This is just a dream, but I wanted to see if it was possible...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I just love to cook and I've always dreamed about having a food stand to take with me to shows, as a healthy alternative for the exhibitors, to the usual fare: burgers, hot dogs, etc. I'm thinking healthy foods, gourmet offerings, home cooking, and that sort of thing.

I know it's a dream at this point, but I wanted to start finding out what makeing the dream come true would cost to see if it is even possible. Can anyone tell me how to start figuring costs and that sort of thing? Also, does anyone know about the requirements (health department, etc) and how to make that work when traveling from state to state?

Thanks.

Can't answer your question personally, but it sounds wonderful!

Personally, I would start with checking out your LOCAL health requirements and go from there........ Put your foot out there and give it a try at LOCAL or REGIONAL show/events, then GROW from there if things work out.

If it looks like it could be a possibility, be sure to check Craigs List and other sources for the equipment you may need. And be willing to shop outside of your area........don't be afraid to make a day's drive. You may be surprised what people are giving up for cheap.

I would absoultely love if I could go to shows, fairs, etc and eat healthy. Some things you could even make the night before probably, like turkey wraps, hard boiled eggs, etc. I always go to GetGo and see the "on the go" foods they have, and think that we should fill a cooler with them to take to shows.

When we put on our shows in Central Texas, the club put on a free dinner for the exhibitors the night before. Each year it was a bit of a fight to do this with the facility as they wanted to make sure they were the only ones offering the food services as it was an additional source of income for the facility. Some place you have to take a course & pass health tests to be able to work with food that will be made & served to the public. Check with your local laws & the places where you want to do this before you invest alot of money upfront. Good luck.

Definitely worth looking into! I would love it as I cant stand most of the over priced show food

As said above though some facilities will not allow any outside food

I do know when I was putting together an Ohio show a couple years ago, I hired a food company and they did a no show on me
default_sad.png
Was really bad because I told everyone there would be food there. They didnt even call just didnt show up and wouldnt answer their phone. They were supposed to serve breakfeast and lunch

I know I have seen those used food cart/truck things on craigslist for sale

Kay

I have a food handlers card in my hometown, I had to take a one day course on food safety. I hadn't thought about having to have one in each city that I wanted to go to. That's a really good thought. I'll check that out.

I had totally forgotten about this, but since you brought it up, I do remember when I was showing my gelding in Nebraska at one of the fairgrounds, they were giving us trouble over having a cooler and snacks at our stalls. But I also remember, at the IL state fairgrounds, they had several vendors, so I guess that is showground specific more than it would be sponsoring club specific, don't you think? Hmmmm...that's another good point you have made. I need to check out which fairgrounds don't allow outside vendors.

I am a craigslist junkie. Good idea about looking on there for equipment.

Can anyone suggest a few good books or websites about starting a business? I want to research the process before I get too deep in dreaming.

Thanks for all of the tips, this is giving me so much to think about.

PS If I ever get this off the ground, I'll make you all dinner. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about books but google business plans. Thats a good way to start and get it all on paper.

A good bs plan will show how to get the bs going (exspense, equipment, advertising etc) but it will also detail what to do if it fails.

If you want a bank loan to start they usually want to see the bs plan before they make their decision

For smaller amounts I had heard theres a new small bs loan program but I havent researched it

I do not know anything about the food market. But, to start a business make sure you get a DBA from your county, this will allow you to get your business it's own bank account. You will also need to get a tax ID number, state at least. Federal you do not need unless you meet some requirements, I do not know what they are I forget, but I would recomend getting one becasue you can use your federal number for ID instead of your SS# for the business, and it does not cost anything. (I believe, now that I think of it, you have to have one of you make over $600, but again, not sure.) Look into insurance. I do not know specific for food industry, but at least some sort of liability for your cart and supplies (what if someone trips over a cord or something? you need to be covered.)

If you are going to go to different states, you will have to research how to handle the taxes for that also.

Good luck!

So, I guess the thing to do would be to get some books on business and read up on it, then see if I can hire a tax professional to chat with me about the financial responsibilities that I would face in owning a business from state to state, look in to getting a Tax ID number, find out what the health department regulations are for this type of business, and then figure costs of equipment and inventory. Do you think I have this right? Thanks for the help.

Back