This really bothers me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihaven

Reaction score
My son in laws Dad had a neighbor that had a pregnant beagle . She told him she could not keep her and was taking her to the Humane Society. He did not really think she would but later that day, he found out she HAD taken her.

He was upset and was telling my son in law and daughter about this the next morning. so they decided to go get her, let her have the pups and then get her spayed.

Well........here is the bad part:

Our local Humane( I used this word begrudgingly!) Society has a policy that no pregnant dog can be adopted!!!! They are automatically on the "kill" list.

So my son in law staged a sit -in :aktion033: :aktion033: inside the dog's cage until the previous owner could come and re-claim her.

It does have a happy ending, but I was wondering if this is a wide spread policy or just here. WHY WHY WHY

There are people that would foster in these situations until pups are adoptable.

She is now living with my son in law and daughter and is a wonderful, well mannered, house broke pet.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

WOW, I wonder if the dogs previous owner knew the policy when they dropped her off? I'm sure some people (not all, but some) would change their mind about dropping off a pregnant dog if they knew that not even an attepmt would be made at adopting it out. I still belive there are many people out there who would NOT drop their dog off at a shelter unless they honestly believed it would find a better home. I wonder if the shelter bothers to tell people this "little tidbit" of info when a pregnant dog comes in. :no: Obviously some people still wouldn't care, but I believe some would and would instead find another shelter or adopt the dog out themselves.

I really don't think she knew this or she would have tried finding her a home herself!!! And she did go get her after finding out.

I CANNOT believe that the shelter did not tell her when she brought the dog in! Doesn't sound right.

Glad it ended well for the little momma, though.

MA

I believe it. Most shelters are so over-burdened in this country, it's unreal. Whelping an unwanted bitch and raising an unwanted litter is a full time JOB that costs lots of time and money and it's not always easy to find a volunteer to take on that responsibility. Costly c-sections are a very real possibility as are infections, disease, etc. even with the best of care, but I guess everyone thinks the shelters should pay for that and with what money?

These people are professionals, they know the heart breaking statistics and have to make some difficult decisions on a daily basis. Obviously this was not someone's beloved pet or it would have never been surrendered. It for sure didn't arrive with papers and health testing, was not spayed as it should have been and now it's carrying more unwanted dogs that if whelped the shelter would have had to pay to house, feed, vaccinate and alter before finding them new homes. That's right and IF THOSE PUPPIES ARE NOT ALTERED BEFORE FINDING NEW HOMES THE LIKELYHOOD OF THIS SICK CYCLE CONTINUING IS EXTREMELLY HIGH. I guess your son-in-law is going to pay for everything now?

This is not in any way a shelter problem. This is a bad owner problem. People really need to get a clue that when they drop Fluffy or Spike off at the shelter, pound or humane society that it's usually NOT a happy ending. They shouldn't have to be told. minihaven, you said you say "humane" society begrudgingly but what they do is ultimately more HUMANE than the alternative!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is a standard policy not to adopt out pregnant dogs but MOST shelters will arrange for the dog to go into foster care until the pups are weaned and the dog can be adopted.

I fostered for years!

I can definately understand your feelings but if there is no one to foster they have no choice
default_sad.png

Adopting out a dog who is pregnant is not ideal as a rule, your situation was different.

Since there is probably a real need and you seem like a kind, caring person why don't you start a foster program with this shelter or just offer to foster, there is a real need for this
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: The humane society is not at fault here, the owner is. Who allows there dog to get pregnant and then decides to disgard her at the pound, that is disgraceful and a horrible way to treat your pet....shame on her :no: :no:

It is her responsibility to find out what is going to happen to her 'pet' when she dumps her at a shelter.

People never cease to amaze me, Thank goodness this dog had a kind neighbour looking out for her
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

I agree that the neighbor did the wrong thing:

Let the dog get pregnant

Not have her spayed to begin with

Dumping her at the pound

Not asking enough questions

My problem with the pound is that they were NOT going to let her be adopted...........period!The fact that my son in law knew the dog, knew she was pregnant and was still willing to take that on and was treated very unkind by the staff is where I have issues.

Yes it does take a lot to run a facility but special circumstances do arise.

And BTW she was up to date on ALL vacs and is heart worm negative! My son in law and daughter will take care of any other expenses involved.

I have fostered MANY dogs, cats and horses and would be more than willing to do it again.

Hey, I hear ya
default_smile.png

I volunteered at a shelter for 6 years and they would not adopt a neutered cat to me because one of my dogs was not spayed :eek:
default_wacko.png
:

I had to write to the director
default_wacko.png
: and plead my case for a 6 year old cat that was out of time at the shelter
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

I am glad she is happy and safe now!

I didn't mean vaccinations, deworming and heartworm, but it's great that she's all up-to-date. I'm guessing the reason your humane society didn't want to adopt this dog out to your son-in-law is because they know from experience that he's most likely not going to alter all of the puppies before they go to their new homes, NOW IS HE? I think I paid upwards of $100. for each early spay/neuter per pup so that'll be at least $500. just for that if he is (assuming she has an average litter of about five pups). It's going to cost plenty just to feed, vaccinate and deworm them all, let alone pay to alter the dam and for anything else that might crop up. Honestly, I can't believe they even let him have her. It's gut-wrenching but I have a feeling that these pups won't be altered before leaving for their new homes and some of them will very likely end up producing even MORE unwanted pets not too long from now... :smileypuke: and the sick cycle continues.

This really doesn't surprise me...

Having fostered many homeless dogs and having served on the BOD of a no-kill shelter, I respect all shelters for what they do...but I was also terribly saddened to learn of the attitudes and politics behind some groups, including a large, local chapter of the Humane Society.

They are far from no-kill, yet claim to be so in order to apply for grants from foundations that support no-kill shelters.

They are downright predatory in eliminating their competition for funding, instead of working together to support the cause.

They refuse to tell people dropping off animals about local no-kill shelters, even when the pet in question will be immediately euthanized.

They encourage local animal control agencies to restrict small shelters to the point of shutting them down. They tried to do this with the group I worked with, saying they should shelter no more than 10 cats (despite having a large, wonderful space), then offered to help by euthanizing all the "extra" cats.

I want to support all groups that help animals, but I find it difficult to support those that play such games.

Back