Thumbelina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When does a horse get tired of being loved, and she was a horse for 7 years already, look at the smiles on the poor children, that she is raising so much money for.

Sorry I know others will disagree, but I am sure they are watching her health and happiness.

Thumbelina is drinking, eating, has air condition, has excellent shelter, handling and grooming daily and feet trimmed, signs of being OK
default_saludando.gif

The link kept cutting out, but thanks for sharing..enjoyed it....
default_wub.png

Actually, I am glad to see this as I think the interviews are going better, more explicit that she is a dwarf and we do not breed them and/or want them in the breeding pool.

She appears very healthy, well cared for and true, I saw her ears back but she certainly seems to behave with the children.

I have no doubt that she is getting taken care of. And I am glad that she is doing so much good for so many people. I just don't remember her pinning her ears and trying to bite so much in earlier videos of her. I saw a video not too long ago where she was actually charging the fence, ears pinned, at some kids on the other side. I didn't mean to sound like she was being mistreated, just seems like maybe she could use a vacation. I can see a horse getting tired of constant attention from a lot of strangers.

She is adorable, BUT why are they feeding her 2 full cups of grain a day?? That seems like alot for one as small as her.. He said a few handfulls of hay a day, I wonder why not more hay and less grain or is that something you do with dwarves??

She is adorable, BUT why are they feeding her 2 full cups of grain a day?? That seems like alot for one as small as her.. He said a few handfulls of hay a day, I wonder why not more hay and less grain or is that something you do with dwarves??
I am not sure about dwarfs but I do know hay give hay bellies...
default_yes.gif

We all need breaks and I hope she gets them. I know I do and my show horses get sour if I try to do back to back shows. I have done 2 but 3 makes them tired and grumpy so I try to never make a horse do 3 weeks in a row.

I am pleased how she looks though. I do not think that amount of grain is too much for her. Obviously she is not over or underweight. It also looks like she gets exercise.

I've seen her as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I was at their house and she was just being a horse. She didn't strike me as irritated, or aggressive, or anything. She seemed just like she always is - where's my treat and are you going to scratch me?! She is surely in charge, but that's just her personality. She's SO gentle with kids it's amazing! It's like she knows that's her purpose in life.
default_wub.png

I don't know the owners but I love what they are doing. I think it's great the owners are using her as a vehicle to help sick children.

What an unselfish and wonderful thing to do. It's amazing that she was brought into a family that would know she would bring a special message of hope and love to those that need to see her.

I am also quite sure they know what is best for Thumblina and when it's time for her to go home and play. That little horse doesn't want for a thing.

I am sure little Thumbalina is very well cared for, but how could ANY horse keep up with that tour she has been on? Her owner said HE was exhausted, so what do you think all this traveling and stress has been like for her? I have been very concerned about little Thumbalina's health every since I heard about this tour they were taking her on. I don't have one dwarf Miniature that I would feel like they could handle that kind of stress, heck I don't have a Miniature Horse I feel like would do wel with a tour like this!

I REALLY hope that little Thumbalinawill be able to stay home and just be a horse now!

I did notice that he said, yes, they can be bred...I wish he had NOT said that!
default_no.gif
And I did not like it when he said that Thumbalina is a dwarf Miniature or a mini Mini as they like to call her. I would have been MUCH more impressed if he had elaborated more on dwarfism in the Miniature Horse, telling folks that NO they do NOT want to go out and buy their kids a dwarf Mini, and list all the reason's why.

Do you know how MANY little kids are begging their folks for a mini Mini now that she has been all over the U.S.? I am sure their tour has raised a LOT of money for some very good causes, but I just hope it has not created an even larger demand for dwarf Miniature Horses!

I think it would depend on what kind of feed they are giving Thumbalina, as to whether or not a cup of it twice a day is too much. I give my dwarf Minis 1/2 cup of a mixture of 5/6 Triple Crown Lite & 1/6 Purina's Complete Advantage twice a day, plus their daily wormer, Fastrack, and their joint supplement, they have access to a good quality grass hay 24 hours a day, and if the weather is not bad, they have acess to their pasture 24 hours a day. Hay does NOT cause a "hay belly" on horses. The big tummies on certain types of dwarf Minis are not caused from hay or being over weight...their little bodies stop growing, but their internal organs continue to grow, and are pertnear the same size as a "normal" Miniature Horse. There is nowhere else for all those large internal organs to go, but out and down.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the video I was thinking about where she is charging the kids. It says it is Thumbelina, maybe it is actually a different horse? But the horse in this video looks unhappy about something! At least at the moment. It almost looks like there is no one supervising the kids though and they seem to be grabbing at the little horse. Not intentionally trying to hurt or tease her, just very excited to try and touch her. Maybe she felt like she was being teased?

Oh my gosh Babygoose Thumbelina is definately upset in that video.

Perhaps she does need some rest from all this excitement.

YES! that is definitely little Thumbalina! And she is definitely VERY unhappy there
default_sad.png
....can ya blame the little thing????? bless her heart. I have tears in my eyes from watching this very disturbing video. Thumbalina is being expoited, if this is what they are doing with this baby girl....I'm sorry but this is JUST NOT RIGHT!
default_no.gif

This is the video I was thinking about where she is charging the kids. It says it is Thumbelina, maybe it is actually a different horse? But the horse in this video looks unhappy about something! At least at the moment. It almost looks like there is no one supervising the kids though and they seem to be grabbing at the little horse. Not intentionally trying to hurt or tease her, just very excited to try and touch her. Maybe she felt like she was being teased?

These kids dont seem to be special needs so maybe Thumbelina can tell that and is getting tired of being picked at.. He said she just knows when its a special needs child or whatever and acts accordingly..

No she isnt happy in here at all...

I am sure little Thumbalina is very well cared for, but how could ANY horse keep up with that tour she has been on? Her owner said HE was exhausted, so what do you think all this traveling and stress has been like for her? I have been very concerned about little Thumbalina's health every since I heard about this tour they were taking her on. I don't have one dwarf Miniature that I would feel like they could handle that kind of stress, heck I don't have a Miniature Horse I feel like would do wel with a tour like this!

I REALLY hope that little Thumbalinawill be able to stay home and just be a horse now!

I did notice that he said, yes, they can be bred...I wish he had NOT said that!
default_no.gif
And I did not like it when he said that Thumbalina is a dwarf Miniature or a mini Mini as they like to call her. I would have been MUCH more impressed if he had elaborated more on dwarfism in the Miniature Horse, telling folks that NO they do NOT want to go out and buy their kids a dwarf Mini, and list all the reason's why.

Do you know how MANY little kids are begging their folks for a mini Mini now that she has been all over the U.S.? I am sure their tour has raised a LOT of money for some very good causes, but I just hope it has not created an even larger demand for dwarf Miniature Horses!

I think it would depend on what kind of feed they are giving Thumbalina, as to whether or not a cup of it twice a day is too much. I give my dwarf Minis 1/2 cup of a mixture of 5/6 Triple Crown Lite & 1/6 Purina's Complete Advantage twice a day, plus their daily wormer, Fastrack, and their joint supplement, they have access to a good quality grass hay 24 hours a day, and if the weather is not bad, they have acess to their pasture 24 hours a day. Hay does NOT cause a "hay belly" on horses. The big tummies on certain types of dwarf Minis are not caused from hay or being over weight...their little bodies stop growing, but their internal organs continue to grow, and are pertnear the same size as a "normal" Miniature Horse. There is nowhere else for all those large internal organs to go, but out and down.
I also agree about when she asked if she could be bred he said yes. I think he should have said no you dont EVER breed a dwarf because the outcome can be bad. He did say some dwarves dont live that long but Thumbelina is very healthy etc.. So then some people could be led to believe oh its fine to breed for a dwarf!! I think he should have told all the things that can be wrong with a dwarf,short life expectancy, bad feet, bite, lots of expense,etc so as not to make people want a dwarf.. he also should have said "we are lucky that Thumbelia is ok where most could not be put thru this", " she is the exception to the rule of dwarves" ...

I thought that 2 cups a day of grain sounded like too much for a 57 pounder, IMO plus only a few handfuls of hay aday. I thought hay was better because it is natural forage which a horse is supposed to eat.. What you are saying 1/2 cup twice a day sounds more right IMO... So I was just wondering... I didnt know if it was different for dwarves or not...Thanks..

Oh dear.......That second video sure shows that she'd HAD IT.

Her schedule on the website indicates that she is taking some time off over the winter. So that's good.

MA

Holy $*%! I've seen her a hundred times and she's NEVER been like that!!
default_new_shocked.gif
She's a little pistol, but not like that!

I think I'm going to talk to Kay (her owner) and see if she knows about this. It's her son that does the touring and although he's a very nice guy also, I don't believe he was a horse person before this.

Oh my...
default_no.gif

Pamela you wrote:

Holy $*%! I've seen her a hundred times and she's NEVER been like that!! She's a little pistol, but not like that!
I think I'm going to talk to Kay (her owner) and see if she knows about this. It's her son that does the touring and although he's a very nice guy also, I don't believe he was a horse person before this.

Oh my...
default_sad.png
I am VERY pleased to hear that you will be talking with Kay! THANK YOU Hon!
default_smile.png

I sent this e-mail to their contact address they have on their website for "The Smallest Horse In The World"

Hello Paul, Kay & Michael Goessling~

I just watched this video (that I posted the link to above) of your little DWARF Miniature Horse.

I have been VERY concerned about little Thumbalina's health and well-being ever since I heard of that tour that you were taking her on. I myself, have adopted 7 dwarf Minis over the last 13 years. I still have 6, I lost my Little Bit 4 1/2 years ago, and I still have my Tessa who will be 13 years old in January. To tell you the truth I could never consider dragging any one of my dwarf Minis around the nation like you have little Thumbalina, for any cause, no matter how good it was, because I ALWAYS have my dwarves' health and well-being in mind, over anything else! I couldn't imagine doing this kind of a tour with one of my "normal" Miniature horses, little lone one of my dwarves!

Looking at this VERY disturbing video, just made me cry for little Thumbalina!

It is VERY clear that this little horse is VERY upset and sick and tired of being drug from town to town all across the United States and mauled by people! In this video, it does not look like there was any supervision at all! Why was this allowed to happen, where was her handler when this video was taken? Why was Thumbalina allowed to be harrased to the point of her running, biting, kicking and pinning her ears; desperately trying to tell those kids or anyone who would pay attention to her, that she just wanted to be left ALONE, taken home and allowed to be a little dwarf Miniature Horse!

PLEASE I beg of you to take little Thumbalina home and let her live a life as normal as a dwarf Mini can.

Me & the Biscuits are sending along some extra special sugars for that baby girl... she is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Janell & her Biscuits: Tessa, Strawberry, Smidgen, Inky, Dusty & Toy

Little Bit's *Magic Shoes*

http://www.littlemagicshoes.com

Little Bit's Forum & dwarf mini adoption program

http://wwminis.forumup.us/index.php?mforum=wwminis

Here is the Goessling's e-mail address, if you would also like to express your concerns for little Thumbalina:

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back