love to mention her by name but she isn't offering herself up to the media for scrutiny so I won't. But she owns, and shows, a drop dead GORGEOUS gelding that has gone all the way to World Reserve GRAND Champion in halter. He's STUNNING. And he has an incredibly sought after pedigree. When I first saw him in person at a regional show I asked her "why in the world did you geld him?" And she told me. And at that moment I gained so much respect for her. I won't go into details, but she bred him once and the foal wasn't up to her standards. We'll leave it at that. No, the baby wasn't a dwarf, but also wasn't as close to perfect as she'd hoped. In my opinion, that is what I wished we all were talking about - stories like that that are about people who are working their butts off to improve the breed. Quietly tweaking their herd, spending their very hard earned money buying, breeding and showing only the best they can.

If she wishes to "out" herself, then great. But if not, that's her perogotive. But that's the real story folks. Too bad that's not news worthy.

Last edited:
I did not see him on TV just a quick photo shot of him. He is adorable. Our little Sadie was about 6 lbs at birth and at just over a year was just under 17 inches. She was though a dwarf although it did take a bit of time until it truly showed itself to my very uneductated eye. Way back then a few forum members did see it before we did.

All of that said dwarf or not (I certainly can not judge a baby I have not seen)I hope that this little guy brings them tons of joy. Nothing is cuter then a little horse smaller then a medium dog running around.

My only word of advice is watch your shins LOL Sadie LOVED to get her way and we spoiled her rotten being the diva she was... if she didnt get it quick enough she turned and nailed me in the shins every time LOL
default_biggrin.png

Back