The Worlds Purse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
In all the years I've been on this message board I can honestly say I've never started a controversial thread but I just can't sit quiet anymore.

Why do our politicians think that we have to be the worlds purse!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong - when we're affluent and thriving I'm the first to step up and give. My brother and I are doing very well financially and between the two of us gave over $50,000 to Make a Wish this last tax year. But in years when we're not doing as well - we don't give as much and we don't feel guilty for not doing so. That's life. America is NOT affluent and thriving. We have people here who hare hungry, homeless, jobless, sick, poorly educated, our infrastructure is crumbling - the list goes on etc. Yet, we pour BILLIONS into foreign countries that basically hate us anyhow!

The entire world looks to us to bail them out and two seconds after we do, they're criticizing us...why can't our leaders have the nads to say "no" once in a while. Why has keeping some of those billions in America become a dirty deed. Helping Japan...go for it...they're our business partners...they have a disaster...situations like this is where we should step up. But what's going on in the middle east just infuriates me.

America is the greatest nation in the world (Canadians...Euros...please don't take offense to that - I'm just very patriotic) but if we don't stop and take store, invest in ourselves again, we're going to find there's a long way to fall.

And when are the politicians going to realize that the billions we give away isn't monopoly money....it's OUR money - THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER.

Okay...I'm off my soapbox
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I have been discussing this off and on lately, and you'll get no arguement from us. You said it better than I could, so no need for me to elaborate.

I agree........Larry and I have often said the same thing.

It goes back to the saying: "Charity begins at home."

Having worked in international development I can tell you that very seldom is it actual dollars going to these contries, usually it is products and often surplus or subsidised goods such as dry milk, corn, medications, fertilizers, insecticides, etc. These other countries have a need and appreciate it but there are strings attached. Some of you who are in my age group will remeber the Dairy herd reduction program in the 80s...a large number of those "surplus" dairy cows found themselves in new tropical homes!

Compared to many / most other places in the world, America IS thriving.

Compare the average incomes here to elsewhere. The standard of living here to elsewhere. ETC.

Many places in the world do not even offer their citizens property rights. They have no ownership of anything... Thanks to capitalism, we in the USA get to own our own homes, businesses, investments, cars... even a luxury as outlandish as pet horses! (I ♥ capitalism!)

However, the USA should not be the world's piggy bank. There is a huge, long list of domestic issues that need to be dealt with... when "we" are this far in debt, how can we continue to spend, give and help? It just makes no sense to me.

It feels like the only thing growing is the Government, and bigger government = smaller individuals.

We need more common sense conservatives in office and our Government needs to hand out less money -- not just abroad but also at home.

Also, when it comes to "The American Tax Payer" -- MORE need to come on and join the ranks!!! Almost half (47%) of the households in our Nation pay no federal income tax. Not fair. Our progressive tax system actually punishes success and it seems like there needs to be a more equal distribution of the burden.

i totally agree!

FINALLY someone that thinks like i do
default_aktion033.gif

people in this country are living on the streets, begging for food, america is up to its eyeballs in debt and yet we are pouring money into the middle east even though they hate us!

what is up with that?!? i say if they wanna kill eachother, let em at it! they threten and rape our reporters and we reward them with money and the blood of our soldiers?? what kind of sick joke is this?

default_1857272.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
closedeyes.gif
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_gaah.gif

ok, i'm jumpin off my soapbox now.....

Our country used to be the greatest, but in my opinion is now going downhill fast. I am not putting all of the blame on the governments shoulders. I feel like we are falling behind in helping our own, and it shouldn't all be the governments responsability. I just found out Mon. that there is now a tent city full of homeless people living just 45 minutes away. These people have lost their jobs, their homes and their hope. The community needs to step up and help. Also I think there are alot of people in this country that stand with their hand out for the government to take care of them, when they could try just a little harder to help themselves. Teen mothers are one example that get government assistance that bothers me. They should get assistance from their families, not the government, that is the taxpayers money. Also I think it is unfair that some don't pay taxes while the rest of us struggle to do so. I am not sure what the solution is to our problems, but do agree that we need to take care of our own first.

I'm not advocating here for Donald Trump - just mentioning what I heard him say in the news today when asked what his foreign policy would be (because its 100% how I feel)if he were to run ....he said he'd take care of home first. He wouldn't build a school in Afghanistan, just for them to blow it up the following week, when we need new schools here
default_aktion033.gif

I don't know what the answer is - I understand the philosophy behind the tea party. Only thing I can't do, I just cannot vote for a woman (SP) who truly believes the earth is 4000 years old - to me that's like voting for an adult who still believes in Santa. I can't vote for someone that uneducated to be in that position of power and the TP seems to have a lot of members with those views
default_no.gif

Having worked in international development I can tell you that very seldom is it actual dollars going to these contries, usually it is products and often surplus or subsidised goods such as dry milk, corn, medications, fertilizers, insecticides, etc. These other countries have a need and appreciate it but there are strings attached.
If you were in international development then you are aware of the fact that all of these commodities we sent to these Third World Countries are NOT delivered directly to the people, but must be delivered to their corrupt governments, controlled by dictators and despots, and then doled out according to their desires. A lot of the stuff we send gets skimmed off and sold on the black market. In these nations, the "trickle down" theory is strong and at work, meaning, if any of the food or products "trickle down" to the people who actually need it, well, good for them.

And this all goes back to the "teach a man to fish" principle. You simply can't keep sending surplus food items to these nations and expect to solve a single thing. Unless you can teach them to farm, provide the equipment to do so, and insure that their governments also have the welfare of their people as their number one concern, you can never hope to break the cycle of starvation and poverty these people face on a daily basis.

I'm not advocating here for Donald Trump - just mentioning what I heard him say in the news today when asked what his foreign policy would be (because its 100% how I feel)if he were to run ....he said he'd take care of home first. He wouldn't build a school in Afghanistan, just for them to blow it up the following week, when we need new schools here
default_aktion033.gif

I don't know what the answer is - I understand the philosophy behind the tea party. Only thing I can't do, I just cannot vote for a woman (SP) who truly believes the earth is 4000 years old - to me that's like voting for an adult who still believes in Santa. I can't vote for someone that uneducated to be in that position of power and the TP seems to have a lot of members with those views
default_no.gif
Trump is moving ahead in many of the polls, but I don't think he stands a chance. However, he's NOT a politician, so he is totally free to "tell it like it is." The problem with our legislature right now is that we keep electing lawyers. What the heck do they know about the economy or how to run a business? Trump is shaking things up. He is saying things that make sense, and I hope that his rising popularity makes our current politicians sit up and take notice.

And this middle east baloney makes me sick. Remember when Russia invaded Afghanistan, and we came to the rescue? And now the Afghans are using the same weapons we gave them to fight Russia AGAINST us! And that's how it will be every single time we step into any mess in the M.E.

Do you think Iraq will become a truly democratic nation after we leave there? We have left the life of so many american soldiers there, and for what? Within 12 months of our pulling completely out of Iraq, one Muslim faction or another will take over the government and we'll have another Iran on our hands.

Now we are involved in Libya... because the coalition of Arab states ASKED for UN help. Well, if the coalition of Arab states hates Qaddafi, then let them all join forces together and send their own stinkin' armies and pilots and soldiers into the region. But no! They are too chicken sh!t to do so because they don't want to be seen attacking another Muslim nation... so let the U.S. attack that nation, and once again this will go down in history comparable to the time we protected the Shah of Iran.

In all the years I've been on this message board I can honestly say I've never started a controversial thread but I just can't sit quiet anymore.

Why do our politicians think that we have to be the worlds purse!!!!!!

And when are the politicians going to realize that the billions we give away isn't monopoly money....it's OUR money - THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER.

Okay...I'm off my soapbox
default_biggrin.png
First off, I get so angry when I hear about the budget fight in Washington right now, and the biggest areas to cut are to benefits to American citizens. Social Security, raising the retirement age, and cutting Medicare and Medicaid, yet not ONCE have I heard them mention ANY cuts to foreign aid! And most of the foreign aid we send ends up enriching the petty dictators who run the nations receiving the aid.

And why don't we close a few hundred of the almost 800 military bases we are running all over the world? These bases are sources of great income for the civilian and governmental populations of the countries we have them in... all money that could be eliminated from the military budget and spent on making American strong again.

And if anyone truly wants American strong again, then STOP BUYING CHINESE PRODUCTS!!!! Look at every product, and especially food and pet products you buy. If it says "Made in China" then put it back!

Have you ever tried to buy fish at Walmart? There is NONE that is not from China. Oh, the front of the package might say, in big words, "Pacific Salmon" but if you check the small print on the bottom of the back of the package, it says, "Made in China."

Weebiscuit....I think I'm voting for YOU
default_aktion033.gif
I agree with everything you've said!

With the global economy we are in and have been in for many years, it's going to be very hard for American manufacturing to thrive. Our citizens will not work for the tiny amounts people in other Nations will work for...

We've really all gotten spoiled by how cheaply we are able to purchase most things. If our goods had to be made here, there would be riots about how much it costs to buy this, that and the other. My opinion is that there is not a bright future at all when it comes to manufacturing and the American workforce. I'm not saying I like it this way (I don't), I'm just saying I don't think it will change.

Add to that the current reality that more Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining -and- utilities COMBINED! It's really just a big, stupid mess that has done nothing but get worse the past few years.

I agree with you.

Lots of things need fixing in the US and that is not going to happen if we keep sending our tax payers money to other countries.

There are still a lot of people out of work, that want and need jobs. (and I am not talking about the sponges, just the good hard working honest folks)( and not everyone deserves going through this. We have no "toys" boats, ATV's...what ever, we don't go out anywhere, we have a modest house)

Heck as you all know, my DH was out of work for 15 months but not for the lack of is looking. He spent 8 hours a day, every day looking, applying, sending resumes. Two problems kept coming up, sending US jobs overseas and companies like Intel, wanting their engineer's back at 3 month contract jobs and min wage. There is no way an adult with a family can live off that. Couldn't even afford section 8 housing!

So he had to go 3000 miles away to find a modest paying job.

OK the other problems was his age and he always seem to be over qualified. He is a good working, hard worker. Was hard on him taking that long to find a job.

He know's a lot of his friends, some with masters and PHD's that are still out of work, most of them willing to take 3/4 less pay and that is a lot but they are running to the same problems.

Really sad.

Those that did find jobs, have had to move from Oregon to TX or VA to find work.

I am stuck here until this house sells and I can't compete with all the foreclosed homes either. Have managed to keep our credit perfect even with all we have been through and don't want to give that up.

But there are times, I just wish I could buy a Motorhome and leave. Sigh ~~ I won't though, have too many other things going on to do that.

There are a lot of other issues the US has but if the Gov won't see the light, things are just going to get worse. We will end up being the next 3rd World country.

We do need the military, I know many don't see it but if it wasn't for the military we would be part of Russia or China by now.

And the only job my DH could find is working for a Gov Contractor. My family can't take another hit and have someone take his job away because they don't think there should be a military.

But I do believe the military should be for defense of the US only.

For the Middle East.. I hear everyone complaining about the gas prices.You want your gas and you want it cheap. Some raise fists to the Gov to sell people cheaper gas. Many drive gas guzzling Trucks and cars and refuse to give them up for something that gets 40mpg or better. But there is only so much Gas in the World. And that is the main reason the Gov Meddles in the Middle East, to get cheap gas the people in the US wants. Folks, we can't have it both ways.

(Added, I buy American with American made supplies any time I need something, will go out of my way to search for what I need. But there are some things not made in the US, like Toasters. :p)

With the global economy we are in and have been in for many years, it's going to be very hard for American manufacturing to thrive. Our citizens will not work for the tiny amounts people in other Nations will work for... We've really all gotten spoiled by how cheaply we are able to purchase most things. If our goods had to be made here, there would be riots about how much it costs to buy this, that and the other. My opinion is that there is not a bright future at all when it comes to manufacturing and the American workforce. I'm not saying I like it this way (I don't), I'm just saying I don't think it will change. Add to that the current reality that more Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining -and- utilities COMBINED! It's really just a big, stupid mess that has done nothing but get worse the past few years.
If our citizens will not work for sweat shop wages, then why are we allowing foreign goods to come into our country at such low prices? We simply are NOT putting high enough import taxes on those goods. If we did that, then the prices of the foreign goods rise and American goods are comparable in price. Also, all these American companies that go overseas are not paying the corporate taxes they'd be paying if they were here, but they are making all the huge profits.

IMO, we need to rethink the need for American unions. They are a huge drain on our economy. Once, unions were necessary and important, and did a lot to elevate the status of the US worker, but these days they are irrelevant. We now have federal laws in place to insure a minimum wage, good and safe working conditions, overtime pay, workman's comp. Why are we still supporting unions which further drain the economy by insisting on outrageous wages that make American companies not strong, but weak?

We've all seen what has happened in Wisconsin, how the unions held the state hostage and even shut the government down. Then there are the union bosses who control American politics. The unions elected Obama. Why does the head of the nation's biggest union meet with Obama in the white house at least once a week? WHO is running this country? Union bosses or our elected officials... or is there any difference?

I agree with a lot of what you just said regarding unions! I especially think that public employee unions do a disservice to US tax payers, and work to keep the slackers employed. In this day and age, I do not think we need any unions because the free market, when allowed to do what it does, will reward hard workers and weed out those who are not doing what needs to be done.

Before we look at unions or higher import taxes we need to look at our own tax system...it's totally polar to nurturing business which is what EMPLOYS AMERICANS!

Last year, in the middle of a recession, the libs in Oregon voted in a higher tax on businesses - it passed because the ads. suckered in people believing the "rich" weren't paying their share (which is what Obama is about to do nationwide)...the result of this tax forced my brother and I to lay off FOUR family wage employees and believe me - it was a HORRIBLE thing to have to do. The government doesn't seem to get that what they gain through those higher taxes on the "rich" they loose a thousand fold by 4 family wage jobs being lost forever, 4 people now on unemployment, 4 families now not paying their taxes, 4 people being subsidized by those still earning and paying AND a business who is being so crippled that we are SERIOUSLY thinking out outsourcing some of our input work to a business friendly country overseas - and believe me - that disgusts us - the thought of not being able to conduct business here in the USA, with American employees, because American financial policies make it so hard and other countries make it so easy.

It's NOT that we want to pay someone 10 cents an hour, pocket the profits ourselves and not pay an American $20 - we're more than happy to do that, we have strong feelings of responsibility to the community we live in - it's not the cheaper labor enticing us - it's the US tax system forcing us, and MILLIONS of other family wage jobs, out. You can't pay a decent wage AND get crucified with high taxes too - it doesn't financially add up. Something's got to give and the government 'ain't bending when it comes to higher taxes so it's the American jobs that are being lost.

As for the continual republican vs. dem battle....all I can say is "you're BOTH right, and you're BOTH wrong". Both parties have contributed to this terrible mess we're in (which is why I'm looking for a serious 3rd option) I came here from the U.K. 30 years ago - and I've watched the USA slowly slide down the path we're on since then. We've gone from a country built on small businesses providing family wage jobs, with hard working, proud people, to a country where everyone wants to get their free share of the pie. Well, stand in line, because the people baking the pie are quickly running out of ingredients.

Latest posts

Back