Third day in the cart for Misty.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsfizz

Reaction score
Hallo everybody, not sure if I have actually posted on here, before, but here I am.

Misty is a two and a half year old gelding, Red Dun Roan Pinto, bred by me. I started working with him seriously (ground manners)about six weeks ago, but did not intend going any further until the spring, although at the back of my mind has always been the fact that I should really like to drive him at the Breed Show at the end of the year- but Misty came first and, if it was not to be, then I was OK with that.

Fast forward to the fact that we are now under six feet of snow (yes, OK I am exaggerating) and I have 16 mares furthest from the stables that actually, for some reason, do require feeding!

I talked it over with Misty and he said he would consider it, but that, basically, it seemed OK to him (I could hear Rabbit sniggering in his paddock).

So long story short I harnessed him up and he pulled the cart over with the feeds and the hay, ate his feed (would you work without pay?) whilst I gave it all out, then pulled the cart back for me. He is only working (pulling) at the moment, no driving involved, and he is, as I keep telling him, a little STAR.

I am so pleased with him, I can't tell you. I though this boy was going to be hard, as he can be a bit of a prima donna, and he has always been a bit nervy, too, but no, he seems to have taken to it well. I also really thought I was going to need blinkers, but, agian, no, he is fine! His biggest problem is with my ill disciplined dogs, who get hyper when a horse is in harness and go hooning around barking and rolling over one another - Misty has never been too keen on them, but once he realised I was not going to tell him off for flattening his ears at them (Bertie had to be physically restrained form attacking them which, in harness, gets a bit scary!) he was a lot better.

This boy did quite well in the ring as a colt, was only gelded as I needed a gelding and did not need another stallion, so I now cannot wait for spring so I can get him going properly!

I shall not be tempted to do any more than the occasional bit of work like this til much later, but it really is brilliant to know that he seems to be going to enjoy it.

Now all I need is the money for a Jerald!

I am pretty sure I have the harness worked out,even though I shall need two collars, but the import on the Jerald is pretty hefty and there just is not a cart producer in Europe that does anything near as good to look at!

Although, I do like the Meadowbrooks as well.

And I do want a Hyperbike.

Trouble is I cannot claim, with a clear conscience to have been "good" so the chances of any of this coming on Santa's sleigh are non-existent!!

Yay, I'm so thrilled for you! Did I meet Misty when I was there? The Dober-Children I remember.
default_laugh.png

It's always such an exciting feeling when a horse does better than you expect and it's additional cause for pride when he does so in the performance of actual, you know, work.
default_wink.png
Something that helps out a bit! Good for him.

I can't help much with the Jerald but Hyperbikes come apart into pretty small pieces for shipping...I bet Santa could fit one of those in his sleigh!
default_biggrin.png
Hehe.

Leia

Way to go Jane and Misty! Isn't it great to have someone to help with the chores?!
default_biggrin.png
I have a hay toboggan and have hitched a horse to it to pull small squares out to the mare paddock in the winter when I am not feeding round bales.

I'd love pictures too, but the Dobes are useless and keep cutting the heads or the legs off, and Santa's Elves have all gone home for the Holidays!!! It's really hard to take photos of a horse you are leading, but I'll try. He is going like a train now, today I unhitched him while I was putting the feeds out and just put his feed under his nose and left him loose....if it is good enough for a rag and bone man's horse, it's good enough for me!

I love the way he has learned to duck under the collar so I do not have to detach the traces form the cart, just leave the loop of the collar and the traces all hitched up and he oozes into it.

Leia , no, you did not meet him, I had not got him back at that time

Misty2010009.jpg

Misty2010027.jpg

Misty2010028.jpg

This is my boy, he is Rabbits grandson, but not at all like him, apart from the colour. He stands about 30/32" and I have given up trying to translate that into US heights, he ranges from 29-30 depending on how fat he is! He has, I think, a very good length of leg for such a small guy, and I liked the way he covered ground, even completely untrained. A bonus is that the friend who has had him on loan has traffic proofed him, and she lives on a very busy road, so he is pretty well bomb proof!

Please excuse his rudeness in the first picture, he had not been gelded!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful boy and a fun story! I like the details of your "wild" dogs! I so appreciate how this forum unites us mini-lovers, even though we are so far apart! Merry Christmas, our British friend!

Oh what a cutie he is! Thanks for sharing pics, I always like to put a face to the names of the horses we hear so much about!

Latest posts

Back