Therapy Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
I know a few of you have certified therapy horses on here. I'm thinking about trying my one mini out. He's got an awesome personality. But he has stifle problems and I did the surgery, but we're still battling leg problems. So as far as showing goes, I don't think he'll ever make it to be 100% to be competative enough. But I hate having pasture ornaments. So I want him to have a job.

Who do I contact about becoming certified? What are the requirements? What are your thoughts on going through the program?

Hi Keri,

There is no program for horses for certification but Delta or Love on a Leash will give you therapy status and cover you under their insurance.

If he has a good disposition and is bomb proof he will be fine. I take mine for walks through town to get them use to all different kinds of noises, under overpasses etc. They also have to get use to a surcingle to carry a bucket for the causes that they have. I have two therapy horses and each one has two causes, one walks for the Arthritis Foundation and the School for the Deaf, the other walks for cancer and autism. They also have 13 bookings through May 15 to various nursing facilities. I do not charge for visits (there are a few out there that do). When gas gets over $3 a gallon, I ask for a donation in any amount to help with gas.

If you have any questions, give me a shout.

Nancy

Do you have a website or contact info for them? I just don't have a clue where to get started.

My guy is pretty bomb proof. I drive him on the road and cars are passing us at 40mph and I also drive the frontage road. So he's use to freeway traffic and such. The only thing that makes him stand at attention is cows (but he doesn't bolt or anything, just looks at them funny).
default_laugh.png
My son is 2 and he is all over him. I was harnessing him up one day and wasn't paying too much attention to my son (he's generally feeding the cat). But that day, he grabbed a huge stick and smacked Kirby on his behind. I could've died, but Kirby just sat there. Flinched a bit and acted like nothing happened. So truely, one in a million personality.

Thanks! There's a Utah Chapter member right by me.
default_smile.png
I'll email her and see what I need to do.
default_saludando.gif

Back