Those of you who stay in stalls at shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
We're in the process of getting some stall drapes for a tack stall so that I'm able to stay in my tack stall at shows that we will need to spend the night at. I have never been able to leave any of my horses unattended at a show. I've seen people feed other peoples horses because they didn't think they were getting enough, horses left loose, horses tear their faces up on water bucket handles, and weird things like a quarter horse who somehow managed to get his water bucket off the wall at a show, and tangled in his braided tail, after his owner left for the night. I guess i'm plain paranoid about things like this, and have decided it's just better for me to be there, not to mention I am on a strict budget.

Who do you ask if it is allowed to stay in tack stalls? Have you ever been to a show where you are not allowed to stay in your tack stall? Other than stall curtains and something to sleep on, is there any must haves to take with you?

I assume I should take a tarp for the floor, and either a lawn chair cot or inflatable mattress, and a sleeping bag. Some shows I wont be hauling myself to, so wont be able to store my things in a trailer, any ideas on some how to hang my garment bag of show clothes in a stall?

[SIZE=12pt]You can find clothes racks on ebay and the net[/SIZE]

Here is one site www.organize.com/folgarracclo.html

They range from 30.00 up but they sure are great to have!! You pretty much have it
default_smile.png
a tarp for the ground, cot, folding chairs, a micro fridge is nice to have. A mirror and I like a folding table (card table). I've never asked anyone. I figure you're paying for the stall
default_rolleyes.gif

Have fun
default_wink.png

Joy

I found a small aluminum cot with a mattress that folds up to about the size of a lawn chair. It is very light to carry, but quite comfortable. I put it in a garbage bag in the corner during the day so it doesn't get dusty. I use a sleeping bag. I bring a small lamp and an extension cord so I can read in bed if I want to at night before turning in. I use those "S" shaped bucket holders to hang my clothing bag up off the ground, hang my towel on so it is dry in the morning etc., and I cover anything that matters with a garbage bag to keep off the dust. I would HIGHLY recommend that you tie a tarp across the top of the stall, or at least bungee it up over your bed at night. A lot of places leave some, or even all of the lights on at night and they glare right into your face. Finally, a pair of earplugs! They dim all the bucket banging and whinnying without blocking out ALL sound. Once I put this list of essentials together, I sleep very well in the tack stall. I have never asked anyone about sleeping in the stall either. No one has ever said anything about it to me.

Cell phone, chains for stall and padlocks and preferably a dog that loves you VERY much and hates anyone else
default_wink.png
While keeping your horses safe, pelase remember to keep yourself safe. D had someone try to get into her sleeping stall the last night of Nationals a few years ago. Fortunately I had left my attack JRT with her and Orbit hitting the door full force, barking and snarling, sent the indivdual running away at TOP speed!

Ditto the earplugs! I've only slept in a stall one night at a show, and the horse beside me banged and played with his bucket ALL NIGHT LONGGGG!
default_wacko.png
Sure wish I'd had some!

Lots of excellent suggestions already, I also take along a small space heater and a fan. I have used both at shows, and at Nationals I have gone from using the heater one night to the fan the next. My heater is the plug in kind that shuts off if it gets knocked over. I also bring along my allergy meds lol it can be pretty extreme for that. I don't use earplugs because I can sleep through anything but it can be very noisy, you can end up having someone in the next stall clipping all night or just a noisy bunch of horses.
default_laugh.png

Should I bring a 10x10 or 12x12 tarp for the "roof" over my tack stall? Im thinking of getting one of those little electric heaters that oscillate, and can also be used as just a fan, so I have one less thing to pack. I guess I should maybe take an extension cord and power strip, then a little carpet or something to leave my boots on? Do the stalls usually have the solid walls, or the stall grills? I think I might get a few extra tarps to hang on the inside of my stall if there are the grill stalls, so I can save money on stall curtains.

What about one of those pop up shade tents to use as a "roof" instead of a tarp? They usually come in 10X10. I would think they would be easier to get up and down.

Also, www.sstack.com has a ton of portable tack racks. A friend I travel with always brings a corner clothing rod and they have it.

What about one of those pop up shade tents to use as a "roof" instead of a tarp? They usually come in 10X10. I would think they would be easier to get up and down.
Also, www.sstack.com has a ton of portable tack racks. A friend I travel with always brings a corner clothing rod and they have it.
I am going to throw out there that you should not use the pop up tent if you are not going to have help setting it up! A friend of mine uses one for pinto and paint shows and it takes four of us to set it up since we each have to hold a leg and then try to push the roof braces in place. It is nice once up but a royal pain to get it that way!

If you dont want to have to haul a mini fridge around with you for drinks and food a large cooler works really well too and they you dont need an extra cord or anything for it. Just make sure and pack it with lots of ice. Just a suggestion if you dont want to have to worry about hauling an appliance.

We have never asked whether we can stay in the stall and just do but there is one place I know that you arent supposed to but over 50% of the people do and we have never gotten in trouble for it but we just dont announce to the world that we will be staying there, lol. We wouldnt have to stay in our stall either if we were allowed to park on the grounds or even across the street but we have to park 4 blocks away!

I have seen people sleep in their trucks and even the horse trailer. I haven't seen anyone sleep in the stalls. I don't think I would sleep in the stalls. Horses are much too noisy at night. I too am fussy about my horses. I had a QH that could get out of any stall she was not padlocked in. But I do not sleep in the stall. Even though I know my town and I worry about my horses. But, I sleep at home. I would worry about the bad people in the world more than my horse getting hurt. I am only 5 miles from the show grounds and can be reached at any hour.

Make less noise if there is a breeze!
default_biggrin.png
It usually takes 2 maybe 3 people to put it up. If we need help, we ask - works great
default_wink.png
At Nationals some had issues with Bird Poop!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked Stall "Roofs" are good!

Well, I've slept in stalls before, but it was when I was younger and in 4H, it's been a while. Horse noises don't bother me, and Im not too scared of someone breaking in my stall.

Simple fix, from the inside wrap a lead rope around the door and latch on the inside. Sleeping in my trailer isn't an option, it has an open top on back, and there are some shows where I will be hauling with someone else, so wont have my trailer to stay in. I should point out that Im 3+ hours from most shows, and if the issue is I cant show because I cant afford a hotel for the weekend, you bet I'll sleep in a stall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I was a young girl showing Morgans part of the fun was staying in the tack stall. Even now when I take my smaller trailer I will sleep in a stall. Noise doesn't bother me I can sleep through anything. Motels have gotten so expensive for the short amount of time you spend there. My theory is that I can live in any conditions for a couple of days. You always go home to the comforts you enjoy there. I would not hesitate to sleep in a stall. I have even slept in my truck if need be. I think you would be surprised at just how many people sleep in a stall at the shows.

Arlene

Latest posts

Back