Those of you who drive, especially CDE...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Sera

Reaction score
from a little place in the South to Mid Michigan
I will be new to driving and my future goal is CDE. The horse (35" 8 yr old mare) I have recently purchased is trained to drive and has driven in breed shows, trails driving , etc...

I will be the one taking lessons! I really like the Pacific Smart Cart, not only for it's look, but for all the adjustments it offers. I have several horses that I hope to get driving in the future if things go as planned and this cart would appear to meet my needs and be a good investment. I am interested in hearing from those of you who may have one or who know of someone who does and what they feel about the cart...pros, cons, advice, why, etc ....

Thanks in advance for help and replies!
default_saludando.gif

We got our first Smart Cart just over a year ago and really like it; in fact we like it so well we've got our 2nd one on order (hopefully it will be shipped next week)--so, we can each have one to drive, rather than having to fight over the one with the loser driving the EE cart!
default_biggrin.png

Our horses range in size from 33" to 38", with our one & only ASPC pony being 40" measured as a Mini, and the Smart Cart fits them all. I find the cart very comfortable, and it feels much more secure to ride in than the little EE. I commented one day that with the Smart Cart I feel I can drive as fast as the horse can go...with the EE, I'm not so sure, as rough ground can make things a little hairy if you're going a good speed; I start to think the cart's going to fly apart or I'm going to fly out of it! With the Smart Cart, I don't have those concerns!

Our first cart was the standard model. This new one was ordered with the curved seat back (somehow it gives the cart a more classy appearance I think) and the (new) wider axle. I did not get the 30" wheels though--Bill suggested those were for people driving somewhat bigger ponies. Since ours are 38" and under except for the pony we felt the 26" wheels would be more appropriate. I believe those same wheels will be okay for the Shetland as well. The 30" wheels would look too big with our smallest horses I'm afraid.

In the spring I may buy the patine dash to have on hand for when we want to use the cart for showing. That option does definitely fancy up the cart for showing or presentation.

Oh, did I mention that we really do like this cart??
default_laugh.png

THE BEST!!!! I adore mine, it will never be sold. I have every option, and enjoy them all. :D

Here are some photos of Ally and I at the last driving trial, in this set we have the patine dash, the brush guards, marathon shafts, curved backrest, and the new wedge seat. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wedge!

You can see our proofs gallery here:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....&image_id=0

I was wondering who to contact about CDE especially in OK

let me know please

I knew there was a reason I was STUCK on this cart! I had decided already to get the marathon shafts, I like the look of the curved backrest but was not sure about the wedge seat until now. Is that something you use just during the marathons for what looks like extra security/support, etc... or what? Please explain the full function of that seat as it looks nice. I like the idea of the wider axle and I do know what purpose that serves. I suppose I can wait on that until I get into the sport more down the road, or would you see the overall benefit of it now for everday use?

Thanks again for getting me closer to ordering! By the way, did you deal direct with Pacific Carriage or have to contact a dealer? Not sure of what the benefits of either would be other than shipping closest to me I suppose. ?????? Looking for direction on this again .... thanks!

Clickmini and all of you that post pics of CDE .... I look at them and can't stand it!!!!! That looks like such a blast! I can't wait to get started and hope I'll have pics like that of my own to share in the future! Thanks for those and keep them coming .... very inspiring and a BIG motivation!

Well, I got the wider axle even though I'm not doing CDE--it just seemed like a good thing to have, even for around home driving.

I've dealt directly with Pacific Carriage; last year I did initially go through the local dealer, but then he pointed out that if I deal directly with Pacific I pay only the GST, not the provincial sales tax--and so to save me that 7% tax I just dealt directly with the company. This time I just went directly to the company. Whether you go through a dealer or deal directly with Pacific, your cart will be shipped directly to you from British Columbia. Once you put your order in & pay your deposit your cart should ship in 2-3 weeks, or at least that is the time frame I was given when I ordered just over 2 weeks ago. I'm expecting to hear early next week that mine is on its way.

I LOVE MINE! You will hear a lot of people say its too heavy for smaller minis, mine is 32 1/4in. she doesnt seem to have a problem at all. I only got the curved back rest for now, I would like to order the pantine dash down the road. I got mine from a dealer, which was nice because he put it togeather for me all I had to do was make the adjustments to fit Abby. Kathy

I am happy to read this thread. At this time, I do not have a driving horse. I regret selling her, she was great... but I have an almost three year old colt that moves like a dream and his sire is HOF in driving, and i think Phantom got his Daddy's driving genes. He is almost 32" right now.

I was never comfortable in an EE cart, always felt like I could get bumped out. I really like the looks of the Pacific cart, and with that wedge, I think that will solve the problem. I plan to save up for a Pacific cart.... they sure are pricey though.

Robin

Robin, they are totally worth it. They are so well and solidly built, you will never regret buying it. To answer a question above, the wedge is very easy to put on and take off. I used it in all phases, because I felt it dramatically helped my driving posture and made me feel very secure. I must say that I drove the cart without the wedge for the past year and a half (they hadn't developed them at that point) with no trouble. If you are in training level, no problem at all. You will not be doing things at speed anyway. When you move up to prelim and above, I think it becomes a little more important.

People who are interested in Combined Driving, JOIN THE AMERICAN DRIVING SOCIETY!!! You will learn about local clubs, activities, clinics, etc. You should also join the CD-L mailing list. We are SO spoiled up here in the Pacific Northwest, there is acceptance of VSEs (Very Small Equines) in competition, and our numbers are growing dramatically. It's my understanding it is not necessarily like that in other parts of the country, so you may have to do some campaigning and promotion. You KNOW our minis sell themselves when they get out there! It is really important to take part in local driving clubs and actively support through memberships.

Links:

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org

http://www.carriagedriving.net (to subscribe to CD-L)

default_laugh.png

hahler said:
I was wondering who to contact about CDE especially in OK let me know please
I think if I recall correctly the Cowboy Country CDE is held in OK, you might want to google that as well as looking for clubs in your area through the ADS website Amy provided.
default_smile.png

K Sera said:
I knew there was a reason I was STUCK on this cart! I had decided already to get the marathon shafts, I like the look of the curved backrest but was not sure about the wedge seat until now. Is that something you use just during the marathons for what looks like extra security/support, etc... or what? Please explain the full function of that seat as it looks nice.
Even at Training Level I think from personal experience a wedge seat could be useful. Too many times I've been doing a dressage test or cones course and a bump at the wrong moment dislodged me, leaving me scrambling to get back in a balanced posture while still driving like nothing happened. Not fun!
default_wacko.png
The marathon shafts are great and I would recommend them but if you haven't used them before you should be aware that unless you have "quick release tugs" you'll have to completely open your tug loops every time you want to put to or must leave them on the cart. It's sort of a pain!
default_rolleyes.gif
Quick-releases are only available in stainless steel but if you're lucky enough NOT to have a brass harness you can simply buy the quick-releases from Janie at Chimacum Tack and put them on your old harness. They aren't that expensive and solve the problem neatly. As for the wider axle, if you're even considering it I'd go ahead and get it now. The more stability you have, the better, and that certainly goes for day-to-day driving too!

K Sera said:
Clickmini and all of you that post pics of CDE .... I look at them and can't stand it!!!!! That looks like such a blast! I can't wait to get started and hope I'll have pics like that of my own to share in the future! Thanks for those and keep them coming .... very inspiring and a BIG motivation!
Hehehe, you'll be glad to know then that I'm finally finishing the writeup of the last two CDE's, a breed show, and the driving trial Amy was at so I can FINALLY post pictures of them without spoiling any surprises. I've filled two separate albums with photos this year so when I finally get them online you'll probably get sick of seeing us!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

I spoke with Pacific Carriage this morning and talked about all these things .... He is going to email me some pics and info on shipping costs, etc... I have decided that for sure I want the longer axle and I can see now how the wedge seat would really help. He explained to me how easy it was to put on and take off.

Leia ... Since you brought up the harness topic .... I will be buying a harness also, so ... I would really appreciate any direction you can give me on a harness that would be best for my Smart Cart with marathon shafts. I have nothing and am starting fresh with absolutely no tack for driving whatsoever, so I want to get the right equipment and quality, the 1st time around!

Before my cart and harness arrive, I will be taking lessons with the trainers equipment.

K Sera said:
Leia ... Since you brought up the harness topic .... I will be buying a harness also, so ... I would really appreciate any direction you can give me on a harness that would be best for my Smart Cart with marathon shafts. I have nothing and am starting fresh with absolutely no tack for driving whatsoever, so I want to get the right equipment and quality, the 1st time around!
If you're going for the best stuff the first time around I'd suggest the Chimacum/Camptown Sport Harness, no question. That's what Amy's mare is wearing in those pictures and is what Kody uses too. I purchased mine originally from Camptown and Marjean did a great job for me but I've since switched back to Janie at Chimacum Tack who uses the same manufacturer and have been equally satisfied. There are minute differences between the two brands but you'd only notice if you had both in your hands!
default_wink.png
Get the stainless steel (I don't care WHAT color your horse is, brass is NOT WORTH IT!!
default_frusty.gif
*LOL*) with leather lining, Freedom Collar, sliding backband and quick release tugs. Get a thin pad for the saddle (I like the Camptown Pillow Pads) and you'll be as set as you can be! It's easy to clean, wears like iron, is soft for the horse, stays flexible in the cold and looks good to boot.
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

I can not tell you how this thread has me so PSYCHED!!!!

I have been torn over what to do... sell horses and get back into riding? I didn't really want to leave my minis behind.... I guess I really have just missed driving so much! I never missed riding when I drove.

As for my wish to buy another mare, I have decided to put that on hold, sell my sale horses , train my stallion and buy this cart.

Less horses equals more time( and money) for me to have fun. I will still have 3 mares if I want a baby, and my stallion won't just stand there and just be a "dna donar". I guess I have just been mucking and paying feed and vet bills and wanting to have some FUN, and I think this might be the way!

May I ask, is this cart appropriate for local showing? I would think so.

Thanks for this thread and making me realize what it is I really need!!

Robin

ps... besides a cart doesn't eat!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited about the cart and the whole driving experience and CDE. The only thing that would make things perfect would be the availability of events and more participation like ya'll have up north! I'm lucky to be so close to East Texas at least! There is some action over there and seems to be growing from what I have heard.
default_thumbup.gif

TOTALLY agree with Leia (sp?) on the harness
default_smile.png
I LOOOOOOVE mine
default_smile.png

Jessi

Hey Robin! You go girl! I feel the same way...there is just nothing like the thrill of competition and driving really floats my boat!
default_laugh.png

I also strongly endorse the Camptown Harness. I have bought three. One I sold because I am totally sick of polishing brass!!! Got stainless in its place. I also purchased the freedom collar (that I recommend very highly!), quick release tugs, sliding backbands. I am very pleased with the quality of the Camptown Harnesses.

With the Smart Cart and Camptown Harness, there will be NO stopping you! :D

Would like to also say that the Smart Cart with Patine Dash and the regular shafts is just fine for Country Pleasure classes. We have some people up here who do compete in theirs. It is a very beautiful, high-quality cart. I would not recommend it for Single Pleasure however. The people who have used it from up here have done very well in the shows.

I don't have the experience to talk intricate cart/harness details like the others. But I knew when I bought a harness I wanted it to be THE ONE that was comfortable for my boys and made to last years. At Leia's recommendation I went with the basic Chimacum sport harness. I have had a little trouble getting things to fit Billy, the out of shape gelding with the conformation resembling that of a yoga ball. But Janie at Chimacum has been AMAZING with her customer service. She has gone above and beyond to swap out parts and pieces that will not only fit 30" round Billy, but also adjust to fit 34" Hondo. Someday I will have both boys driving and will order a second harness, but for now I needed one that would fit both. When the time comes to get that second one, I will definitely order from Chimacum.

It is so nice to be able to benefit from all the knowledge and advice on this forum! It's because of everyone's experience that the rest of us can be spared those trial and errors and get right to those things that work, don't work, and why and then we can make a more educated choice about things, especially those of us who are just starting out! Thanks again!

default_risa8.gif
Placed my order for my Smart Cart today with marathon shafts, curved backrest and longer axle to start. Of course, I had to get the stand and cover! Hopefully in about 4 weeks or so I'll be sitting in it .... driving, I hope!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back