There are more worth while things to pray for, but I would appreciate some prayers sent this way.UPD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I know there are more worthwhile things to pray for, I know in the large picture, this is very minuscule, but some prayers would still be greatly appreciated.

I'll try not to write a novel......I tossed in the towel on breeding last year, I had dealt with several deaths in the family between 2010 and 2011. One of the dealth's was my 98 year old grandmother that my parents, my husband and I cared for 4.5 years. I was home with the kids already so much of this was on me 24/7. She was not the loving grandmother that many are blessed with, but I loved her inspite of herself. She was in the end stages of geriatric care, spoon feeding, depends, sponge bathes, she had very little motility or quality of life in the last two years of her life. Her death was very hard to handle even at her age, living a very long life, it was very hard for me when she passed. It was one of those moments in life that one sits back and evaluates things. I was on the fence about breeding any longer, then a mini I raised and sold ended up not having the life I hoped. That was all it took to make me say "enough, I am done with trying to raise something for other people's enjoyment."

I placed all but two mini's and recycled the money for a dream horse, a Gypsy Vanner. I brought her home last fall, she came with a free future breeding, which I had planned on taking advantage of next year. Several months after I purchased her, the unthinkable happened,it was the first week of January. I had her tied with a slip knot, grabbed the mini's to place them in their turnout, so she could go in the large turnout, in that 30 seconds, she jarred back to see where I was, the slip knot failed and she snapped the stall bar out of the track at the base, and pulled it into her eye. She had to have her eye removed. She has recovered like none other, she puts the movie "war horse" to shame, she is amazing, but I feel so horrible about it. I became so paranoid about the thought of breeding her and the what ifs....what If she miscarries, what if she has a horrid distocia, what if I loose her, or the most unforgivable, what is she has a beautiful foal, one I dreamed of to be her lifelong buddy here, then being a nervous new mom, she misjudges and steps on it due to her limited vision on her left side?

We made the decision to purchase rather than breed her, I could not face the outcome if something were to happen. I don't look at her mishap as an accident, I continually feel solely responsable for it and feel that I would be letting her down if something happened because I insisted on breeding her.

I put a deposit on a in utero foal yesterday. She is actually 2 days over due, she is a proven mare, this is her fifth and this is a repeat cross that has been done two times before with nice results. I can insure the foal with mortality insurance at 24 hours as long as the IGg test is good, and I can fully insure it at 30 days old for medical and mortality. I can't pay what I paid for my mare, I can't justify paying that for a family companion. This is was an opportunity for me to buy another for a much lower price, but with that comes risk.

I know there are much more worth while things to pray for, I pray for those things daily, I pray for each and every prayer request I see, and while it seems rather frivolous, I am still ask the dear Lord above for a heathy mare and foal, easy delivery and to keep the foal in his watchful, protective care, I humbly ask

for some prayers to be sent this way. I am sorry for the novel but I believe in the power of prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So be it
default_pray.gif

I didn't know about what happened. What a sad accident for your mare.

Of course I will raise prayers that your baby is born healthy and comes to you strong and healthy when he/she is weaned!

Thanks everyone, your prayers are appreciated more than you know. I should have reached out when everything happened with my girl. This is the first I have mentioned about my mare, as you can imagine I felt completely and utterly sick about it and somewhat ashamed at how it may reflect on me as an owner,but here we are 4 months later and she is amazing. Horses are remarkable like that. No regret,no sense of remorse, no pouting about how it could have been, no vanity or shame like us humans, she doesn't have the ability to say " I looked so much more attractive when I had both eyes". She is healthy, happy, a big mellow tank of a mare, well loved and completely capable of being used for a cherished family horse as intended. I know it sounds corny, but I feel like God sometimes shows us that things don't work out how we dreamed, but none the less they work out, and this is how we learn our life lessons. She has an amazing attitude and gentleness about her, as if to say this is life, now we need to move on. Regardless, I don't think I could breed her, as I said, I wouldn't forgive myself if something went wrong.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I hate to bother the Big Guy upstairs with such trivial things.

Carolyn, I am praying your coming foal arrives safe, sound and is everything you hope for! I've had things happen too that I didn't want to share at first but you do feel better once we do and I think we all understand! Things happen with horses, even if you treat them like hot house flowers. It's not your fault and your girl can still have a great life and be as much fun. We have a dog we adopted who has just one eye and I have not ever been around a more joyful animal. She just is the happiest dog I've ever met, smart and adorable, too. I'll be watching for updates and PICTURES of your new "little" one
default_wub.png

Don't be so hard on yourself. Something I have learned over the many years of having horses is that if they can they will find a way to get hurt no matter how hard we try to keep them safe. Sending thoughts and prayers that yournew one arrives safe and sound! No prayer is too small and I too believe in the power of prayer! Please keep be sure to update with pictures.

I can't think of anyone more deserving of a good outcome! I will keep your unborn foal in my prayers everyday until we have a safe delivery. Take care and try not to worry too much.

Thanks guys! Well she is bagging up heavily at this point, so that means anywhere from tonight till, ummmm, next week
default_smile.png

More likely sooner than later, so if you all could keep the prayers com in' , it is much appreciated. I will share more as soon as I know more. Thanks guys!

Prayers and excitement for you! Looking forward to your happy news
default_smile.png
i was hopeful when i saw you'd updated -- anxious for pictures
default_smile.png

This morning a lovely black and white colt was born at Aurora Acres in KY! He has a lot of white on him, and is HUGE. While I am a mare person, I couldn't be happier. He will be gelded and be part of the family. No one could take the place of my girl Stevie, so with that said, a gelding for the hubby and kids to share is not a bad thing at all! Please keep the prayers and good thoughts comin, we have at least four months until we bring him home. I will post photos and a name later. I only have photos on my phone right now. The name is up to my Hubby and the kids, I think it will help with the bonding process between my husband and his future riding horse
default_smile.png

WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you! I can't wait to see him!!!

After a grueling evening of my husband and the kids trying to hash out a name, looks like they settled on one, Excalibur, Cal for short, and it must include the breeders farm name, so it would be Aurora Acres Excalibur.

She said he is HUGE, biggest gypsy vanner ever born at her place. Dam and sire are both 15.2H so I think he will deffinately hit that mark, if not more. Hopefully I can get the pictures up loaded, a little more white than I usually like, but he is oh so handsome
default_smile.png

His left side has a huge dark patch, his right has more facial black, a large splat of color on his belly and on the inside of his flank, but is otherwise white. So far so good, just need to keep going in that direction.

cal.jpg

cal2.jpg

Back