This just made me furious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen some behaviour that was "tasteless" at even the small fairs.

When you have a group of 4H young people that you are trying to introduce to the world of showing and see older adults acting in this manner it sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

If the 4H people were displaying these types of behaviours I would have asked them to wait at the trailer or sit with their parents if they were in attendance.

Very sad, and no class in my opinion.

I feel sorry for "Number 11"

I really like the way AMHR does it over the way AMHA does. I would hate to be that 11th person waiting to see if I got 1st or the gate. On the other hand I've been the 11,12th one waiting to hear if I even placed at all. It's more like being "let down easy". You're hopes just take the escalator down instead of falling down the empty elevator shaft!

When I trained, I always taught my people (adults and youth alike) that it is as much as, or more, important to be a gracious winner as it is to be a gracious loser.

Jean

As always Riverwood, well said.
default_saludando.gif

Talk about counting your chickens, I would have loved to see that backfire and watch that trainer eat some humble pie. Looks like he needs to add some modesty to his feed program.

I admit I too like the way AMHR does it. The way I look at it, I would prefer to be absolutely thrilled when my number is called, rather than maybe just a wee bit disappointed that I didn't place higher. And of course, it avoids the unsportsmanlike behavior that got this thread started.

One year at nationals I was watching a class and they had gotten down to Champion and Reserve and had 3 horses in the ring. T his was back when they did 2 classes - first class to name Top Ten, and 2nd class to place the top ten. The announcer stopped and remarked - I have 3 horses in the ring, and only 2 placings left. Hmmm. . . He reviewed his card, and the one horse had placed 7th or 8th ish, and the announcer had missed him. All 3 handlers shook hands, and the Champion and reserve champion handlers applauded the other handler as he left the ring. I think that was very classy.

I also remember the absolute shock on John Eberths face when he won with Echo. He absolutely did not "foresee" his win! Very classy again

I've always heard people say that the AMHA shows are too uptight and stuffy. I found it refreshing to have people whoop and holler and show their support for their friends and colleagues. There were many groups throughout the stands that were showing their support for their friends and family. If they were overly excited why discourage it? If it's the class I'm thinking of, the 11th place horse had been ill and had fallen apart prior to the show. The owner showed the horse and expected to get the gate. They came and sat with me afterward and they were excited for the winner and laughed about how their horse showed.

Anyone that has to make that walk alone is not happy - I wouldn't be either, but don't discredit the winner. Should they read this it will completely ruin all the excitement they have for their win. How very sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always heard people say that the AMHA shows are too uptight and stuffy. I found it refreshing to have people whoop and holler and show their support for their friends and colleagues. There were many groups throughout the stands that were showing their support for their friends and family. If they were overly excited why discourage it? If it's the class I'm thinking of, the 11th place horse had been ill and had fallen apart prior to the show. The owner showed the horse and expected to get the gate. They came and sat with me afterward and they were excited for the winner and laughed about how their horse showed.
Anyone that has to make that walk alone is not happy - I wouldn't be either, but don't discredit the winner. Should they read this it will completely ruin all the excitement they have for their win. How very sad.

Thanks for the other point of view... that is something that needs to be considered as well. Many may be feeling sorry for the 11th place handler who was not upset in any way...

I actually prefer doing the placings from the bottom up - that is the way the shows I have announced at prefer it to go - and it always lends a bit more suspense to the ribbons. Starting with 1st and going down just seems to make things a bit anti-climatic somehow...

The only example of really bad sportsmanship I saw in the mini show ring was at AMHA Nationals about 8 (?) years ago. It was the evening show - back then the Top Ten were given their plaques in the afternoon (not in any specific order) and then were called back for the evening class to be judged.... it made the evening show more exciting - more special. To me, anyway. And it eliminated the scenario of leaving that 11th or 12th horse left standing out there as the awards were announced. .

Anyway - the class was being placed.... 10th, 9th, ... all getting much applause... and then 8th (it may have been 7th - my memory may be fuzzy after all these years). The trainer holding the lead shank of that red & white pinto stallion was furious. He put on a fine example of being a jerk... stomped over to the presenters, started to wave away the ribbon - then snatched it from them - and then instead of going into the line as directed by the ring steward, he turned and started to LEAVE. There was an audible gasp from the audience - you could have heard a pin drop. The trainer spun on his heels and stormed back to his place in line as the rest of the placings were called to 3rd. Then the presentations for Reserve and Grand. During all that, the trainer stood there with his arms crossed, glaring at the ground. No applause for the other horses, no hand shakes for the other exhibitors. Then the announcer congratulated the Top Ten horses again and sent them out to our applause - at which point said trainer threw that lovely ribbon in the dirt and dragged his horse outta there. I was at the gate... waiting with a horse for the next class - and the stuff that trainer was saying as he plowed through the crowd in a fury was jaw-dropping.
default_new_shocked.gif

Hmmm. . . He reviewed his card, and the one horse had placed 7th or 8th ish, and the announcer had missed him. All 3 handlers shook hands, and the Champion and reserve champion handlers applauded the other handler as he left the ring. I think that was very classy.
Yes, it was...
default_yes.gif

My point wasn't about this class which I don't know a thing about but showing in general.

Well said, Heather!!!!

I have made that long walk out of the World ring empty handed many, many times, but I still have complete and utmost respect for those who did place, and for the people who have helped get them there. I took that walk at Worlds in a class of 12 or 13 with my horse. Everyone knew who the winner was and had started cheering for it before they were announced. I have not lost respect for that trainer or for the people cheering, and walked out with my head held high. Of course I was dissapointed, but I know that the better horses beat me, and it made me work that much harder. I understood that they did not intend to show disrespect to the ones remaining on the rail, but sharing the excitement of their 1st world win. There are always 2 sides to every story.

I think it is perfectly fine to be happy about a fantatsic placing, but do it once your name is announced, just don't assume. Yes I am sure that 11th person felt bad as it is but when people already know they beat you I think makes it even more tougher.

i was told of this post amd just had to speak to it.. I agree with Heathers post and fell it is so sad to take three pages to slam someone and run someones hard work down.The young man who won that class worked his --- off to get it.I saw him work his horse, clipp wash and walk around in circles all day getting ready for the class.When his horse came in the class it was clear he was on and was the sharpest animal in that calss on that day.The horse who was 11th was clear the 11th horse.The chears given where given for 10th place and all the way to reserve to only give excitement to the class( it is a show folks)...When this young man got to this spot there where tears from me and the entire group who love him and respect all his hard work.The people doing all the bashing and sour grapes just dont know the entire story.If anyone knows how to loose it is me, if any one knows how to win it ME.I have also worked my === off for 20 years to get to this stage of my life and I feel the hate from people all the time, but this is why I worked so hard to be able to feel this excitement.I wouldnt take one thing back from that night or take anything away from that wonderful young man who won his class.He has put in his dues and it was his night..I am SOOOO proud of him and his hard work and am not assamed to say it was us who was screaming our heads off for him and we where the ones there to cry and hug him for it......s. lee crutchfield
default_sad.png

i was told of this post amd just had to speak to it.. I agree with Heathers post and fell it is so sad to take three pages to slam someone and run someones hard work down.The young man who won that class worked his --- off to get it.I saw him work his horse, clipp wash and walk around in circles all day getting ready for the class.When his horse came in the class it was clear he was on and was the sharpest animal in that calss on that day.The horse who was 11th was clear the 11th horse.The chears given where given for 10th place and all the way to reserve to only give excitement to the class( it is a show folks)...When this young man got to this spot there where tears from me and the entire group who love him and respect all his hard work.The people doing all the bashing and sour grapes just dont know the entire story.If anyone knows how to loose it is me, if any one knows how to win it ME.I have also worked my === off for 20 years to get to this stage of my life and I feel the hate from people all the time, but this is why I worked so hard to be able to feel this excitement.I wouldnt take one thing back from that night or take anything away from that wonderful young man who won his class.He has put in his dues and it was his night..I am SOOOO proud of him and his hard work and am not assamed to say it was us who was screaming our heads off for him and we where the ones there to cry and hug him for it......s. lee crutchfield
default_sad.png
Thanks Lee. Please congratulate him for me. I love his horse. Can't wait to see him in the Open class.

It's so easy for people to jump on these posts and join in with no knowledge of the other side. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they have responded to posts like this and they have regreted it once they knew the whole story.

It's a shame that this one particular class had to be singled out from the many in the show that were so similar. I try to applaud for every winner because I appreciate their efforts. Sometimes I'm distracted reading my program or chatting with someone and I miss one or two people. And no, I don't holler for everyone in every class - but I do holler for those I know even when I'm the only one hollering or applauding. I will continue to show my support.

As far as waiting until your name is announced to applaud - we were applauding for everyone throughout the placings. Did we applaud louder for our family member?? - you bet we did...just as everyone else does for their friends and family. Our family unit just happened to be very large for that class.

I prefer the way that AMHA places. The suspense and build up is exciting. I like the recognition of the top 10 that are lined up and remain in the ring as well. I feel badly for those that don't place, but it's all part of showing. Been there - done that.

I don't think anyone was saying that this guy didin't deserve to win or that people should not have applauded for him. The point was that he should have waited to hear his name called before he began his celebration.

again i slept on this all night and am up early to go try to win myself in the show, but wanted to post and say, people read the news watch the news and see how bad our country is in and think about saying how silly all this complaining is about who does what at a horse show..Its about fun and its about fun in the way you ENJOY your horses and family.Dont use forums here to just bash people and complain how people express there love for there family and friends.If the shoe was on your foot and it was your best friend winning a special moment in time YOU would be jumping up, crying and whatever at WHATEVER moment you felt it just as we did, before the name was called, after, in the middle or where ever..lets all get a life.... support our country our friends, and the entire human race..... again i am proud of you buddy keep up the hard work be proud of who you are and what you did....lee

also i want to say to all who read this craqzy crap here, the 11 th horse you all say awww i feel so sorry for that person...He is our client also someone we all ALSO LOVE, sceamed for all day and supported all day.....He was with our group after that class and all during the day our entire group new he was not going to win.. Like i said it was our family thing with our group and all the post saying negative things on my caracter and how we celebrate need to know the ENTIRE story.. I would never try to hurt anyone or make them feel left out.. so again please read this the 11 th horse was our buddy also and we love him TOO... his horse just wasnt on that day but he is still our buddy and we love him just as much....lee

Everyone is different and that's what makes the "world go 'round", so I know there are "winners" out there who believe that they should "flaunt their prowess".

There are also some of us who may feel that the more you show and the harder you work, should also be a good reason to also show people your class and professionalism, because you are a professional!.

You have worked hard, you have done everything you could, to be a winner, and you have the horse to go along with it, so be gracious with your win and that's when we see "the class".

There would be less people showing their emotions against the winner when you see a winner who was worthy of the win and who was also most gracious.

At the Olympics there was a runner who was "flaunting" his prowess and there were a lot of negative comments there as well. I believe even the Olympic Body had something to say.

But you are right when you say there are WAYYYYYY bigger problems in the world than how to win a horse show
default_wink.png

Guys,

You don't go to a horse show expecting or hoping to lose -- we all go there to win, but the reality is -- if the class is large enough SOMEONE ISN"T GOING TO PLACE. Sure, we all feel bad for those that don't, but I truly believe that most of us who show - especially at the National/World level - know that it takes a lot of hard work, a horse that is truly ON from the MOMENT IT ENTERS the ring until the placings are called to actually win. If you horse is off, or if YOU are off, it is easily noticed -- after all people it is a SHOW -- the horse is supposed to be at it's pinnacle of perfection in order to win. It takes a lot of guts, hard work and determination to play in this game -- that said, it also take a certain amount of inner fortitude because sometimes with all that hard work, you still walk out of the gate without a ribbon -- I have been there waaaay too many times to count.

One of the things that has drawn me to miniatures in the first place is the OVERALL overwhelming amount of support from pretty much all the people who show - trainers included. It is rare to find a trainer who isn't pleasant and appreciative of every other competitor in the class - yes, every once in awhile there is a "bad apple", but thankfully not many.

Let's remember the reason we are all doing this -- it is supposed to be fun, I have been in the stands many, many times and have cheered from last to first, and first to last -- and then cheered for all those that have worked so hard, only to leave without a ribbon - it is their right, & it is my job as witness to appreciate all their hard work -- no matter what. Yes, it is really crappy to only have 10 placings in an 11 horse class, but that is a horse show. As Lee mentioned, the fellow who did leave without a ribbon is also "family" to him, he was not kicked aside, he was warmly embraced by his "show family" and I am sure still felt very proud of the job he had done -- and I am sure was just as happy as the rest of the "show family" for the fellow that won.

Again, it is not world peace - it is a horse show, and perhaps if EVERYONE in the stands CHEERED FOR EVERY PLACING rather than singling out their favorites it would not seem to some that certain individuals are being singled out -- as I said, as a witness, I feel it is my JOB to applaud the hard work of those who have enough guts to get out there and show, so that is what I do, for each and every person in the class, maybe we could all add that to our "reason for being there" and join in.

I don't think anyone was saying that this guy didin't deserve to win or that people should not have applauded for him. The point was that he should have waited to hear his name called before he began his celebration.
The young winner of this class has read this post and his bubble of excitement - of all his years of working for this moment, have burst and he feels badly because of all the controversy surrounding his acheivement. This is a horse he does on his own - no trainer - just him. He has worked his butt off and never made it this far. It was a huge night for him, and for those that had encouraged him that he could do it.

What no one understands is that as the number of unplaced people in the class dwindled, our excitement for him - that he had made it that far - grew. We were not assuming that he had won, we were glad that he was still in there waiting. And as Lee had stated, the 11th horse was also a client and friend and the owner had already told us that he felt the horse would not place. He almost didn't allow him to show, but he felt he was there and might as well try. We knew what the odds were and we were keeping our person upbeat and encouraged. It's gone on throughout the show with groups other than ours yet this one had to be singled out and posted about. Nice job.....
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back