The price of minis ... seem high these days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

loveminis

A little frustrated here. I have been looking for another mini. In this economy I am surprised at the high prices. Makes me think I should start breeding and ask $2500-3500 for weanlings
default_wacko.png

I know everyone says that quality horse bring high prices but do people really get those prices when they sell ?

Also I think people price higher for color.

Last edited:
A little frustrated here. I have been looking for another mini. In this economy I am surprised at the high prices. Makes me think I should start breeding and ask $2500-3500 for weanlings
default_wacko.png

I know everyone says that quality horse bring high prices but do people really get those prices when they sell ?

I'm sure you can find many on the Sale Board for far less than that. Maybe you have very good taste.
default_biggrin.png

Looking in places like Craigslist, I can find dozens of unregistered minis within a couple of hours of me for less than $500. I can find quite a few that are registered for less than a thousand. I believe you are right, though, that some people ask more just for color. Gender seems to come into it, too, I've seen quite a few that seemed to be asking more for a filly, any filly, than they were for a colt - and I really couldn't tell that conformation mattered at all in their pricing (but do you really want a horse from that sort of breeder?!) I'd like to believe that it is a case of "you get what you pay for."

Keep looking! There are excellent minis out there for less than 2k!

default_wacko.png

It really depends on what you are looking at. Those same weanlings that they are asking 2500-3000 for now may have gone for 5000 or more before. I'm not saying that you need to spend that much but you can't really expect to get good quality horses for "give away" prices.

Also while these people value their stock and think they are worth "good"prices, they have to be ready to keep those horses if they won't sell!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen lately (just my personal opinion) the horses are priced where they should be for the most part, with some being WAY below value - again, my opinion. But the $2-3k horses I've seen where worth it and the $10k ones I've seen were worth it. Doesn't mean I can pay $10k for a horse, but they were world quality horses. On the flipside, I've seen some on the saleboard for just a few hundred bucks that I thought were STEALS at that price. If I was in the buying mode, I'd be stocking up right now!

I am not seeing the deals here in Washington State, and to ship here from mid-west, east coast, Texas is expensive. I guess I am too picky.

what are you looking for ? if you want an older horse, a gelding , there are a lot out there , mares are normally a bit more expensive..If you want a good horse , balanced, correct , good bloodlines, then you will pay a minimum of 2000. and it will usually be worth every penny. Breeding a GOOD horse is not easy, you are paying for the breeding and their expertise . I dont suggest breeding yourself to make money, I dont believe breeders make that much money by the time you count the horses that for some reason dont make the cut, they still have to be fed , and cared for. 3,000 is really quite a fair price for a show quality horse.

but keep looking, you will find the right one. If you think shipping from Texas is expensive, try shipping from Texas to switzerland ...
new_shocked.gif

Last edited:
$2,500 - $3,500 isn't exactly all that high a bar. The problem's foundation, in my opinion, are all the people who have and do breed $500 horses.

For the past two years or so with the overall downturn in the economy I have seen the price of minis go way down. While it has been good for buyers it has been discouraging for sellers.

So I hope you are right that prices are going back up and maybe things are looking up for the miniature horse industry :)

On the other hand, I agree that there are still plenty of super good buys out there and on very nice horses also!

So I wish you Good luck!

Shopping for miniature horses is always such an exciting venture!! :)

Susan O.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for/at. If you are looking for small, double registered, show quality, top bloodlines, etc... for a 'pet price' then you will probably not find what you are looking for.

If you are just looking for a nice companion horse, driving gelding, pet, or whatever, then there are tons out there for less.

Keep looking, I am sure you will find something.

I have to agree with horsehug, in that there are ALOT of really nice, and yes show quality horses available on the saleboard, for next to nothing. Let's face it the economy is in the dumps, and alot of people just simply do not have the funds they used to for alot of things. "Keep looking", I know you will find what you are looking for...

in my area i havent noticed a whole lot of high prices, but there are some that are going for more. i got lucky with my colt, he was priced WAAAY below his value, but i'm not complaining
laugh.gif

There have always been $2500-3500 horses out there. That's sounds very reasonable. Many foals in our area range from $500 up to $4000. I guess it is all in what you want.

Now I have been looking at $4500-5000 foals... I think someone needs to shoot me!
default_unsure.png
default_new_shocked.gif

I would say the mini market is improving hugely. The future looks bright ahead.
default_aktion033.gif

I just thought in this economy I could find what I want for less LOL

Wishful thinking !

Last edited:
I am not seeing the deals here in Washington State, and to ship here from mid-west, east coast, Texas is expensive. I guess I am too picky.

Actually it pays to shop around as far as shipping is concerned. I am in the mid west and I just bought a horse in Washington state. I found a excellent reliable shipper and the price isn't bad at all.

We have sold four horses in the last two months- three were under $1000- two WAY under $1000. All four are AMHR/AMHA and only one was sold as a pet, simply because we found out she is sterile. They are out there...
default_wink.png

Wow I'm going to have to really disagree here. The past 3 stallions I have bought are phenomenal ...my dream stallions and were definitely priced thousands below what they should have been. I've been selling colts and mares for half the price I used to and they are better conformationally and color wise.

Going through my great grandparents books from the 70s and 80s, they sold minis up here in north dakota for 2000-4000. Most were B size with no pedigrees...now that tells you just how bad the economy is now

I just thought in this economy I could find what I want for less LOL

Wishful thinking !
I live in Washington state, too... I actually found a few horses that are really great deals! But then it depends on what you're looking for, I guess. It also never hurts to make an offer.

And I, too, have felt the pain of paying higher prices for horses with great color that tops off their great conformation or performance. It was sort of a goal of mine to breed those very horses and produce affordable, colorful show quality minis
default_smile.png
But I think the market took care of that long before I could!

Latest posts

Back