Thoughts and prayers please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
Just begging people to keep us in your thoughts and prayers - one of my horses contracted Lepto, just when the vet thought she was over it it reappeared, we're not sure if we're going to be able to get her over this, and we're scared for the other horses. One other mare has started having eye problems. I just hope we can get everyone through this...

Thanks
default_wub.png

Hang in there - praying things will get better for you and your horses soon.

They say the cow vaccine is alright to use on horses, doesn't vaccinate against all strains but if your horses are showing signs of recurrent uveitis you may want to ask your vet about the cow vaccine. Also the horses with the eye problems should wear flymasks for protection. You can get ones specially built for it. I sold a arabian mare who injured her eye and the lady bought her this mask as vet said there was a chance she could get recurrent uveitis. Looks like she had bug eyes. Anyway after wearing the mask for a year that mare now is fine. Oh and test all your horses for lepto because it is contagious. So more than likey you have more than one horse with it. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Thankfully there are no pregnant mares. We don't know about the source, the vet was suggesting maybe with all these darn racoons the hay got infected through coon urine. Our vet doesn't believe the vaccine is actually effective used on horses, and I have heard of horses who have gotten infected despite the vaccine so we're going to stay clear of that for now. It's just such a heartbreaker, we thought we had it under control in this one mare, the vet was using a new treatement, but it's come back and she may be losing vision now.
default_unsure.png
Of course she's really high strung as it is, can't imagine how she'll act if she loses vision.

Don't give up on your horse who may go blind. I had a high strung arabian mare, she injured her eye and caused her to go blind in both eyes. I worked with her and taught her easy up when there was a step up, easy down when there was a step down and voice commands and that mare became the best riding horse I could ever ask for. I had her 12 years, she was blind for 10 of them. People could not believe she was blind until they looked at her eyes. I rode her all over. I miss that mare. I sadly had to out her down in 2003 at age 19 due to really bad heaves that she got when she was up being bred to a stallion near Oka when they had that huge forest fire. Two horses got really sick in that barn, she was one of them. We had to bottle feed her filly. You would never know that SPH Sameera Sunnphire, who you can see on my website was bottle raised.

Latest posts

Back