Ha, found out how Kody's keeping himself in shape!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
Poor Kody has always waited out the nasty winter months from October to February lurking in his stall or under a tree refusing to move because of the discomfort of his locking stifles. This means each spring we start our conditioning over from scratch with a fat, fuzzy horse huffing and puffing his way through five minute free lunging workouts.
default_rolleyes.gif
In 2007 we started serious training in January for the first time and still were barely CDE-ready by June because it took so long to get him back in shape for sustained driving work. Last winter he was on stall rest for weeks following his first stifle surgery in October then AGAIN in March when he had his second surgery that finally fixed the problem. So obviously that winter he didn't get much exercise either and it showed in the nice hay belly he had for most of 2008.
default_rolleyes.gif

BUT!!
default_new_shocked.gif

This is the first year since I've had him that his hind legs have been working normally over the winter. We gave him an exercise ball last spring and he enjoyed playing with it but mostly he'd roll it around at a trot and occasionally kneel on it or otherwise attempt to pop it, which he succeeded in pretty quickly. I tried a Jolly Ball which he ignored and finally in fall we bought him one of the big "indestructible" horse balls Jill uses. He thought that was great fun and discovered he could pick it up by the cloth cover and bounce it up and down incessantly as well as chasing it. Yay, happy horse! *LOL* Every single morning the ball is in a different place so I know he's been playing with it but I haven't seen him at his games in a month or two except for the occasional half-hearted shove. We've gone back to training and I noticed to my surprise that despite a full three months of really no work at all, this year Kody hasn't lost much of his edge. He's a bit, um, "fluffy" around the middle, but he's fit for work without any huffing or puffing and can go for an hour already without strain. I was like "What the heck?!"
default_wacko.png

This morning I got my answer.
default_laugh.png

It turns out that if you get up about the time the sun is starting to come above the horizon, especially on a snowy day, and look out the window at the paddocks you can see an interesting sight. By 7AM there's only a little pony standing at the gate, never moving as he stares at the house and awaits his breakfast. But at 6AM there's a wild stallion out there, picking up a ball almost as big as he is, drumming it on the ground, flinging it left and right like a terrier until it bouces off his sides and racing forward with it hanging from his jaws until he suddenly skids to a halt, rears to his full height and artfully flips it away to bounce down the hill so he can chase after it at full gallop then fall upon it in an ecstasy of aggression.
default_new_shocked.gif
My lord he was impressive!
default_laugh.png
He kept up this act for a full fifteen minutes at least which explains why he's in such good shape for sprinting and running at this point.
default_new_rofl.gif
Mystery solved!

By the time I normally look out the window he was once again standing quietly by the gate, pretending he'd always been there. The little con artist!

Leia

I love it!! I don't see my "boys" playing much either....but my neighbor reports their antics to me all the time!! Where do you get one of those "indestructable" balls??

LOL Leia! Hope you can get a video of him,,,once spring comes around and we have better morning light.

Here.. the girls just like to run around... not as much fun as watching boys play with their toys. LOL

gosh leia your so lucky ive bought nearly evry toy in the petshop and mine dont bother,

i got a sweeky toy that twinkle used to stand on out of temper but thats it lol

your lucky, its sounds like an amazing sight
default_smile.png

default_wub.png
Kody

Leia your message box is full and I needed to ask something;
default_sad.png
would you be able to PM me your email..
default_smile.png

I did try to get video but the only place to get good shots of the paddock is from my parents' bedroom window and they were both still in bed.
default_sad.png
No luck catching him since then! I do have video of him playing with it the day he got it though, I just need to get it online.

The ball is an Equi-Spirit Ball by Natural Horse Talk, available here. Kody's got the white and red soccer ball.
default_biggrin.png
I wanted the rainbow one Jill has but they don't seem to make it anymore.

Devon, my email box is at its limit too, which is why my PM box is still full! *LOL* I can't archive it until I clear some space.
default_wacko.png
I set up a new, temporary email address last night so you (and anyone else) can now reach me at "[email protected]" until I get my other box cleared out. Hope that helps! By the way, did you ever open your Secret Santa gift?
default_unsure.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia Tryst does the same thing, with that ball I made out of feed sacks and a pillowcase. One morning I found it OUTSIDE his 5' dry lot fence!! I do have pictures of him playing with it on my cell phone. He's BLATANT about the love he has for his toy.

I did try to get video but the only place to get good shots of the paddock is from my parents' bedroom window and they were both still in bed.
default_sad.png
No luck catching him since then! I do have video of him playing with it the day he got it though, I just need to get it online.
The ball is an Equi-Spirit Ball by Natural Horse Talk, available here. Kody's got the white and red soccer ball.
default_biggrin.png
I wanted the rainbow one Jill has but they don't seem to make it anymore.

Devon, my email box is at its limit too, which is why my PM box is still full! *LOL* I can't archive it until I clear some space.
default_wacko.png
I set up a new, temporary email address last night so you (and anyone else) can now reach me at "[email protected]" until I get my other box cleared out. Hope that helps! By the way, did you ever open your Secret Santa gift?
default_unsure.png

Leia
Thanks so much:)

Yes I loved it!! I have some pretty photos displayed in those frames now
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

OH GOODY!

These balls look wonderful.......do you have the 25 inch one? I'm going to order one!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back