The Pinto Association

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorseluver

Reaction score
I was wondering about the associations like the pinto, or the blue eyed association. If you were looking at a mini, and they were registered with these types of registries, does that affect you're purchasing decision? I was just wondering how important they are to the mini horse as a breed.

If I were to register a mini with them that I had for sale, would it increase my chances of selling that mini because it would be triple registered?

PtHA matters to me because they have legitimate registry that tracks bloodlines and offers a World Championship show. Anything else, other than, AMHA/AMHR/ASPC doesn't matter and is a waste of $$ in my opinion. Personally, if it doesn't have rated shows then it's not worth my time.

I show Pinto and my horses are almost all triple registered. It probably wouldn't be my "deciding" factor in buying because Pinto encourages mini entries into their registry by keeping the registration fees low....so it's not like having to hardship into AMHA or the fees you pay to add AMHR reg.

I'm with Sedah (as usual). All our minis are registered with Pinto, but that is because we registered them there ourselves, knowing the rules and fees. Ours are also all AMHA registered and most are AMHR. Pinto tracks bloodlines, offers a National Show, nationally pointed local shows, a National and Local Pinto Queen, scholarships, and lots of awards. They publish winners of their awards (e.g. Pinto Champions, Legion of Merit) in their national magazine as long as you send in the photo and information when requested. I have been active in our local Pinto Club (New England Pinto Horse Association) for over 12 years and have seen the show entries increase for everything, including minis. Competition is getting stiffer all the time, such that minis that won a few years ago are having a much harder time today.

Now, for me, the fact that it is ELIGIBLE for registry in Pinto is a huge factor, but I don't care at all if the mini is already registered there.

Ditto. Mine are triple registered but that's just because I wanted to show in what's available and pinto is more available around here than AMHA or R. It still wouldn't make a difference to me in buying one as it is so easy to register with pinto.

PtHA matters to me because they have legitimate registry that tracks bloodlines and offers a World Championship show.
I agree with Txminipinto. Most of our horses are triple registered. Most of our clients want the horse PtHA registered too. ......... So I do THREE stallion reports! :eek: THREE foal registration applications! :eek: THREE transfers! :eek: (can you tell I don't like paperwork??) :bgrin

But PtHA is important to our clients so it is important to our farm!

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't base my whole decision on if they were registered Pinto...as long as their AMHA/R.

I agree with targetsmom:

Now, for me, the fact that it is ELIGIBLE for registry in Pinto is a huge factor, but I don't care at all if the mini is already registered there.
I always think of it as an added bonus if one was registered PtHA or even just eligible.

And what a couple others said, I only care about AMHA, AMHR, and Pinto - the others, I too, think are a waste of money.

We show Pinto but I would not make a decision based on wether a pinto was registered pinto or not to purchase it because it is easy enough to just register it pinto yourself since it is only a color breed the parents do not need to be registered pinto its just much easier we have only registered our pintos we show as pintos our other pinto broodmares are not registered pinto even though they could be but we are not planning to show them. If we were to decide to show them we could do it then

Lori

[SIZE=12pt] I have a question for the folks who are in the Pinto Assoc.[/SIZE]

It's been awhile since I checked it out but.... If you have a visual pinto foal (filly), by a visual pinto sire, and a solid colored dam but the sire had appy in it's background and the dam had appy in her background, could you still register the foal with the Pinto Assoc?

Thanks,

Joy

[SIZE=12pt] I have a question for the folks who are in the Pinto Assoc.[/SIZE]

It's been awhile since I checked it out but.... If you have a visual pinto foal (filly), by a visual pinto sire, and a solid colored dam but the sire had appy in it's background and the dam had appy in her background, could you still register the foal with the Pinto Assoc?

Thanks,

Joy
As of 2 years ago, they stopped tracing backgrounds on pinto. They now accept the visual pinto (having trouble remembering 2" are for mini). As long as the appy does "show up" on your filly there should be no problem. They will register minis by using copies of their AMHA/R papers.

As of 2 years ago, they stopped tracing backgrounds on pinto.
Just to clarify, this is only on miniatures. They still do it on the big horses, and maybe the ponies too. I interned at the pinto national office last summer and I was in registration and I think thats what I heard.

[SIZE=12pt]NOPE? BWMinis' could you please clarify
default_smile.png
I'd hate to waste money and time
default_smile.png
. The mare is a total visual pinto with no appaloosa characteristics. I sure would like to have her registered to allow her to show in that registry.[/SIZE]

Thanks to all who have replied
default_yes.gif
:

Joy

I have registered several horses with appaloosa in their backgrounds (and will continue to do so). As long as the horse being registered shows no appaloosa characteristics, they are accepted by PtHA.

There is one point you've all overlooked (and no, I haven't taken advantage of it either, but may at sometime in the future). If you have a mini that would be eligible for one of the "color registrys", be it pinto, buckskin, palomino (main registry doesn't recognize small equine, but there is another quite inexpensive one that does), cream, etc., registration in that organization would open up the possibility of showing your little guy in "color-breed halter" at your local open shows. Most of our County Fair and 4-H shows, and some of the local saddle-club shows offer that class, and even if there isn't another class in the whole show that you qualify for, that one appearance gets our minis out in front of a whole new "horse-crazy" crowd. Plus, often there's an open driving class, 54" and under halter, leadline, costume, etc. I've sold horses in the past just because I had taken something to a little open show in the area. It's a win-win, fun, inexpensive, new people, close to home.

No, it would not be a contributing factor in a purchase decision for me.

I could care less about either of those registries.

JJay

I asked this question as well and I decided not to unless there was someone I wanted to show. However I have heard the shows they have here in halter they show them more like stock horses and that is something I personally am not interested in

I think it is easy enough to register pinto if someone liked your horse and it was important to them they could do it themselves?

No, the only ones that really matter to me are AMHA/AMHR. I can always register a pinto if I want to,later.

Latest posts

Back