Thumbelina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't watch the video (dial up) but just wanted to add that I'm sure the owners of Thumbelina always have her best interests in mind and I don't think anyone needs to worry about her...from what I've heard and seen on this horse, she is very well taken care of.

I think what they are doing to this poor little gal, is just horrible. I honestly wish the owners would just let her be a horse. They are exploiting her as the world smallest horse at no ones expense except poor Tumbelina, and she dont seem to be enjoying it very much. Even with the first video you could see where she tried to bite, the second video said it all.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
Janell, I think your letter was very well written and right to the point. StarRidge, THANK YOU for letting Kay know about how we feel.

I'm probably going to get flamed here...but I do not think the owners are exploiting her...Thumbelina has a job just as many horses have "jobs" and I'm sure many horses get tired and cranky at work (or shows for that matter), just as people do. This horse has raised tons of money for sick children and done so much good it's unbelievable. I stand by my post that this horse is very well taken care of (from what I've seen at least). The owners of this horse do these tours at their own expense too, I say they are doing a wonderful thing
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably won't be a 'popular' position--but IMO, a dwarf miniature horse should NEVER be 'used' in a public display, no matter HOW good the cause. Why? Because the general public is just NOT going to recognize the health issues and problems of dwarfism; when they see one on public display, they see 'cute', not much else-no matter what they are told. In an educational forum locally-say, a 4H club meeting or the like-where the dwarf could be CONTRASTED with a healthy miniature without disabling physical issues-then, perhaps--but otherwise, NEVER.

Additionally, I believe it is unkind to virtually ANY horse to subject it to an overage of public display/access. I have yet to meet a horse that didn't get SICK of it when it had to endure too much of such 'access'. It is human nature,and understandable, for people to want to touch;still, most horses get VERY tired of this, esp. when it comes from strangers, after a time-and understandably so. EVEN horses that are 'kept away' from actual physical contact from the 'public(such as those who are shown extensively, or travel as exhibitions-i.e., some of the big-name multiple hitches) can suffer from defensive,aggrevated responses-wouldn't you, if you were shut in a small space with a lot of noise and worse, constant physical contact from strangers? I used to take miniatures up to our State Fair and just lead them around, for people to see and enjoy...I was ALWAYS with them, and careful to supervise--but after a time-an hour or so at most-of 'being out and about', it was time to return to their (secluded, where the 'public' didn't usually roam) stalls, and exchange horses! A 'little' of this kind of public exposure can actually be beneficial to a horse's overall acceptance of the world around it, but a 'lot' has SERIOUS drawbacks to the horse, in my experience.

Margo

default_aktion033.gif
Margo, I love your good common sense
default_aktion033.gif
That little horse is not living a happy life being drug around as she is! Mary

This probably won't be a 'popular' position--but IMO, a dwarf miniature horse should NEVER be 'used' in a public display, no matter HOW good the cause. Why? Because the general public is just NOT going to recognize the health issues and problems of dwarfism; when they see one on public display, they see 'cute', not much else-no matter what they are told. In an educational forum locally-say, a 4H club meeting or the like-where the dwarf could be CONTRASTED with a healthy miniature without disabling physical issues-then, perhaps--but otherwise, NEVER.

Additionally, I believe it is unkind to virtually ANY horse to subject it to an overage of public display/access. I have yet to meet a horse that didn't get SICK of it when it had to endure too much of such 'access'. It is human nature,and understandable, for people to want to touch;still, most horses get VERY tired of this, esp. when it comes from strangers, after a time-and understandably so. EVEN horses that are 'kept away' from actual physical contact from the 'public(such as those who are shown extensively, or travel as exhibitions-i.e., some of the big-name multiple hitches) can suffer from defensive,aggrevated responses-wouldn't you, if you were shut in a small space with a lot of noise and worse, constant physical contact from strangers? I used to take miniatures up to our State Fair and just lead them around, for people to see and enjoy...I was ALWAYS with them, and careful to supervise--but after a time-an hour or so at most-of 'being out and about', it was time to return to their (secluded, where the 'public' didn't usually roam) stalls, and exchange horses! A 'little' of this kind of public exposure can actually be beneficial to a horse's overall acceptance of the world around it, but a 'lot' has SERIOUS drawbacks to the horse, in my experience.

Margo

It is my opinion that NO dwarf Mini should ever have to have a "JOB",
default_no.gif
These babies have so many strikes against them to begin with!
default_sad.png
90% of show horses have ulcers....what do ya suppose little Thumbalina's tummy is like?
default_sad.png

Margo I have to disagree with ya on a dwarf Mini NEVER being used as a public display.... if it is done in the correct manner, these little horses can help to educate the public and make them aware of the fact that YES, dwarfism IS a reality in the Miniature Horse breed. I feel that too many times, new people get into the Miniature Horses, without a breeder ever discussing this reality with them, then they are completely surprised and totally unprepared to deal with a dwarf foal when their mare delivers one.
default_sad.png
Either that or a breeder will conveniently forget to mention to the buyer that the horse has conformation problems, or assures them that that underbite WILL correct it's self in time, or that crooked leg just needs to have some corrective trimming done on the hoof. I have SO many folks writing to me who were sold horses that are dwarves or minimal expression dwarves, that this has happened to, and it's just NOT right!
default_no.gif

I really feel that all the Minaiture Horse clubs should make "Dwarfism in the Miniature Horse" a topic at their meetings at least once a year. Someone in the club will have a dwarf Mini or two to bring and show the newbies what to look for when purchasing horses, compare them to a show quality horse so they can see the differences, tell them what to expect if they do have a dwarf foal, and make it VERY clear that horses with any dwarf characteristics should NEVER be bred.

I worry about little Thumbalina's fast exposure to the public creating an even larger demand for Dwaf Minis or "Mini Minis" as Mr. Goessling called her, because he is NOT elaborating on all the health and leg problems that a LOT of dwarf Minis have, and that they are NOT pets and certainly are NOT for everyone.
default_sad.png

Ok getting down off my soapbox now.
default_biggrin.png

I am sure she is very well taken care of, I don't think anyone is disputing that. But what we are trying to say here is her health should be considered, first and formost. My gosh~~ even the Budweiser Clydes. who are in great demand, always travel with a spare two horses, just in case, or to give another hitch horse a break...poor little Thumbelina has no one to give her a break for all the publicity. As far as helping kids and charity, sure its great, but again, its being done at the expense of Thumbelinas health. There are many minis who go to nursing homes, kids hospital wards, etc, but these minis are not doing it daily, and it is not wearing on these minis. Janell, if your getting off your soapbox I will climb on it. I am in 100% agreement with you on everything you have said. I have even had a 4-H group over, to learn about minis ~~ dwarfism is one of the very fist things I told them about. A few years back, I along with another forum member wrote a very well written pamphlet on dwarfism for a rescue group, a lot of time and thought was put into it, however because the rescue group didn't get FULL credit for writing it, they refused to use it. I have kept it and printed it out and that little pamphlet is what I hand out to anyone new to minis.. I don't see any literature being handed out on dwarfism when Thumbelina is on display. The public needs education on dwarfism in our breed. Ok, climbing off my soap box now.. Corinne

I certainly understand you all are concerned for her health. If she was a dwarf with serious health conditions then I definately see your point on how she shouldn't be doing this, she is fortunate that she is in much better shape than alot of dwarfs. I also understand your point about educating the public on dwarfs.

I don't see any literature being handed out on dwarfism when Thumbelina is on display.
I can see this point, but remember they are not trying to promote dwarfs, they are trying to raise money to help sick children. Thumbelina is just an attraction to encourage people to donate.

Just because she is a dwarf doesn't mean she shouldn't have a "job" (as long as she is healthy of course), many animals love having a job and thrive on it. I like to think that Thumbelina is one of those animals or the owners would not do it.

I certainly understand you all are concerned for her health. If she was a dwarf with serious health conditions then I definately see your point on how she shouldn't be doing this, she is fortunate that she is in much better shape than alot of dwarfs. I also understand your point about educating the public on dwarfs.

I don't see any literature being handed out on dwarfism when Thumbelina is on display.
I can see this point, but remember they are not trying to promote dwarfs, they are trying to raise money to help sick children. Thumbelina is just an attraction to encourage people to donate.

Just because she is a dwarf doesn't mean she shouldn't have a "job" (as long as she is healthy of course), many animals love having a job and thrive on it. I like to think that Thumbelina is one of those animals or the owners would not do it.

I agree if healthy, and not hurting her in any way, her health might be better with being used instead of just out grazing being a horse, I do believe in horses being used instead of standing being idle. Much happier and healthier in my eyes.

Being she is a dwarf and does not look the norm, might just help that one sick child feel better.
default_wub.png
So glad we all have our opinions, just might change someones mind.

Back