The World Show ( A chance to be heard)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are starting a new club in Virginia with the hopes of bringing a show back to the Virginia Horse Center. I will be posting more on this in the next few weeks.

What happened to Shanendoah Miniature Horse Club? We went to a couple of shows they hosted years ago. Miss them.

A lot of people have said there are no local AMHA shows. Why is that? Now with the requirements changing, why not?
The cost of putting on a show is astronomical! I know. I've tried. I happen to be the President of my "local" AMHA club - Gateway Miniature Horse Club. Never heard of it? Doesnt' surprise me. It takes a LOT of money for a club to get started and it takes successful (profitable) shows to keep a club going. But how does a club get that first show off the ground? Good question. If someone knows the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Our AMHA club has tried for YEARS to get things going. But any club treasurer will tell you you must have THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in your accounts to have a show. You must pay for a suitable facility (NEVER cheap), a qualified and reliable show manager (the worst thing you can do is hire someone inexperienced or have someone from the club try to do it - it's a HARD job), hire judges, measurers, insurance, ribbons, consessions, and the list goes on and on.

I would KILL to have an AMHA show in MO and I know there are so many others who would also. People ask me all the time when we're going to have one, and honestly I can't see it ever happening under the current conditions. I've even considered (and discussed) jumping in on an existing R show, but even then you still must pull your weight as far as expenses and we just don't have the funds. Period.

So that means folks from MO and southern IL have no options to attend "local" A shows. I drive at least 8 hours to get to one and if I want a "good" one (good manager, draws the quality horses so I actually have something to accurately judge my horses against) I have to go even further. Reducing the qualifying requirements does NOT change my situation. The shows just don't exist.
default_no.gif

And when it comes time for World, that's a 14 hour drive for me and the horses. I realize others come from farther, but a rotating location might be more equitable in the long run.

Adding to my earlier post - changing the qualifications should definitely help. It may entice folks to hold more AMHA shows. We used to have 3-4 up here on the North Coast, but couldn't make a go of it.

You have to have the "little guys" to make a show profitable. When big name trainers go to a show they will take a horse into typically the class they want to qualify for. So that usually means only one horse-one class. Occasionally an amateur owner will show up and take it in the ammy or color class, but again this isn't making the profit for the show. You MUST have the small farms/amateurs who bring 1 or 3 or 5 horses, and take them into multiple classes. When there were AMHA shows around here, if the big trainers came they usually took top prize, and that meant the little guy couldn't qualify. So they stopped coming. Then the trainers couldn't get enough horses in the ring to get points to qualify, So they stopped coming. Shows died.

If AMHA were to go along the lines of AMHR (can you put them both in one sentence?) then folks could come to the show with the intention of maybe 2 or 3 classes, but since they could potentially qualify for Worlds, you might get more people, entering more classes because it's fun again, not desperately striving to qualify for that ONE class.

Put another way, if someone needs to qualify for a class, they go to a show and show only in that class because if they don't get their points, they have to go to ANOTHER show. So they save their money and only pay for one class, one stall, per horse. This is not profitable for the show. But if qualifications changed to be like AMHR, they may only go to a couple of shows, but since they KNOW they can qualify, they can enter a few more classes - since they are already there - upping the profit for those shows. If this takes off, every show may have more class entries because people won't need to worry about travel dollars - they can spend more at the show.

I also agree about the plaques. They are nice to have, but a pretty ribbon displays nicely too

The cost of putting on a show is astronomical! I know. I've tried. I happen to be the President of my "local" AMHA club - Gateway Miniature Horse Club. Never heard of it? Doesnt' surprise me. It takes a LOT of money for a club to get started and it takes successful (profitable) shows to keep a club going. But how does a club get that first show off the ground? Good question. If someone knows the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Our AMHA club has tried for YEARS to get things going. But any club treasurer will tell you you must have THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in your accounts to have a show. You must pay for a suitable facility (NEVER cheap), a qualified and reliable show manager (the worst thing you can do is hire someone inexperienced or have someone from the club try to do it - it's a HARD job), hire judges, measurers, insurance, ribbons, consessions, and the list goes on and on.

I would KILL to have an AMHA show in MO and I know there are so many others who would also. People ask me all the time when we're going to have one, and honestly I can't see it ever happening under the current conditions. I've even considered (and discussed) jumping in on an existing R show, but even then you still must pull your weight as far as expenses and we just don't have the funds. Period.

So that means folks from MO and southern IL have no options to attend "local" A shows. I drive at least 8 hours to get to one and if I want a "good" one (good manager, draws the quality horses so I actually have something to accurately judge my horses against) I have to go even further. Reducing the qualifying requirements does NOT change my situation. The shows just don't exist.
default_no.gif

And when it comes time for World, that's a 14 hour drive for me and the horses. I realize others come from farther, but a rotating location might be more equitable in the long run.

I found out quite by accident that the Virginia Horse Industry Board awards grants to breed clubs to promote horses in the state. Our new club is being formed to take advantage of this and to also participate in the "Virginia-Bred" Program. We will probably start with the community shows and allow showing out of the trailers at less expensive venues and work up to the Virginia Horse Center. There is also the possibility of joining with clubs in surrounding states to host an A and R show at the horse center. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I plan to make an announcement in the next few weeks. If we are successful in the next couple of years, all of us involved will be more than happy to act as advisors. Our group is very interested in promoting the Miniature Horse.

Parmela, this is exactly what the new Community Shows and Youth Performance Shows are for! And they can be held starting 2012. Now is the time to start planning one or more. Cheap, easy to put on, and all the AMHA points for Honor Roll and all the other AMHA awards.

When the Oklahoma Club was dead broke some years back we started with a one day hardship show at a cheap show ground. we made enough from that one show to have a two day show the next year and it just took off from there. Start with what you CAN do and let it grow!

Personally, I would love some shows in MO!

Charlotte

So far cost, distance, and time away from home as being some major factors why folks don't attend. I am not sure if folks don't attend because of the classes offered or not offered at the World. It is clear that some would like some changes in class offerings. The other factor is lack of local interest or shows to prepare and qualify.

I did ask for reasons why people continue to support the Worlds. It is interesting that the word "fun " has not shown up much in the comments. I have never been to Worlds so I can't offer any perspective on that issue. So I leave it to those that know.

As I see it,

Ron

It is interesting that the word "fun " has not shown up much in the comments.
The question seemed more to be what you would change - not as much why you go. Who would want to change the fun? No one goes there not to have fun - no matter how much work it is. Even if you basically spend most of the time in the wash rack - which is what I have done in the past!
default_laugh.png

PS - you did not mention anything about fun, either...
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never attended the World. So I can not address the fun that is experienced there. I can say that I have attended Nationals and there is a great deal of fun happening at that show. The indication of having fun or what a great show National is has been expressed over and over in the postings on the other thread about AMHR National. Perhaps it is just my perception that the same tone is not expressed in the postings on this thread. As to my personal experiences, I will say that I stopped going in part to the regional shows because they in some ways stopped being fun or maybe I just had more fun at the local activities that became available than at the Regional show.

As I see it,

Ron

I have never attended the World
If you have never been there then you can't make any judgement.
default_smile.png

I've done both World and Nationals for years, since '94 and up until a few years ago. I never found one to be more fun than the other. They are each horse shows with some differences.

I don't think the replys on this subject can be considered as a valid poll as such because a large percentage of active AMHA members don't visit this forum. You are asking about AMHA and the majority of people answering are telling you that they are AMHR enthusiasts.

So since I go for the whole AMHA World Show every year, what would I change?.... Well... I love the facility...very clean with maintenance sweeping aisles every night. Exhibitors keep their areas very clean and neat. Lovely stall decorations. Great vendors. Beautiful show arena. Everyone is friendly and helpful. But for me the problem IS the facility which has raised rates substantially for AMHA. I hope another facility can be found which is as nice.

So that would be my thing to change...the facility. Only I don't want to give up the quality of this one.

Charlotte

Pie in the Sky time...

The AMHA needs to hire someone whose sole responsibility is to pursue corporate sponsors so it can stop asking its members and exhibitors to foot the bill for the World Show.

I attended the AMHA World Show every year from 1992 to 2007. I missed 2008-2010 because if work obligations precluding the trip in those years.

Things have changed since i began attending:

the stands used to be filled at night and people really got into the excitement of the show when Top Ten placings were announced at night. I think we lost a little prestige when we started awarding them during the classes in the afternoons or mornings. I understand the reasoning behind this (financial), but i think we really lost something.

When you show at this level, there should be some speactators in the audience. I am embarrassed when I show photos of my classes and all you see are empty seats.

there seems to be more down time during the show than there used to be with no activities planned.

I feel like the show has become more about "business." There are (were) fewer people walking around the barn areas and fewer barn parties. I feel like owners and exhibitors view the show as a something to get through as opposed to enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong - I love this show, but like everything, it has to adapt to the changing landscape of the horse industry.

If I could wave a magic wand and change one thing it would be to get corporate sponsor money to this show so every single expense isn't passed onto the exhibitor. Without sponsor money, those paying the stall fees and entries are the ones footing the entire bill for this show. AMHA members are very, very generous in supporting this show thru' sponsorships but the outside world hasn't embraced it. The AMHA needs someone to actively pursue corporate sponsorships. The loss of Alison Elrod will be felt. She did a great job while she was at AMHA. Hopefully, she will be replaced by someone who will be able to just do sponsorships.

Take a look at the list of sponsors for one of the largest outdoor hunter/jumper shows in the U.S. and compare it to ours:

Hampton Classic Sponsor List 2010

If that show relied on its exhibitors to fund it - no one would be able to afford to enter a single class.

I kind of disagree about the sponsorship thing. I think if you can't afford fancy stuff, you shouldn't have it. The trouble with fancy stuff, is that once you have it you want it all the time. Depending on someone or some corporations is fine if, but what if it is not there the next year.

Your are right Charlotte , I can't judge , but perhaps you should have read the next sentence of that response. However, I found your comment about active AMHA members much more interesting. "I don't think the replies on this subject can be considered as a valid poll as such because a large percentage of active AMHA members don't visit this forum."

Do the two shows appeal to a totally different clientele just like this forum? Maybe that is something that AMHA should explore also. As for me, I am done exploring for a while. I think there were some great responses to this topic. Thank you all for sharing.

As I see it,

Ron

OMG where have I been since this has been posted???

Why I attend the world show

I love love the class height splits I can show my horses in amt 30 & under woohoo

I love love love AOTE, now that class rocks. One of my favorites for sure

I love hanging out with all my friends that I dont get to see that often.

I love the jackets if you are lucky enough to win one, globes, plaques.

I love probably the most the furturity with the awesome payouts, sometimes pays for my entire trip motel and all.

I really like how they have the way of go, into the class, less stress trying to fight for position.

I love the level one and two, not that I ever got to show at the worlds as a one, burned through my points at local shows prior dumb dumb dumb.

I love Blue Ribbon potatos that Ed Sisk makes every year OMG, they are the best.

I could go on and on but you all would probably get tired of reading and quit,

Latest posts

Back