Thrush???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
My mini mare got thrush, not sure how her hooves are cleaned daily. However its made her pretty sore when you pick her hooves. She kicks and pulls her hoof away. Shes fine walking just when you pick them. Ive been picking her hooves daily and putting 50% Clorox and 50% water on it. After a week that did nothing so I switched to Hoof Heal. That helped with the soreness when I picked it but the thrush is still there. My farrier said it was thrush but there is no bad smell which I find strange. He also said that she is very deep next to her frog so im wondering if I get more heal off her hoof if it would help?? Also what can I do to get ride of her thrush??

Pictures would help a lot. Thrush is a general term sometimes that people use to describe bacterial or fungal infections in the hoof, they are very common. Picking her out daily is the best thing in the world, it does make a difference. Being deep, she could have long heels which will contribute to the infection, does she have a crack going up her heel bulbs? My mare had deep collateral grooves along the frog from infection when we brought her home. It made her severly lame so every day I carefully scrubbed her hooves after picking with warm water and blue Dawn on a mat. Dried then soaked her in White Lightening which is the best stuff next to Cleantrax to get deep up into everything and kill out any infection. You can google how people use it, many people give their tips that the company doesn't have on how to use it best to be most effective. It is more widely available now. Then daily we picked and then with a syringe put a dab of Pete Ramey's inexpensive hoof goo in the deep areas and cracks of the frog, grooves, and bulb. Using generic Wally World triple antibiotic cream 2 oz mixed with antifungal foot cream 2oz. It works amazing. But if she is long it won't clear up but will help her anyway. Bleach is way too toxic especially at 50% (just my humble opinion) it is caustic to the tissue. So it destroys any tissue that is healthy as it destroy's any bacteria or fungus.

Any horse can have thrush or fungus no matter how clean you keep them. It's in the manure, manure dust, dirt etc.

I find with stubborn thrush saoking the horses foot can be a huge benefit. I personally like to make a supr thick copper sulfate and water kind of paste, sticking it in a gladware container, and having the horse stand in it, I've also packed it into a foot, and wrapped it up too, with a good amount of success. However, it is toxic if the horse eats it. Has no effect through the foot though - and I've seen my heifers drink an 8% solution (we make them walk through it a few times a week to keep their feet good!) like its a tasty beverage with no effects :facepalm: . However, I would NOT risk it with my ponies!!!!

Also, is she is a dry spot? maybe a stall with thick bedding picked a few times a day would be a good spot for her for a week or two. I know its mud season up here!

My hoof trimmer keeps the stuff used for mastitis in cows. It comes with a needle; she can inject the medication under the frog with the needle.

If your mare's hooves are contracted it is harder to clear up problems.

I've had better luck with peroxide than Clorox. One of mine tends to have tall heels and gets contracted if he is not constantly watched. I clean out the hoof and hold it up like a dish, pour on the peroxide and let it set for a minute.

He is on pasture, so does not stand around in muck, or on hard surface. Occasional thrush is just who he is--I've never had the

peroxide not clear it up.

Another thing may be the terrible "L" word, laminitis. It can show up as tender front feet. Are her feet hot to the touch? Vets and farriers do not always recognize this early sign.

No heat and I can touch them its just her hoof pick. Ive stopped using the clorox I thought it was making things worse. Its been really dry up here and her stall is cleaned and bedded every night. Not really sure how she got it with how dry its been. No cracks in her hoof either.

No heat and I can touch them its just her hoof pick. Ive stopped using the clorox I thought it was making things worse. Its been really dry up here and her stall is cleaned and bedded every night. Not really sure how she got it with how dry its been. No cracks in her hoof either.
Thrush can sometimes be aggravated by very dry hooves. Maybe you could stand her in a mud puddle for half an hour. That might also help soften the frog so you can get your treatment to the problem better.

We have been very dry here in OK for the last couple of years and mine still gets a slight case once in while. The peroxide always clears him up quickly. The problem is his tendency to tall heels and becoming contracted.

Also, there might be an abcess forming and it hasn't shown up yet. If she will stand in a bucket with epsom salt it might be beneficial. That might explain the tenderness.

Dont' you just hate these mysterious problems??

Yes I do hate these problems but would she have an abcess in 3 hooves?? One of thems not sore 2 are pretty sore and the other ones only a little sore.

Back