My first Nationals-- Chariot and driving excitement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairicane

Reaction score
Well think I have recovered enough to write about it all. At the last minute I got a chance to go and Keely had her 2 driving wonder horses Tippy and Lightening entered and being transported by my friends and neighbors Dale and Roger of Show Time Training Center in Florida. We flew in and arrived sat afternoon just in time to miss the floods. We promptly hooked up the horses and drove around exploring. Didnt take us long to find the watering hole and the frozen drinks! While there we got to see little Romeo the chinese crested Erica got from me and his frenchy buddy Louie, boy were they cute together. AND I saw my new colt, Ericas Big City Bank on Me! Banker was not entered but when another of Ericas colts couldnt be shown Banker was substituted in. So the poor little guy was entered with pretty much no training and no conditioning at all. Thanks to a lot of hard work by Dale and Roger and their crew Banker got a complete makeover, some training and showed amazingly well in futurity and open. No he didnt win but he was placed 6th out of 23 in the open class by 1 judge and that in itself is pretty amazing. I think we did Erica proud and I was certainly proud to say thats my baby out there! Here are a couple of bad pix taken with my cell phone of Banker.

BankerNeckbestfixed907.jpg

BankerNatstandnice907.jpg

I think anyone that was at nationals either saw or heard about Keely and her great mare Tippy. That mare was flying in the 1st chariot class and looking great. They had just been galloping full out, announcer called for canter again when a weld broke on the chariot and the front end hit the ground almost throwing Keely out on top of her horse. I dont think Keely will mind me telling but she lost her reins and the only thing that saved them was she yelled WHOA and wonderful Tippy DID!!!! :new_shocked: :aktion033: How many of us have horses that well trained? She has owned this mare for years and trained her so well! I really think Tippy would be a National Champion now if the chariot hadnt broken. Tippy did win quite a few top 10s in CP, Roadster, ob. driving etc. She is a 16 year old mare! Again here is a phone pix of Tippy and Keely waiting to go into the 2nd chariot class with a loaner chariot.

keelydadrogerchaiotwaiting907.jpg

The other part of the dynamic driving duo is Keelys newest boy multi nat. ch. Buckeye WCF Classical Lightening and yes he is the horse of Getitias that was on the cover of The Journal. Lightening won another res. Nat. Ch. with Keely in a huge CP class and many other top 10s in halter, youth, jumper, driving etc with Keely, Show time and youth handlers. He is such a love. I have been lucky enough to drive and show both Tippy and Lightening and love them both like my own and even got to experience the excitement of having winning horses at Nationals. You see everyone saw Keely and I warming up the horses, harnessing them and

driving them (often to the watering hole, LOL) and I guess assumed I must own 1 or both. So all through the Nationals I got stopped by nice people asking how the horses did, congratulating us on their wins or offering help and concern after the chariot disaster.

I even got to show Lightening at Nationals and we finally found something he is NOT good at LOL. I have been driving him quite a bit at home lately on the road. Well Lightening is unflappable at the shows, used to everything u can find at one. But on the trails he is terrified of ROCKS, Im not kidding! We have big limestone rocks where we live and he is just sure they are going to jump out and eat him. He also hates white birds and still spooks where a white cattle egret flew up and almost got him a month ago. I got to meet Getitias Daughter in law and she and I shared fun stories of Lightening about keeling over from a heart attack at rocks and white things. Well guess what ? I finally get to show at Nationals and its the driving obstacle class and the 2nd obstacle is :new_shocked: a bridge with ROCKS in the water and a Bunch of DUCKS that are WHITE. Lightening took 1 look at that and spooked badly, so much so he yanked the check off. Got help putting that back from the ring steward and tried again. This time he reared right up, high
default_wacko.png
: and I knew he was not going to let those bad rocks or birds eat him. Keely had him entered in stakes classes later so rather than possibly scare him to death or get dumped out of the cart we gave up. So thats my Nationals driving experience :eek: ! Hope I will do better next year but u can bet I wont be showing Lightening in obstacle, LOL. Here is Lightening just before he left Florida.

lighteningBest907.jpg

There were many wonderful people there that offered support and help with the chariot. A very nice man welded it and spent several hours there working on it and would not take a cent for all his hard work. Keely was loaned a new chariot by Heather at Mulligans run, I believe, or one of the other nice folks at Lees, Aloha Acres set up. Anyway u were all awesome! I saw and heard of many examples of good sportsmanship and just plain good people. MADE ME PROUD TO BE A MINIATURE HORSE OWNER! And a special thanks to Ericas dad who would see us driving the horses up to the watering hole and bring drinks out to us, what a guy!

Congrats on having so much fun and on your placings! I saw Keely's accident and she was having a great run prior to that. I was sorry it happened, but also happy for Bo on his win.

And your new colt is VERY nice!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and done really well too! Good going :aktion033: Mary

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and hearing your recap of the events! Beautiful boy you have too!!
default_yes.gif
: I've never been to any of the big shows let alone nationals, but was able to "experience" some through your wonderful description. Thank you!

I think anyone that was at nationals either saw or heard about Keely and her great mare Tippy. That mare was flying in the 1st chariot class and looking great.
OMG!!! I saw the chariot race on Sunday night, we had friends who were entered with their horse. Ron Hayes and his horse Star.... I was out of my chair before I even knew it and pointing at Keely and her horse. Tippy was amazing, I have never seen a horse stretch out and run like that horse did. We had to leave on Monday to get our daughter back to college for a test that evening but I soooo wanted to tell her how much I enjoyed watching what little she did get to drive. That is one awesome little horse!! :cheeky-smiley-006:

Thanks guys, glad u enjoyed my "book" sorry it is so long. But I forgot to say that I saw many horses there I would have loved to take home, really outstanding horses. After seeing all the outstanding moving driving horses I will be working on a change in my breeding program. Those larger shetland blends have got me thinking.....

But there is 1 definitely small mini that I must congratulate and thats Piano man. That Kay is so quiet and humble. I missed his classes and asked her how he did in color and she quietly tells me that he won. I was totally thrilled for her and very happy. Then since I brag on his outstanding conformation all the time I asked about the open halter class. She pauses a minute and says he won that too!! For an appy to win like that u know that has to be one awesome horse. If I had been Kay I would be floating through the aisles crowing to all who would listen about those fabulous wins :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: . So a big congrats to the whole CCMF gang and good luck to Piano Man at the Worlds.
default_wub.png
:

Banker looks GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's got a sister and a brother I'll be laying some hugs on next week. I can't wait to meet my Big City babies
default_wub.png
:

There's my Banker boy, he looks great, and yes he was pulled off 24/7 pasture and hay just a week before Nationals as he was a sub for one that got hurt and couldn't attend.

It was nice to meet you Jen, and Romeo seemed to remember you as well. He's such a spoiled brat
default_smile.png
and I so love him.

Keely's first ride was just :new_shocked: everyone gave her a standing ovation really when she had to walk out with the cart and horse separate.

default_wub.png
: Gosh! I am SO green with envy I can't stand it! I don't have the money or any facilities to train for show, and yet we did show 4-H for almost 20 years with the kids, and also we showed Great Danes on the proffessional circuit..(we had champions there :bgrin )

So I know the stress, thrill and awe at just being there..we would love to come some year, fly out, just to meet forum members and share in that wonderful camadrie you describe!

Can we come please, and if we do come without a horse are you aloud to visit the barns and the people?

I promise to be good and would help groom or anything else we are aloud to do...

well anyway just had to say you all are a tribute to the breed and a testiment of how God meant people to be!

Here's a toast to you all. (Maybe a strawberry Daquari?
default_yes.gif
:

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jen,

Oh, so he's the boy you got from Erica... niiiiiiice!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: SUPER CONGRATS!!! :aktion033: And what an awesome start with him already! :aktion033:

Wow, I'm so thankful Keely and her horse were not hurt, what a great mare she has, and what outstanding training she's done with her! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033:

Another great account of an experience at Nationals! Those of us that weren't there really appreciate it!

Congratulations and thank you!!!

Liz

I REALLY want a chariot. I also want to know why there are no pictures of the chinese crested, hehehe!

Thanks for sharing, your "novel" was a fun read.

Lightening.....rThat pic of him tied to the trailer...after reading your obstacle story...he looks 'guilty'...LOL.

I saw you guys so many times going back/forth to classes...and got to chat with Keely in the warm up arena and congratulate her on Reserve National Champion in Amateur! WAY TO GO...and like 8 other Top 10 titles they brought home. AND...just think...she only had Lightening for less than 2 months....wait till they get used to everything and really get going! I did get to see her drive Tippy in Roadster and a CP class...that mare is really beautiful and Keely has done a great job with her training.

I was bummed didnt get to see the chariots...every time they went...I had a class coming up and was getting a horse ready. I agree the sportsmanship and the people made it a really enjoyable week.

Wait till next year when Keely has time to teach Lightening the ropes of obstacle class...he's so responsive and so willing...you'll be top with him next time...I'd bet on it!

As I mentioned before, I didn't realize the beautiful girl in the gorgeous dress was Keely. She looked just breathtakingly beautiful, and I told her so! I didn't see the chariot race where she broke down, but one of our group did. He came back to the barn telling us all about it, and said it could have been a bad one, but the girl driving remained calm, and knew how to handle her horse. He couldn't say enough about her skills. He also said he knew she would have won had the accident not happened.

You know what I wonder? How do you keep your balance in that thing with the horses going full out?

Not for the faint of heart.

We saw one of the chariot classes but not THAT one! Glad no one was hurt and it all turned out ok!

Your colt is fabulous- especially if he looks that good just out of the pasture! Erica has some wonderful horses though and is a terrific hostess (yes, we were offered a 'slushy' too!) Her barn area was so cute and love her sign of 'Blue or Glue' where the ribbons were hung! Great sense of humor.

Wish I had known you were there, but we got in about midafternoon on Monday - glad we missed the floods too!!

I did get to meet Jean while there for a brief hello. And we met some really nice folks from Minnesota I think, that were stalled in Barn F with us- had six kids, 12 horses and I tell you, I dont know how they packed it all in and out, but they did pretty well and were the nicest folks. I only know her first name was Mary. Great family! Also met Pam Chitwood and her husband, though we didnt get much time to visit either!

Met Erica briefly and of course visited with the old friends- Larry Parnell, Dale and Shirley, Deana from Double Diamond Tack, Lori Lancaster and Lori Villapano, our friends the Votca's who summer in Minnesota and winter here in AZ..... and others....

Wish I could have met more... it was so fun. Reminds me of Thanksgiving dinner- you spend days preparing and it's over in 30 minutes! Months preparing for Nationals and it's over before you know it!

Glad you were able to go- it's an awesome experience. For those that dont show there, even to come for a day and watch the classes and see all the horses and visit is priceless!!

:aktion033: :aktion033: GREAT REPORT!!!

So where were you when I met Keely in the warm-up arena? I would have loved to have met you!

Keely was "layin' some tracks," when the chariot broke...she was awesome and had rock-steady nerve! She put her heel down in the dirt and got that little horse whoa'd. A true display of horsemanship! I absolutely love the chariots class; I think one of the best things about Nationals is the variety of classes that you don't see anywhere else!

Congrats on Banker, he looks like he is going to be one awesome dude! Those Big City foals are sure nice.

I would love to try Chariot driving sometime. I would also like to find a kick-butt roadster horse! That is another class I would LOVE to compete and do well in!

":aktion033: :aktion033: GREAT REPORT!!!

So where were you when I met Keely in the warm-up arena? I would have loved to have met you! "

"Congrats on Banker, he looks like he is going to be one awesome dude! Those Big City foals are sure nice."

"I would love to try Chariot driving sometime. I would also like to find a kick-butt roadster horse! That is another class I would LOVE to compete and do well in!

:eek: I could have been in the cart with either Tippy or Lightening. Sometimes I was so tired I could barely see much less communicate, lol.

Thanks!! We are all very pleased with Banker and he has such a good attitude. If he is any indication of what Big City thows he is going to be a top producing sire.

Not me , not in chariot. I already have 1 bad leg with nerve damage. Ill leave the chariot to the younger and fitter folks. But roadster, yep Im looking for a horse for that too!!!

Erica -- so glad u thought Banker looked ok. We think he is great.

Jill--- I know u will love your new kids. Big City is making some awesome babies.

Thanks to everyone that complimented Banker, he is already getting a fan club among those that have met him.

I will also say a big THANKS on Keelys behalf for all the wonderful comments on her horses. Keely is a school teacher and is totally swamped at her job after taking a week off to go to nationals. Of course she is flat out exhausted too. I cant even imagine facing a bunch of 9th graders after the week we had :eek: :new_shocked:

Congratulations with the purchase of your new boy "Banker" and what a great showing your first time out! We heard about the chariot incident and tickled no one was injured.

This was our second Nationals and was only there a day (limited vacation time) and would have loved to have stayed longer and had a chance to meet you. Maybe next year?

Dawn :saludando:

Dawn, I just noticed you are in Benson, AZ. I will be in Goodyear the week of Oct 7 - 15 as I am driving my sister, her husband, and their German Shepherd from WI to her daughter's home. Her husband has been similar to a person with relatively severe Alzheimer's since his cardiac arrest in May. She doesn't drive so she is flying me from WY to WI to drive them to AZ for the move. I plan on sneaking away to visit someone in Benson one of those days I am there. Could I possibly stop by and see your lovely horses?? I just pm'ed you too.

Latest posts

Back