thoughts on clicker training yearling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Im thinking about clicker training my new 10 month old...im not having much luck with natural horsemanship lol, and treats have really been helping so im thinking it may be a good idea for us...anyone done this with their minis? How has your luck been with it?

I've asked the same question. You don't need a clicker, just cluck. Treats aren't good, just praise and love-ins. There is a book about clicker training that you can buy that is great. Can't think of the ladies name that wrote it. I haven't had much luck with natural training either, my boy just looks at me like he's deaf, dumb and very stupid. Of course he has a very silly grin on his face also. Have fun with it, it works. My boy no longer has any food agression issues and seems to like to spend time with me more.
default_yes.gif

Be careful when you give any breed of horse treats.......they can get nippy.
default_nono.gif

With the back of your hand and the treat(s) in your fist...let the horse smell it, and then flip your hand over and give the horse the treat(s). Make sure you don't associate your hands with food......you can put the food on the ground sometimes (depending on where you are).
default_smile.png

I'm sure you already know that!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious about the nipping.

My boy is very aggressive about treats. I've gotten in the habit of giving a peppermint after grooming sessions to both my horses. Now he expects it every time. He gets nippy when looking. Now when I give him one, it's put in his food bucket. They are way too smart sometimes.

You can use treats with clicker training and not have a nipping horse but it involves training. Any and every horse starting out clicker training is going to be grabby when he/she sees treats appearing so after the horse is used to the clicker and understands the basic concept of click and treat, the first thing you want to train is not to nip and not to be grabby about treats. It's simple to do. And clicker training is not about walking around with a bunch of treats and giving your horse treats forever. It's about a journey to shape a behavior and then phase out the treats and I think that's a step lots of people never arrive at.

Also you don't have to use treats. You can use anything your horse considers a reward. I recommend before you start clicker training, you read one of Alexandra Kurland's books on clicker training horses or find a clicker trainer in your area to help get you started. Alexandra's books are especially helpful because they are full of pictures and easy to understand instructions.

I started clicker training dogs years ago, moved on to horses when I had a problem riding horse and then have just had a blast clicker training minis. It's an amazing journey so enjoy.

Just wanted to add that the pushiness with treats in the beginning and the potential of nipping is one reason why I recommend people work with an experienced clicker trainer for a while especially if they are new to clicker training horses or new to horses in general. It's always good to have some help to work through these initial issues from a trainer and it's really fun to work with someone else and have some support but if that's not possible, join the ClickRyder list on Yahoo or purchase Alexandra Kurland's books.

Back