The Three Kings and the Star in the East

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
We have the most perfect skies for star watching at the moment which is awesome because my favorite event is happening right now.

The story of the Three Kings who follow the star in the east is seen at this time every year. On December 22nd - winter solstice - the eastern star Sirius comes to rest in the night sky at it's lowest point in it's yearly orbit. It appears to stop just above the horizon in the east. Following faithfully behind the eastern star are the Three Kings. The Three Kings point the way to the Star - they are in a line and if you follow them down they will meet Sirius. For three days the eastern star, the brightest star in the evening sky appears to stand still right above the horizon until the morning of December 25th when it once again begins it's ascension . If you go out and look just after dark tonight you'll see the eastern star, and the Three Kings faithfully following and pointing to it. If you remember where they are, go back out again in the early morning because at that exact place you'll see they mark the spot where the Sun will rise.

The farthest south the sunrise ever gets is on the winter solstice. At this point the sunrise changes direction and moves back towards the north. This marks the start of longer days, and a return to spring and summer. The ancient Egyptians celebrated this solar event it was “The birth of the Sun”. Just after Sirius comes into view above the horizon all four stars point to the place on the eastern horizon where the Sun rises on Dec 25th.

The three highly visible "King Stars" of the constellation of Orion form Orion's belt. In Egyptian texts the bright star followed by these three "kings," heralded the birth of Horus the Sun god. The star stood over and announced the place of his birth and was followed by the three kings. On Dec 25th he was born as the Sun rose after the winter solstice.

The appearance of the Three Kings in line with Sirius the Eastern Star occurred in the night sky over Egypt many thousands of years ago just like it does for us today, pointing to the horizon at the place the new sun was born at the winter solstice.

If you have any interest in Egyptian mythology or just like to watch the stars it's well worth going out this evening just after dark. The stars are only in this position for these 3 days before their orbit rises in the night sky until this time again next year.

We have bad weather coming in.
default_no.gif
Seems that for the last, I dont know how many, celestial events we have had bad weather. Hope you see it beautifully!

Oh I'm sorry
default_sad.png
We have clear skies forcast for the next week. That and the High Desert air lends to some incredible night skies. I'll see if I can get a picture for you
default_smile.png

Severe weather moving in tonight and it just now has started to pour. Looks like we wont be able to catch it either.
default_no.gif

Back