"They aren't good for anything...."

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
"...are they?"

I got THIS comment at the Stock Show on Saturday! I was tidying up Sammie's face before the show when this older lady stuck her head in my tack stall and stated that! I was like, "I BEG your pardon?" She then stated since you can't ride them they aren't good for anything.

We tried to set her straight, that you can do ANYTHING with a Mini you can do with a big horse, EXCEPT ride it, but I don't think she got it. Especially when she asked me, as she finally left, "Do you ride him?" I answered "No, my feet drag...." I kinda surprised myself on how nice I was to her.

I think the wheel was turning but the hamster was dead on THAT woman....

And of course, I couldn't think of any witty comebacks until much later.

Ha! lol Thats funny Carolyn R ;)

Some people can be really rude these days. XD

I know I wouldnt of been so nice if someone rudely said that about my horse, big or little;maybe she should have worded that a little differently so it wasnt such of a rude comment

Wow, that was rude of her. Even if she didn't know what you could do with them it could of been asked a more polite way. It sounds like that hamster has been dead in that wheel a while.

I think it would be an interesting survey to find out if the big horse people who think little horses aren't good for anything ride very tall horses. I think they need to sit up high to make themselves feel powerful. Sort of like a napoleonic complex.

She probably owns a very small dog...

I'm glad you hear it at a show... At first, I thought it was from me!
default_giveup.gif

I used to think that about them. My sister-in-law bought one when she was about twelve and she kept it at my place for a couple of months. I never could bond with that thing. My mom got one seven years ago. She lives next door, I've spent countless hours with that guy, and I still haven't been able to bond with him. It was all different with my Sadie. My mom had sold her mini and bought Sadie after she realized how much she missed him. That didn't work out 'cause Sadie was too much for her. She bought her mini gelding back and I was going to sell Sadie for her.

The first time I saw Sadie, I took her lead, turned around, hollered thank you, and headed for home. Seriously. Dad yelled,"You get back here with her!" I knew that I would take my time and sell her so my mom could get top dollar for her, but that same day, my son claimed her as his very own. I've had her now two years. I bred her ('cause you can't have only one, you know!) and she's due in April. More about her is here: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132281&page=4

It is through Sadie that I have found what a mini really is. I don't drive her, but I drive my mom's mini. I'll drive the baby just as I drive my Arab. For me, just being Sadie is enough. I have no expectations of her. Just being around her brings me pure joy, even when she's on the defensive. Mostly, she just follows me around. The kids no longer ride her now that she's pregnant. As it is, my 3 yo is now the only one that could anyway. She has a forever home, just because she is who she is. She's mine.

I love the comment that one can't ride a dog either... That's awesome. I'm a MAJOR Labrador Retriever lover, but I love my mini more...
default_worshippy.gif

I had the same thing said to me yesterday by two people and I wasn't even at a show.

Some people think if you can't ride them

That they are not any use to have them.

I would have been the farthest thing from polite if someone said that to me How do you look at an animal and say they aren't good for anything? Ignorant people make me angry

One thing people forget to add when the say it is that such and such isn't good for anything "for me". I know when I thought, and even said it, I never meant to be rude. I never added "for me" either. I've been Edjumacated (educated) since then! It just took me a couple years. I knew a person could show, adore, drive, and that small children could even ride the bigger minis, but it didn't mean anything "to me" until I actually had my own.

no, she's right, they are good for nothing...

nothing but a huge heart waiting to care ,

nothing but four legs, waiting to serve,

nothing but a deep and undying love.

Its funny though, because If they think mini horses and ponies are good for nothing, then why don't they think dogs are good for nothing? People have dogs for pets, and sometimes show them too. Miniatures make great pets, and there are alot of shows out there for them too ;) Has she ever heard of PONY RIDES? ;)

Great topic! Last year I ahd carpet cleaners out and they were two city boys and they asked what do you do with miniature horses...so in I thoght ask a stupid question I will answer with a stupid answer...so without missing a beat and a poker face I said, Eat them. Should have seen the look on their face!!! I let them mull it over a few minutes and then got on my soap box and let them know everything that could REALLY be done with a miniature horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was pretty rude of her. Don't think I was ever that openly rude..but thought and maybe even said..What do u do with them? Like in thinking they were pretty useless. I couldnt understand the attraction.

Tell the next person who says something to go out and buy one. Then they will know why folks love the mini's.

My boyfriend would agree with her... He calls them my useless little anchors. He wants to travel but i am too worried to leave for more than a couple days at a time. And yes my answer has always been that they are good for me!! I tell him that I had them before him and I will still have them after him... he doesnt like that answer! LOL I have had minis for 23 years now and him for only 12 years. Sorry Babe!
default_whistling.gif

I have heard it before ......I think that there are more things we can do with our miniatures

Last edited by a moderator:
Rabbit ... I'll second that one and be proud to wear the shirt too, for sure!

I lucked out this time with my BF ... I found one that loves the little ones and told me I could not sell any of them, especially the little 27.5" filly. He said she belonged to him and he just loves her. He asks about how the horses are doing before he asks about me most times and that warms my heart.

Tell them there are old people in nursing homes that haven't spoken a word in years who will begin talking when approached by a Mini.They are also very theraputic for the owners.Very calming.

Latest posts

Back