This just made me furious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I didn't post about this yesterday because I thought I was just too caught up in the moment and was over-reacting. But it still infuriates me today.

Folks...where there are 11 horses in the class and they've announced 10th place through Reserve, you DO NOT celebrate and start high-fiving people in the stands until the win is announced! How freaking rude, unprofessional, inconsiderate, self-centered and just plain rude is that?!
default_thumbdown.gif

Mark another trainer on my "never to work with" list. Just pure, plain and simple poor sportsmanship.

And don't give me some crap about "special circumstances" and how special the win was. There is no justification for being so self-centered.

Wow. That must have been painful for that 11th handler.
default_no.gif

I agree with you.

I have thought the same thing for years. There have been some very very big farms that are held in high regard that I lost respect for, by doing the same thing.

I know they probably know better than I do who is likely to win but you are right. It is just plain rude. And very poor sportsmanship.

But it happens every year and most of the time it is the same people.

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Ever.

Think of the message that sends to our youth. Is this the type of sportsmanship you want emulated?

Im confused...they had just announced 10th place and the 10th place horse was high fiving bc they got 10th and not the other person?

Just trying to make sense of it as the post was over my head
default_wacko.png

Think of the message that sends to our youth. Is this the type of sportsmanship you want emulated?
Exactly! There were several "kids" (still way old enough to know better) who were whooping and hollering before the win was announced, but I was most disappointed with the trainer. I feel the trainer should set the example. To be fair, there were a couple of adults sitting with this group and they sat on their hands until it was official.

You know, these are people that I had previously respected. They've been bashed before for things that seemed to me to be unfair, but now I'm wondering if some of those other things were actually true. Based on what I saw yesterday I will no longer hold this trainer in the same regard as I previously did. Winning all the time is great, but at what cost to your reputation?

Bad karma sucks. It will catch up with you.

On the other hand, I was in the ring and waiting on the rail for the results (it was an ammy class) and I was standing next to a new handler who was with a trainer. Her trainer was in the stands, hanging over the rail talking to her. She had a nice horse and they were getting down to the last few placings and I overheard him say to her "if you win, enjoy it, if you get the gate you walk out with your head high and a smile on your face." That is the type of example I'd hope a trainer would be offering.

Im confused...they had just announced 10th place and the 10th place horse was high fiving bc they got 10th and not the other person?
default_wacko.png
In AHMA classes they announce from the bottom up. So there were 11 total entries in the class and they had already placed (announced) placings 10 through Reserve World Champion. So all that's left are 2 horses - one is getting the gate and the other is going to be named Champion. So when the Reserve was announced, the people supporting the eventual Champion horse starting hollering and high-fiving, screaming, whistling, just making a big scene in general. All this while the actual winner hasn't even been announced. It's just the "couldn't possibly be that ugly horse that wins so it must be my fantastic one" mentality that really ticked me off. It would have been much more gracious to stand there politely and wait for the announcement and then have a celebration.

Maybe it's just me. But this just really ticked me off to the point that I really had to talk myself into not saying something right then and there. It's still got me boiling. It wouldn't do me any good to say anything as this trainer is also a judge, but dang it, everybodies poop stinks!!! Ugh! Again, maybe it's just me.

I agree the people should have more respect and I doubt I would of been able to keep my mouth shut!!
default_wacko.png
I tend to speak first and worry about consequences later!! The only positve thing is maybe someone will see this and mention it!! Believe me If I were there I would be talking very loudly about how good sportmanship is sorely lacking in some people!!
default_smile.png

No it isn't just you. Unfortunately it's just another example of the poor sportsmanship that seems to thrive everywhere. What a shame that people can't have more compassion for others.
default_no.gif

It has always bothered me that......just BEFORE they announce that last place at a show....everyone just starts walking towards the gate.....and that last place person has to accept the ribbon amongst a bunch of people that well.....half of them are already out the gate and could care less. Wonder how many people that are moving about and walking out andd talking actually hear who won?

What happened to being polite? I mean when the national antham is playing do you get to the last few words , know your close to the end and turn around and walk out? That is a crude example I know.

I think everyone should stay put and NOT MOVE until that last person has accepted that ribbon and has been shown some respect...Maybe that is too much to ask for?

Remember that next time your in the show ring..treat others as you would like to be treated...is my way of thinking.

A person works hard and long to get that far..to a national level, or any show for that matter.....should be proud to make top ten, would be fun for them to know that at least the crowd and others from their class know that you placed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just me. But this just really ticked me off to the point that I really had to talk myself into not saying something right then and there. It's still got me boiling. It wouldn't do me any good to say anything as this trainer is also a judge, but dang it, everybodies poop stinks!!! Ugh! Again, maybe it's just me.
No, it's not just you. I have been the 11th in the class, (knowing by the 3rd or so placing I was getting the gate) and I felt it was really bad sportsmanship. I have also been the winner in such a class, and we NEVER celebrate until I actually hear my horses name. I really hate the 11 horse class.....I always hope for either 10 or at least 12 or 13..........

Sue

I actually saw this backfire once at a smaller show. Someone started celebrating when it got down to 2 left, and guess what - THEY were the ones that got the gate!!! Something to think about....

Parmela, I agree! Very tasteless as well as an abundance of NO CLASS! Sure people know when they have won sometimes, but you wait until your number is announced. It's called TACT! That would just embarrass they heck out of me if I was the owners.

Maybe someone should propose for a rule change so it changes to like AMHR 1st-10th?

I was excited when Charming took 3rd at Nationals behind 2 big trainers and I yelled (and immediately clamped my mouth because they weren't done placing ) but I had a big grin HOWEVER but I have been on the other end with no ribbon and understand totally.

targetsmom, I have seen that as well.....2 left........the person thinking they won actually started walking up to get their award.....had hand out to take their award BEFORE they even announced the winner...and they announced the other person as the winner. I don't think I have seen anyone turn that shade of red. They became upset. Seems to me if I remember correctly, they took that 2nd place and tossed it in the dirt after they walked out of the gate......yep in front of everyone. AND this person was a trainer. Bad Attitude
default_thumbdown.gif

Seems to me if I remember correctly, they took that 2nd place and tossed it in the dirt after they walked out of the gate......yep in front of everyone. AND this person was a trainer. Bad Attitude
default_thumbdown.gif
Oh MY! Is this person a CHILD that they can't deal with disappointment? I haven't shown a lot yet and I can't say I know how things 'should' be but when my son was involved in things if he had behaved this badly we would have had a LONG talk and he would have been making a public apology to the judge(s) and other competitors as soon as possible. I have been in classes where I felt my horse was so obviously the better animal than the one next to me that I had no doubt i would place above them. I still would have accepted a judge having a different opinion, after all isn't that why i paid my entry fee? To get the judge's opinion on how my horse compared to others? If all I want is my own opinion I can save the money and just lead him around telling every one I see that I have a fabulous horse (which we all believe or we wouldn't take them out to show them off
default_smile.png

That is really rude and would have upset me as well. Poor sportmanship is rampant in the dog show world and probably every sport and it really makes no sense at all to me. I don't have much horse show experience but with my puppy owners I make sure they know to smile and congratulate the winner always and if they are the winner you accept your win gracefully and congratulate the reserve winner and following placements warmly! I'm such a stickler for it, I have quite a rep now for being known as having graceful losers representing my kennel LOL

default_wacko.png
In AHMA classes they announce from the bottom up. So there were 11 total entries in the class and they had already placed (announced) placings 10 through Reserve World Champion. So all that's left are 2 horses - one is getting the gate and the other is going to be named Champion. So when the Reserve was announced, the people supporting the eventual Champion horse starting hollering and high-fiving, screaming, whistling, just making a big scene in general. All this while the actual winner hasn't even been announced. It's just the "couldn't possibly be that ugly horse that wins so it must be my fantastic one" mentality that really ticked me off. It would have been much more gracious to stand there politely and wait for the announcement and then have a celebration.

Okay, now makes sense...yes to me that is also very rude
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back